Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • How can I secure my bikes in a wooden shed?
  • ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Dmiller, you're having a laugh that ground anchor is worse than useless.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

is how to do it, you could have got it made up for not much more than you paid for that junk hardware.

carlos
    Free Member

Good plan and well executed only issue I'd have is the anchor looks poor quality.

roddersrambler
    Free Member

A for effort,however i reckon a Hamster could eat through the lock in about 3 mins !

coffeeking
    Free Member

Certainly the loop in dmillers looks pretty easily choppable with minor bolt cutters. One of the major hints suggested by chain manufacturers is to make sure the lock doesnt rest on or near the floor so that you cant get the force on the bolt cutters that you usually would when using bodyweight. And 40mm rebar is thick enough to pose a problem to pretty much anything other than an anglegrinder or shape charges 🙂

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Squire ground anchors secured into a 6 inch thick concrete pad with extra reinforcing wires. Then the best and heaviest chain I could find. I think it's 11mm tungsten carbide hex, which is pretty hard to cut.

dmiller
    Free Member

IanMmmm – thats pretty much what I wanted when I started – very neat as well!

BallsofCottonWool – yeah the anchor is the weak point I think. However I have used that type of loop before with expansion bolts into concrete walls for livestock and the bolts have sheared before the loop broke. I dont know how easy it would be to cut it with bolt cutters? I think the picture makes it look thinner than it is.

I like the rebar idea – Im planning to move house in a year (or so) so will be building my own shed then and may just use that idea! Thanks.

Thanks for the comment on flickr – I had a cheeky look through your pictures and DSCF7675 looks like you were having fun. Love cycling in the snow myself.

Oh and that crap asda lock was there for the picture. Stronger lock going on tonight and chain on the way from a mate in the merchant navy that has swagged a small bit for me.

David.

project
    Free Member

[To make a shed anchor to fix to the wall, use someof thes, posibly double up and bolt through from outside of shed, can also be used to cover the hinges.Just hammer flat, also double nut it on the inside with some large washers.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Structural/Builders+Metalwork/Heavy+Duty+Strap+Bend+1600mm+Total+length/d210/sd2797/p43454

heresjonny
    Free Member

This has got me all worried, all my bikes hang from the ceiling unchained, and the garage door, has an old internal lock badly fitted by me, only the petrol mower is chained down and thats to the rowing machine, My bikes are not exensive, but they are the only ones i have and not insured seperatley from house/contents. Will be busy at the weekend I think…

Northwind

"One of the major hints suggested by chain manufacturers is to make sure the lock doesnt rest on or near the floor so that you cant get the force on the bolt cutters that you usually would when using bodyweight."

Yup. But it's complete cobblers, part of the snake oil the lock industry peddles tbh, just designed to make you feel like you're doing more to secure the bike than you are (and also because it's a handy getout if your chain gets cut). I'm always a wee bit wary about mentioning these videos, because of the source, but if you check youtube for "captain cropper", you'll see a wide variety of chains cropped with hand tools, both on the ground and in the air. Zanx (who made the videos) reckons it's easier to cut a chain in the air… But, you do have to be aware that the videos were made by Almax, a lock manufacturer, so not exactly unbiased!

brakes
    Free Member

where do you get rebar from? how would you bend rebar into that shape? or get it cut to length?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

look up steel reinforcing or concrete products and supplies in your local Yellow pages.

i used
    http://sitebuilder.yell.com/sb/show.do?id=SB0001838476000020

They'll cut and bend it to shape for you using big scary machines!

we had it bent to shape 98

Dywidag Tie Bar Systems

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How can I secure my bikes in a wooden shed?’ is closed to new replies.