Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How brilliant is this, 280miles of lost cycleways
  • kimbers
    cinnamon_girl

Just been reading that! Shame there’s hardly any in the Southern half of the country.

scotroutes

Bindun.

They’re not lost. The ones I looked at on Google Streetview are in use as, err, cycleways. Well, plus there’s one that never existed as the road it is supposedly beside wasn’t built until the 1990s.

Drac

I’m confused. The one near Morpeth can’t be right that part of the road didn’t exist until the 80s

scotroutes

See above 🙄 😆

Would anyone really want to invest in a project that is so poorly researched?

Drac

I stopped typing as the local girl was on Master Chef. 😀

Drac

Ah!

Most of the 80 or so locations for the 1930s-era cycleways are believed to be in the right place on our Google Map because they have either been visited in person or checked out on Streetmap. However, some are indicative rather than definitive. All of the schemes have been identified through mentions in period sources (such as a newspapers) but today’s road alignments and road numbers are often very different to those of the 1930s, and we may have dropped some pins on wrong locations. Further research will be needed – such as digging out period plans – before every pin can be, er, pinned down.

milky1980
    Free Member

Good idea, be interesting to see how much can be reinstated, although I think a lot is being used anyway. The nearest one to me shows it as the A470 by Upper Boat, there’s no way that’s savable or even safe to ride! Maybe they mean the Taff Trail next to the road?

All the ones they show in the video with cars parked on them. Guarantee if they try and reinstate these there’ll be uproar about where they park now!!

epicyclo

milky1980 – Member
    …All the ones they show in the video with cars parked on them. Guarantee if they try and reinstate these there’ll be uproar about where they park now!!

When I lived in North Queensland we had nice bike lanes separated by a broken kerb from the road. Sure enough car drivers started using it as a car park making it impossible for the kids going to school to use the lane. No amount of polite notes changed a thing, and the police weren’t interested.

One night a certain rather well known mountainbiker in the area went out with some mates and rode the entire bike lane on BMX bikes. Apparently some kind locals left 4 wheeled obstacles on the path, but these were quickly mastered and much fun had. There was much spluttering and expostulation from the obstacle owners the next day, but they got the hint.

riddoch

There is one shown local to me, I thought it was a bit odd given it’s shown as being on the main road round the 1950s built new town so in the line of the road wasdifferent in the 30s.
    I did find a OS 1938 map online but confusingly it had been updated with 1961 roads

slowoldgit
    Free Member

There’s one on their map that I remenber from the sixties: tree-lined road with cycleway and footpath, all separated by grass verges. The cycleway tarmac was uneven with broken glass at intervals.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not sure that’s important in this context – the point is the space is there.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I take your point. I wanted to show it was there but not valued and unusable in the sixties.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How brilliant is this, 280miles of lost cycleways’ is closed to new replies.