Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • how big is a maxxis ardent 2.4???
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

looking to run one 650b exo TR as a rear tyre – i used to have some 2.25 26″ and they were big enough

sadly they dont do the 650b 2.25 version TR only the 2.4 TR

it still only weighs just 750 grams, so weight is a non issue, it will still roll decently and it should plough over the peak rocks pretty well too, it also has EXO sidewalls so sounds the perfect rear tyre for the peak in spring/summer/autumn

is it actually going to fit as a rear tyre?

qwerty
    Free Member

is it actually going to fit as a rear tyre?

Depends on the frame, Shirley.

sam_underhill

Do you really need the TR? Could you just go for a regular EXO 2.25 or even the kevlar EXO? I’ve never had a problem getting regular maxxis tyres to go up tubeless. Is the TR just a badge that they are now sticking on their tyres?

weeksy

on the 29er version… bloody massive !

I couldn’t run on the rear of my bikes.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i did think about just trying the 2.25 tubeless, but then if it doesnt work, im out of pocket 40 quid, and i will only run them tubeless, i also know how easy there TR tyres to get on tubeless, so dont want the hassle and stress of it not seating/burping etc

it must be designed for some bikes or they wouldnt make it, though i can vaguely remember my 2.25 26 being huge!

just think for the weight/rolling speed and volume it would make a pretty nifty rear peak district tyre

chiefgrooveguru

What’s already fitting in the back?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

a 2.2 trail king, so fairly big volume

BadlyWiredDog

The 26″ 2.4 version is pretty big, slightly taller than a Minion DHF 2.5 but also a little narrower. It also has deeper lugs than the 2.25 and isn’t quite so fast rolling as a result. It fitted in the back of a Ragley Ti but was overkill really. I’d go for the 2.25 EXO personally, there’s a TR version in 26″ don’t know about 650b, went up in seconds with a track pump on a Flow rim.

Is the TR just a badge that they are now sticking on their tyres?

Different bead, snugger fit, nominal weight gain I think.

chiefgrooveguru

http://www.reifenbreiten-datenbank.de is very useful!

As BWD says, the 2.4 has bigger knobs (a lot bigger IMO, enough to make it much more useful as a front tyre) so won’t roll as fast.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers BWD

Sadly looking on maxxis site I can only see 650b 2.25 EXO and 2.4 EXO TR so no 2.25 EXO TR according to their table 🙁

Can’t really understand why but there you go

Maybe a touch overkill then, I’d be happy with the 2.25 if they did it Exo Tr

Cheers chief will have a look at the table, didn’t really think the knobs would change just kinda thought it would be casing size only

guitarhero
    Free Member

Not 650b, but I’ve just measured;
    29 x 2.4 Ardent EXO (not TR, but run tubeless) at 60 mm at widest point
    26 x 2.25 EXO TR at 56 mm at widest point.
    The 29 er is on a Flow EX, the 26 is on a 33 mm Light bicycles rim
    HTH

stevied
    Free Member

If I remember correctly the knobs on a 2.25″ are about 2.5mm deep, the 2.4″ is about 4mm so a fair bit deeper. The 2.4″ works really well on the front.

kimbers

Im in a very similar position to the OP

Brant reckons that the 650b Smorgs(very similar tyre and made by maxxis) will be in by the end of the month, Id like to wait for one of these but not sure if I can

chiefgrooveguru

29 x 2.4 Ardent EXO (not TR, but run tubeless) at 60 mm at widest point

Same rims as my bike which has a 27.5 Trail King 2.2 on the back – I measured that last week:

Trail King 2.2 Protection 27.5
    Carcass = 59.6mm (2.34″)
    Tread = 54.0mm (2.13″)

So if a Trail King 2.2 fits then an Ardent 2.4 should!

I’ve noticed that on quite a few Maxxis tyres the knob sizes/heights change with carcass width – both High Rollers and Ardents are like this.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers chief

may just give it a whirl then! what size rim are you using? mine is 23mm inner and 28mm outer which may play a part in sizing width

weight wise its lighter than my trail king 2.2 but still has the exo casing and TR (the 2.4) it still should roll as well as that too id expect

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm id been forgetting about the ardent race!

comes in 2.25 with TR ECO and 3c, tread pattern isnt too much different than mavic roam xl (which is enduro racing designed) and not much less knobbly bits than the ardent anyways

guessing it will still be a high volume casing just the same as the ardent too

could well have found the ticket

HR2 2.35 EXO 3c TR upfront & Ardent Race 2.25 EXO 3c TR on the rear

kayak23

The 650b version of the Ardent is a tad smaller.
    I have the 26″ version and a mate, the 650b one. His looks lower profile, and even the knobbles look shorter.

BadlyWiredDog

The Ardent Race is ‘only’ 2.2 and slightly smaller than the 2.25 Ardent all round. Nice rear tyre, I used one at the Dyfi and it was a good balance between grip and fast rolling-ness, I reckon it would make a really nice Peak District rear tyre.

The other tyre you could look at if you want big and fast and Maxxis and don’t mind paying almost 50 quid for a tyre would be the Ikon 2.35 – bigger side knobs than the 2.2 Ikon, blows up big and round, very fast, not as stiff in the sidewall as the Ardent Race even in EXO version and feels a bit floppy at lower pressures. I reckon the Ardent Race is probably a better trail tyre, but the 2.35 Ikon is higher volume.

I seem to have a bad tyre habit 🙁

chiefgrooveguru

The 650b version of the Ardent is a tad smaller.

You have to wonder if rulers are banned at tyre manufacturers?!

That’s on a Flow EX rim which is 25.5mm inner and 29.1mm outer, with very low rim sidewalls.

