Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • How big is your ring?
  • gonzy
    Free Member

32t up front with a 11-36 cassette on 26″ wheels

samuri
    Free Member

Well it’s not quite as low as folk running a triple will have, which was my point. You were implying that a 42t sprocket would give some insane low gear.

My apologies.

30:42t WILL give an insanely low gear. Is that better?

cokie

32 on the SS 29er
    34 on the Orange 5 650b
    34 on the 29er Chumba
    36 on the Kona Explosif 650b
    (11-36t cassette on all).

superfli
    Free Member

32/11-36t on 650b FS and 26″ HT.
    Seems good for me.

njee20
    Free Member

My apologies.
    30:42t WILL give an insanely low gear. Is that better?

It’s clearer! what gearing have you got on your MTB?

edd

30:42t WILL give an insanely low gear.

30:42 gives a ratio of 0.714
    24:36 gives a ratio of 0.666

ie A 10 speed triple (24-32-42 with an 11-36 cassette) will give a lower bottom gear. Thus I would hardly define 30:42 (which is a harder gear) as “an insanely low gear”.

Edit:
    Even if you run a 10 speed double (26-38) with an 11-36 cassette the easiest gear ratio is almost equal:
    30:42 gives a ratio of 0.714
    26:36 gives a ratio of 0.722

simondbarnes

Thus I would hardly define 30:42 (which is a harder gear) as “an insanely low gear”.

It’s lower than I have on my double setup

robj20
    Free Member

Its higher than i have on my single setup.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s clearer! what gearing have you got on your MTB?

34:16 😉

42:16 on my CX. I’ll admit though, that’s sometimes a struggle to get up the big hills. I make funny faces.

Edit: I’ve no idea what is on my geared MTB to be fair, it’s a double but I’ve not ridden it for years. It needs new brakes and wheels. And apparently a cassette that bangs against protruding rocks.

robj20
    Free Member

Why would it bang against rocks?

ks562
    Free Member

32 with 11-36 out back. Scott Spark 26. Might stick a 30 on for big mountain days though.

samuri
    Free Member

Why would it bang against rocks?

It wouldn’t, it’s a joke.

miketually
    Free Member

I briefly had 1x 9-speed on my MTB; a 32t chainring with, I think, an 11-32 cassette and 26″ wheels. That was a silly low ratio and I’d not bother going that low if I went 1x again. My cx bike has a compact double crankset and an MTB cassette so also has a 1:1 lowest ratio which I don’t think I’ve ever used.

Garry_Lager

Running a 36 here – [no other choice with my crankset]. It’s on a 26 whippet that climbs great, so there’s nae bother for most riding. 34 would prob be marginally better for me, but doubt there’s much in it.
    Would ideally fit one of those big cassette rings for long days, but not gotten round to looking at them yet.

trickydisco
    Free Member

36 / 11-36 here. Left over from a week in the alps. Have ridden cwm carn a couple of times and its a bit of a grind. A weekend in the peaks and i’d have to get something smaller

stoney
    Free Member

XX1, 28 up front, 42 rear. North Lakes, so you all know how hilly it is up here!!!!

BTW, the front ring is starting to “hook” and not letting go of the chain cleanly, only 6 months in….

arcadian
    Free Member

Old bike was 32t up front with 11-36 on back. Up in Aberdeenshire for most of my riding and managed fine, but it’s not super steep here. Managed a few rides in the Cairngorms ok but struggled on long steep climbs but that’s mostly down to me not being the fittest and not enjoying pedalling uphill (rarely motivated to burn energy flying up a hill!).

New bike is X1 with a 34 tooth front chainring, so wondering how I’ll get on! Hoping my legs will just get stronger rather than I suddenly can’t make it up hills anymore 😆

kristoff
    Free Member

have been running 34t with 10-42 xx1 for the last year on 650b without too much bother but I had a spare 30t so that’s on at the moment to help with long steep climbs. Mainly down to my lack of fitness no reflection on the bike.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘How big is your ring?’ is closed to new replies.