Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • how do i convert to commuter bike?
  • easygirl

ok, got a titanium hard tail, 26 gears 22,32,44 tooth lx chainset

ive got some rigid forks for it, and want to make it into a commuter bike with a double crankset, with larger rings for speed.

What are the options, can i just change the front and front mech, or will i have to go the whole hog and change the casette and mech

thepodge
    Free Member

just the front stuff, maybe not even the front mech

stumpyjon

As podge says, but if you go over 48 teeth you will probably have to change the front mech.

steveh

Do you really need bigger rings? 44 should be fine especially with an 11 tooth cassette, you won't spin it out until well over 30.

If you do want to do it, changing rings will be fine and maybe a roadie front mech.

GJP
    Free Member

I would be tempted just to change the cassette to a 9 speed roadie cassette so your gear ratios are much closer together?

crispybacon
    Free Member

I put on 24,36,48T chainrings on my HT for commuting & it's still OK for riding off road & I'm using original front mech. It'll top 35+ on the flat & the higher gearing helps with the fitness off road 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

I used to run a 48/36 set up on my other two converted mountain bikes, runs perfectly well with a standard mtb front mech. An 11-25 cassette is much nicer to ride on the road than a 13-32 so depending on how many miles you're planning to ride really. I use an XT medium cage rear mech – haven't bothered fitting the 36/48 chain rings on this one, it rides fine with 44/32, and with a quick swap of tyres I can still go off road. Again depending on road mileage you may wanna get some slick/semi slick tyres.

Kev

juan
    Free Member

well stick slick on and keep your mtb ration you'll be fine.
    Or if it's dis compatible and you are feeling rich get some speed cities and get it ssed 😉

easygirl

thanks for advice
    saw the speed city tyres, which looked good, might go for them, my rims are dt 5.1, woul;d they be ok on the rims?

easygirl

will it fit

so would this fit my mtb wheel

juan
    Free Member

Well speed city are whole wheels 😉 but to answer to your question yes they will fit but only if it's a 8 or 9 speed hub.
    Now in the purest STW fashion I would ask why don't you go to the tip and buy some cheap road bikes 😉

samuri
    Free Member

all I'd do is change the tyres. You'll have enough gears.

no actually, I'd leave the tyres on so I could include some offroad in my commute.

All I'd do is say "You're my commuting bike now" and I'd be done.

juan
    Free Member

ROFL @ samuri.

tinsy
    Free Member

Yes it will fit easygirl, and that would be the max you need to worry about gearing… Samurai has the mot cost effective method..

easygirl

wont ever use it off road, ive got a 9 mile commute to work every day, dont want a road bike, so i want to make my hardtail into a speed machine!

dont really want to leave the off road tyres on, for using on road daily, they are too heavy and drag too much, know what samurai is saying, but its not occasional road riding i will be doing, its every day

zaskar
    Free Member

Just done the same with my alu mtb. Use the road bike for longer rides but mtb road ocnversion is so comfy and fun.

I have a 11-34 and will give it a try 2morro with 44 hone cranks.

I might go for the 11-25 option but I want the work commutes to be easy recovery rides and not training rides.

I used steel forks and the ride will be even better on your Ti-bit overkill but quality!

Just get decent slicks!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘how do i convert to commuter bike?’ is closed to new replies.