Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How can I clamp a disk caliper to (Old) Project 2 forks?
  • franksinatra

I really want to add a front disk brake to my 20yr Kona which is used as my commuter / singlespeed fun bike. I have a spare wheel and old avid brake but stuck with the original P2 fork. Does anybody make a clamp that can be used to retrofit a caliper?

Ta

titusrider
    Free Member

dont know about a clamp but you can get one welded on by argos (bristol) or just buy a later model of p2 of ebay with one mounted already

http://www.argoscycles.com/renovation-pricelist.htm

wwaswas

cynic-al to the thread! cynic-al to the thread!

It’ll involve cutlery and won’t be pretty.

franksinatra

Thanks

I don’t have any welding tools or spare tea spoons. Would gaffer tape and zip ties be suitable?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Just get a new fork and save the hastle.
    You can get P2’s with 1″ steerer and disc tabs.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Would gaffer tape and zip ties be suitable?

Only if you wish to join the qualifying list for this years Darwin Awards

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, get one welded on or buy new forks, tho many new P2s weigh a ton.

I have of course used carbon fibre in this application and 1 out of 2 attempts are still working (the one that is barely used) 😛

I may have a 3rd attempt if the enthusiasm ever comes back.

franksinatra

Are there any firms in Edinburgh that do this type of work? If I’m getting a mount welded to the fork I may look into getting a sliding dropout fitted as well. And perhaps a rear mount. And I should get the original bosses removed. And I may as well get it powder coated…….

This is quickly snowballing

bencooper
    Free Member

Edinburgh, I don’t think so. I’m in Glasgow and do all that kind of stuff…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hendersons at Abbeyhill will do it, whether he has mounts or not I don’t know.

toby1

Sound like what you really need is the +1 bike at this stage!

Jerome
    Free Member

£30 for a new fork with a dics mount
    No brainer shirely..

kimbers

i looked into exactly the same thing

and quite frankly cost of disc tabs fitted, respray etc may as well just buy a new frame and forks!

Solo
    Free Member

Oh !, wait, its coming to me……, its your future…………..

I see a visit for you to your local Accident and Emergency department.

I’m not sure your Kona is designed to take the forces generated from disc brakes. You’ve been warned.

Hooter
    Free Member

Surely not a good idea? 90’s rigid canti forks seem to be much lighter than modern rigid disc forks. I’d always assumed it’s because disc brakes concentrate forces down one leg of the fork, and do so from the bottom of the fork, so need to be more strongly built. Canti/v brake forks would share the braking forces between each leg (and there are some force being applied nearer the top of the fork, so there would be less leverage on the fork crown – not sure about that though…)

So if you put a disc brake on a fork not designed for it, then you’ve got a good chance of bending/breaking one leg of the fork. Just get some new disc forks off ebay or whatever…

ndthornton
    Free Member

I think you should stick with the gaffer tape and zip ties plan – Id love to see a picture of the end product, and just imagine if it works – it will be the greatest bodge ever in the history of mountain biking!

come on!
    I wanna see it!!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How can I clamp a disk caliper to (Old) Project 2 forks?’ is closed to new replies.