Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How difficult is it to build your own disc brakes
  • JonR
    Free Member

I fancy a nice set of XT M775 brakes and to buy them ready to fit they cost considerably more than it costs to buy the levers, calipers, hoses and oil.
    http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/BR_XT_M775.html?action=currency&id=GBP
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/112700.html

I’ve got a couple of rotors knocking about so that isn’t an issue, are there any horror stories out there or is it a simple plug and play then fill and bleed?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you can tighten a few nust and bleed brakes you should be fine
    🙂

snoopdog
    Free Member

agreed i have avid rotors, xt calipers and slx levers

aracer
    Free Member

I’m deeply disappointed – was expecting this thread to be a whole lot more DIY than just bolting bits together.

JonR
    Free Member

I’m quite relieved, I expected tales of people getting a nut a quarter turn out resulting in blood and hydraulic fluid all over the trail.

Marge
    Free Member

I too was hoping for stories of problems with honing piston bores 🙁

The use of the word build is a bit OTT….

molgrips
    Free Member

agreed i have avid rotors, xt calipers and slx levers

I thought that said “six levers”. My imagination briefly showed me an incredible multi-activated home-made brake system.. but alas it was not to be.

nickc

It’s easy. It was I think, the least difficult part of a recent build. It was, in fact having thought about it, almost disappointing.

snotrag

The use of the word build is a bit OTT….

Yup, thats what I thought too… Assemble, rather.

But, yes, its pretty straighforward, and Shimanos tend to be one of the easiest to bleed, and usefully if you do end up spewing fluid everywhere, its relatively harmless stuff, rather than corrosive dot fluid to melt your eyeballs out.

BillOddie

Agreed Shimano brakes are a piece of piss to deal with.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How difficult is it to build your own disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.