Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How can I check if someone is hacking into my wifi?
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Its showing "thomson" device on my computer , my internet is provided by o2 is this the make of router they use? The internet keeps going on/off, using standard security .

geoffj

Google mac address filtering.
    (it's got nowt to do with apples)

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Trying to get my mac code but when i try and open "ipconfig /all" it flashes up and then disappears
    Help

cxi
    Free Member

Don't waste your time trying to setup MAC filtering, it doesn't add any security.

GrahamS

Trying to get my mac code but when i try and open "ipconfig /all" it flashes up and then disappears
    Help

Open a Command Prompt first (on XP go to Start->Accessories->Command Prompt, on Vista just type cmd in the Start Search box

THEN, in that command prompt, do the ipconfig /all

Don't waste your time trying to setup MAC filtering, it doesn't add any security.

It won't stop a moderately determined hacker, no. But it will stop someone just idly using an open wifi.

jonk

'thompson' listed is the modem part of the router. I had problems with the 02 router too it kept dropping so i replaced it with a netgear.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Graham s

I have tried this but the black box with all the info flashes open and then closes??? My internet say open network with WEP encryption.

woody2000

The O2 wireless box is a Thomson modem/router is disguise. If you're getting drop outs, try changing the channel you're using. Log in to the router as admin, then go to Home Network, Interfaces and then click on WLAN. You can select configure from the top menu, then change the channel. HTH

Skyliner
    Free Member

I've just seen that there are three devices attached to my Wifi and I have the only laptop in the house, i have logged into the Sky router admin page and it looks like two other people are enjoying internet at my expense. I have their IP adresses is there anything I can do to tel them to effoff? Thanks.

easygirl

just set up a password on your router, then without it no-one can use your wi-fi

GrahamS

I have tried this but the black box with all the info flashes open and then closes??? My internet say open network with WEP encryption

sorry, should have been clearer, I meant once you have opened a Command Prompt then that is where you should be typing ipconfig /all

Maybe these guys can explain it better:
    http://bandwidthcontroller.com/tutorialFindIpAddresses.html

Though it sounds like you don't need to worry anyway.

GrahamS

Skyliner: you can do all sorts of fun things to wifi leeches if you are pretty technically proficient. A favourite is to scramble the web pages they are looking at.

But I'd settle for just disconnecting them as they are probably your neighbours.

Dougal
    Free Member

Did this in our old flat (turned images upside down for anyone not in our trusted list): http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

GrahamS

Yep, that's what I linked to Dougal (via boingboing).
    Though I prefer the blurry-net version 🙂

Skyliner
    Free Member

WOW, didnt realise you could do that. I will be the first to admit it all looks beyond my capabilites to set up. I've gone for the switch the router off and re-named it "VIRUS ROUTER". Although I was thinking to call it "RYAN YOU PR1CK" after the Device name RYAN-PC attached to my wifi. I may ask my i.t friend to come in and do the flip screen thing! Shame I dont know who it is tho! Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How can I check if someone is hacking into my wifi?’ is closed to new replies.