If I was living in the Peak I’d probably run a Schwale Rock Razor SG out back to go with the Magic Mary I have up front – there’s too much loose dirt/mud around here for me to cope with such a low profile tread on the back, hence I run a Trail King.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

BWD – we should get a room you and i always end up discussing my tyre quandrys 😆

sounds good then, to be honest ive used a ardent in the peak before and remember it being a decent all round, but as soon as winter came it wasnt great (which will be the same with the race, and im happy with that)

great to know you think it would make a good rear tyre given you ride alot of the stuff i do 😉 ikon ive looked at and looks really quite too racy and sidewalls as you say are thinner than ardent with exo

weight is light for the exo 3c ardent race , a claimed 690….but ive felt the sidewalls and they still are as thick as a spesh grid/ground control

i reckon its worth a punt, even if its slightly less volume than the 2.25 ardent, its still going to be a similar size/volume as my trail king 2.2 at present

jameso

On a 29er but 2.4 EXO Ardents as my go-to drier conditions tyre here, not a fan of the 2.25 version (too small – and a fair bit smaller than a 2.2 Trail King) unless as a mixed/wetter conditions rear with a grippier tyre up front. Worn-down 2.4s make a good rear if you want a faster-roller )
    tbh I think the volume and ability to use less pressure helps the 2.4s roll well, tread is less important unless on really smooth hardpack.

chiefgrooveguru

tbh I think the volume and ability to use less pressure helps the 2.4s roll well, tread is less important unless on really smooth hardpack.

That’s a good point. I notice that the Trail Kings roll horribly slowly on tarmac, especially at the low pressures I run when it’s wet, but once you get onto the trail they whizz along far faster than such a big knobbly tyre should!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

wellll…ive just been to collect a hr2 exo 3c TR 2.35 for the front, and ive gone with 2.2 ardent race exo 3c TR for the rear

guy in lbs runs them as his go to setup and rides the same stuff as me, he just bangs on another HR2 in winter months (as id plan on doing and as a mate already runs)

shop didnt have 2.4/2.25 ardents anyways, but luckily had one each left of the hr2 and ardent race

i compared the tread of the ardent to ardent race and as you’d expect there really isnt that much difference, the tread is shallower and thats about it (so it will roll quicker)…..its still a high/big volume tyre which is good news too and the sidewalls seemed really quite thick on both with EXO protection

now just got to get the buggers inflated, something ive failed to do with conti trail kings and a track pump on my sram wheels 🙁

downhilldave

I have Sram Rail 50 wheels (650B) with a 2.4 Ardent Exo TR on the rear and it comes up at 60mm knob to knob,carcass is 57mm and weighed 762g. Not had chance to try it yet 😐 (parents not playing ball,both quite frail)but all being well this weekend. Went up very easily,fitted it lubed the rim with Stans and used a Co2 to bang it up,let the air out added some Stans and Bob’s yer uncle. Was fancying the Hr2 3C combo but want to see if it’s Ok with my 2.35 Hans Damph on the front first. Let me know how you get on with the Hr2 exo 3C on the front and what size they come up at please. Oh and actual weight. Ta

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

DHD

i have those wheels too, so im hoping i was just unlucky seating my contis with them (first time ive ever failed to get a tyre seated tubelesss 🙁 )

hopeful tonight will fair better, though lbs have offered to do it for free if i fail so not gonna get too stressed doing it tonight 😆

will let you know, they are faily big tyres, my mate runs one up front already on his enves and they are a good big volume tyre (protect the rims a bit more)…will be testing them tomoz

did you try with a floor pump first with the ardent? did it go up ok with that? or just straight to co2? hopeful it was just the contis being a bugger to inflate, as maxxis are possibly the easiest tubeless tyres going to seat…fingers crossed

downhilldave

Tried with a floor pump, but the Co2 works every time. Serial tyre swapper I’m afraid. Like trying new stuff.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

dave – i failed massively again, so it wasnt my contis, these rims for what ever reason i cannot get to seat with a track pump

maybe needs another layer of tape maybe?!?!? pain in the arse though

soooo given you tried and failed, please recommend me a co2 please? ive been thinking about getting a co2 for ages so now seems the perfect time

down to lbs at dinner to plead for help 🙁

downhilldave

Hi OW, sorry for not getting back to you earlier~I work nights. Just use a cheapo lifeline from Wiggle with 20 Oz cartridges. You need to make sure the tyre is NOT sat right into the central well especially by the valve. I get the outside of the tyre and pull it across to the opposite side of the wheel to try to pull the bead out of the well.If you have the bead quite a way into the well you will loose all the Co2 😐 Its a bit trial and error Tbf I have done it maybe 20 plus times and still cock up.Always have the valve on top and use the Co2 as a single burst. The Ardent wouldn’t seat first try so used used a small paint brush to apply some latex around the tyre bead as a lubricant and it flew up. Seats with a right bang Btw. Have shown riding buddies this method after they struggled. Hope this helps 😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers DHD

lbs have said they reckon the c02 would work on them too, they used the compressor and it went up pretty instantly

sram have told me that the rims are designed for UST tyres only and even he has failed with a track pump tubeless…..

they popped on good and proper at the lbs just so they are on for now, hopefully i wont need to take them off anytime soon, if i do im gonna invest in some c02, if i get a major puncture ill just have to inner tube it…

cheers though will keep this in mind next time i have to get the bugger seated again

downhilldave

What weight and size did the Highroller come in at? Let me know how they ride please. Had UST Bc Rubber Queens on my Turner and loved em but the side walls are too prone to chaffing. Have Hans Damps but always fancied trying Maxxis hence the swap.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘how big is a maxxis ardent 2.4???’ is closed to new replies.