• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How do i "darken" a raw aluminium frame ?
  • jeb

Hello

I just stripped the paint of my santa cruz blur LT, and it is a bit bright now !

Can i somhow darken it ???

Like this intense frame here :

http://www.ihatebikes.net/media/gear…r/tracer_3.jpg

and some more pics :

http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?a=362

roblerner
    Free Member

get it dirty/paint it black/shoe polish

What do I win?

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Raw aluminium won't stay bright for long, if you don't get it painted or laquered it'll be minging in a couple of days with oxidization. At least it won't be shiny any more

jeb

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i had it raw for 4 days now, still bright….
    -but i even rubbed it with water/salt ! not that it made a big difference
    …. i wonder if i could a some chemical solution on it ?

Any chemist out there !!!???

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

In work we use Trichloroethylene which is a very harsh degreaser, the ally oxidises pretty quick after that if not protected, the better the ally the longer it will take to oxidise and I would imagine a santa Cruz is made from decent stuff T6000 series or similar. You could try a mild acid solution on it but don't blame me dude if it goes wrong!! Wait for the chemists to come on.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I remember learning in my chemistry lessons at school, that Aluminum quickly oxidised and form a "dirty" layer. However that layer was impervious to air/water, so the metal doesn't corode like steel. No idea if that helps you, I probably remember it wrong anyhow, was some time ago

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Just asked a mate of mine and he suggests getting it ball burnished if you can find someone with a big enough machine. Its basically rolled around in polishing stones which compress the surface. It will be darker after this and have a harder surface. There are loads of places that do it you'd just have to look up someone in your area

rebus
    Free Member

Caustic soda, will do a lovely job of turning it a dirty patchy grey

If that's the look you want?

nickc

Just ride it around, it'll go eventually 'specially with winter coming up

epicyclo

Forget the dark look. Polish it with Autosol and it will get a nice mellow look.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Caustic soda, will do a lovely job of turning it a dirty patchy grey

Erm.. isn't that the same stuff as sodium hydroxide?

In which case you might want to look at this experiment with sodium hydroxide + aluminium + water:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gihAT6eXaoc 😯

might not be such a good idea methinks..

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Incidentally – that intense frame looks like it's been anodised that (pewter) colour.

You might want to try something like that instead.

uplink
    Free Member

Caustic soda & aluminium are not good bed fellows

Sam

Caustic is a good way to strip anodising from Al. You don't want to leave it on too long though… Different series of Al will take longer to oxidise, 6000 will stay brighter, 7000 will go to a dull grey quickly, i suspect your frame is 6000. Anything basic should oxidise it, though how it looks after oxidisation will depend on the material. I'd go with polish as well, nice and shiny and it shouldn't take too much to keep it looking good given your frame material.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How do i "darken" a raw aluminium frame ?’ is closed to new replies.