Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • How can a LCD TV screen be soo unprotected?!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

They aren’t that delicate in general. I reckon yours must’ve been under stress of some kind – maybe the mount wans’t straight or the TV has been assembled out of alignment or something.

hora
    Free Member

It wouldn’t have happened if I had a Works Component fitted

Graham_Clark

Ours was broken by our son too… He did throw a PS3 controller at it though (it ‘slipped’ out of his hand!) Home insurance paid up no probs, and it won’t affect the premium, etc. as we haven’t claimed before…
    That’s what it is there for…

GrahamS

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    LED tvs dont crack quite as easily.

Various People – Members
    Erm.. LED TVs are LCD TVs

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    Speaking from experience with regards LED TVs. Our LED tv has had way more punishment than what caused the LCD tv to crack.

Singletrack – where you are always right, even when demonstrably wrong. 😀

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

GrahamS – Think about the construction of the whole TV before being a muppet.

bigyinn
    Free Member

hora – Member

Isn’t this what home contents insurance is for?

Is that a knee-jerk reaction that you’d apply or would you chase down every avenue first? My home insurance is super-low and I’d like to keep it that way. I’m chasing this down to see if theres a satisfactory resolution first.
    You mean who can I blame rather than take responsibility for what happened?
    I dont see how there can be any other resolutions other than pay up or claim on contents insurance?

wwaswas

Raid his sons savings account?

That’ll teach him.

hora
    Free Member

Raid his sons savings account?

That’ll teach him.

Partly my fault.. earlier that morning we’d been outside throwing snowballs at each other 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Well, knee-jerk or not (it bloody hurts to knee-jerk at the moment actually), you’ve asked the shop and they said it was too expensive to repair.
    Oh, you mean you thought there would be a STWer more expert than the employee at the shop?

wwaswas

I suspect hora’s going down the ‘it’s a manufacturing/design flaw so can I have a new one for nowt’ route.

GrahamS

GrahamS – Think about the construction of the whole TV before being a muppet.

Right. Thought about it. Still a muppet.

Can’t think of any reason that the glass would be necessarily be tougher on an LCD TV with LED backlights than it would on an LCD TV with compact fluorescent backlights.

Care to expand on your point?

hora
    Free Member

Ah, here we have an early morning moshpit

richc
    Free Member

sounds like shit parenting to me

DezB
    Free Member
    SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

GrahamS – how many layers to each screen, how compact are they, what are they made of and how do they effect the strength of the scree?

hora
    Free Member

Don’t feed the Troll.

GrahamS

GrahamS – how many layers to each screen, how compact are they, what are they made of and how do they effect the strength of the scree?

Isn’t it basically the same LCD panel, but with different backlighting?
    So from the LCDs to the front glass should be exactly the same construction, no? Same amount of protection from flying LEGO.

Behind that most designs just use LEDs around the edge instead of CCFLs, which lets them make the back unit a bit thinner, but I can’t see how that alters the strength of the front screen?

Don’t feed the Troll.

I don’t normally but I’m genuinely interested.

hora
    Free Member

Ha, not you the RichC young boy from Milton Keynes.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Think of the whole screen.

GrahamS

Think of the whole screen.

Are you The Riddler? 😕

My first is in LCD, but not in LED.
    My second in glass, but not in crack…

A straight answer is fine. Why is the LCD better protected in LED backlit tellies?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Why is it not? You’re the one that’s saying they’re the same – prove it. Surely it’s easier to prove than disprove. Fill your boots.

GrahamS

🙄 Never mind. I naively thought you had an actual point to make.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘How can a LCD TV screen be soo unprotected?!’ is closed to new replies.