Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How can our BT business broadband go form 6Meg to 1.5Meg??
  • waihiboy
    Free Member

moved into new offices last year, had a new broadband line put in it was terrible, only getting about half a meg line speed, after months and months of hassle and calling BT they finally gave in and another engineer came out and fitted a brand new line (for free)…

When he left the following day they sent in a ‘BT Representative’ to fit the new hub, he fitted it and WAAAAAAYHEY just over 6meg speed!

we all jump around, email is faster web pages load in an instant….

come in the next day, do a speed check 1.5Meg?????????????

WTF!

Been trying to get hold of BT for the last few days to ask why?? We are paying for 8Meg (i know we wont get that) but how has it dropped from turbo speed back down to a crap 1.5Meg??

The only thing I can think of is they have locked the speed somehow?

(Moral of the story i know is to go with somebody else, who doesn’t have 300 departments that don’t talk to each other)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sack ’em.

FWIW, I’m on Virgin at home, paying for 4meg, getting 3.9meg
    😀

retro83
    Free Member

Maybe they’ve reduced the speed to “improve the stability of the line” like sky did with mine, (6 mb down to 3)

waihiboy
    Free Member

finally got hold of them!!

they said the line was activated on 5th march and there is a….

“10 day transition period for the line to stabalise and find the optimum speed, the line is capable of between 4>6meg if it does not reach this please again please call”

BULL (COUGH) SH*T

cp

it’s true! If you have a lot of noise on the line, then the speed will throttle back. it takes this as an average of time…

each time you switch your router/modem off, it re-calculates this speed, over a period of time…

muddy_bum
    Free Member

If you have a local network are sure they are not accessing the line at the same time as the test? (AntiVirus updates, Windows update, MSN etc.)

waihiboy
    Free Member

i do a test every day before anyone is in and before i go home… maybe they are right but now ive tasted the 6meg… i want it back 😥

-m-
    Free Member

BULL (COUGH) SH*T

No, this is a standard part of the process. The line speed will change intermittently while the equipment works out the optimum speed at which the line can operate consistently.

A bit like they told you really…

…and they have said that you can call them back at the end of this period if it’s not performing at the speed they expect to achieve.

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Your lucky with 1.5M, our so called business broadband connection often below 0.75M & our personal connection below 0.5M.

Price I pay for working from home looking out of my window up at the Malverns which are looking misty right now. Should clear by lunchtime for my ride to the “post office” though.

waihiboy
    Free Member

fair points from everyone and thanks will wait and see…

the frustrating part though is i can guarantee i could call up again now and they would tell me something totally different

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Last time I had contact with the wonderful BT they blamed the router, until I pointed out that they supplied the router. went quiet then

Knowing BT they’ll blame the pidgeons next for perching on the line 😥

-m-
    Free Member

the frustrating part though is i can guarantee i could call up again now and they would tell me something totally different

Unfortunately this is where you’re probably right in your criticism of BT (certainly in my experience)! Unfortunately some service providers are better than others when it comes to dealing with these kind of issues; some are much happier to fight your corner in dealing with Openreach.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on BT; I’ve run out of Valium…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How can our BT business broadband go form 6Meg to 1.5Meg??’ is closed to new replies.