Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How best to sell my car?
  • bumley
    Free Member

Whats the best / safest way to sell my car??

bruk

Best privately, most likely to get best price.

Safest, probably trade in at garage, probably still a better price than webuyanycar etc.

bumley
    Free Member

thanks bruk

Have been given price by a garage, but coz i'm not buying another one/no px the price they offered is really low 🙁

mboy
    Free Member

Autotrader?

Ebay?

Sell it privately, you'll get a lot more for it.

What car is it by the way? And can I be so rude as to ask what you've been offered?

EDIT: If you just wanted a quick sale, I know a couple of mates in the trade that buy cars for stock. Being as they're independent, they would pay a bit better than your usual main dealer trade in prices. Though you're still much better off selling privately.

bruk

Try webuyanycar etc as you have nothing to lose upsetting the garage. Difficult time as they are likely to get an influx of 2nd hand motors with the new reg plate in March so probably don't want lots of stock.

bumley
    Free Member

Maverickboy, its a peugeot 107 56 plate, was offered £2750, dealer had 2 on forecourt older and higher mileage at £5995!!

mboy
    Free Member

What's the milage milage, Specifcation (ie. any extras, what trim level?) and the condition, got a full service history?

£2750 sounds very low, just gonna have a look see what the book says…

BTW, 107 should be VERY easy car to sell privately. Small, economical to run, very in demand this kind of car right now. Selling to the trade could cost you the price of a VERY nice full suspension bike!

bruk

Quick nosy at Parkers suggests p/x should be £3705. Private £4200 for a 3dr 1 litre with 40,000 miles.

I wouldn't settle for £2750.

Jamie
    Free Member

£2750?

Did the bloke at the garage look like this?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

How much is a 107 new? £6500k
    Car is 4yrs old
    £2750 sounds about right for 'trade' which is all the garage can offer when the seller isnt even buying another car off them.

As mentioned above, private sale as its a good size, but its harsh to slate a garage who is doing his job, and imo doing it properly. Would you expect them to stand it in at similar money to the other two they have in stock? Not the way it works unfortunately when someone asks for you to buy their car. You offer an amount your willing to pay. It doesnt make them crooks, it makes them sensible

mboy
    Free Member

As mentioned above, private sale as its a good size, but its harsh to slate a garage who is doing his job, and imo doing it properly

Totally

BUT, with a little bit of knowledge, you can save yourself a whole heap of cash!

Depends on milage and condition, but prices quoted above by bruk are a very good guide. If it's an average milage and condition car, with a full service history, I'd imagine you'd not have any trouble shifting it for £4000 privately having listed it at £4250.

bullheart
    Free Member

What ever you do, don't trade it in for magic beans. My missus when spare when the garden became unmanageable, and the goose honks all bloody night.

Glad to be of assistance.

Being serious, my old man's a dealer, and even he's been having difficulty getting hold of decent cars to move on. It's still very much a sellers market, so don't be dicked about by shady dealers – they're all trying to increase profit margins at the moment due to vehicle unavailabity. Also, yours in in the most sought-after category; supermini. Cheap to run, low road tax, etc.

nickjb
    Free Member

ebay is pretty good. Do a search for completed listings to see what they are selling for. Its good, cheap advertising, too even if you don't actually sell it through ebay.

cp

autotrader website – accessible, can see pics of the car etc… do it privately, swat up on what you need to do paperwork wise (easy actually) and wait for the emails & calls.

the 107 isn't your typical peugeot tat as it's developed by Toyota (see also Aygo and Citroen C1), so fundamentally sound. Just built by Peugeot. So once you get over the initial bits falling off thing, they're great very relibale cars.

woffle
    Free Member

stick it in the stw classifieds…

bumley
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Mileage is 47,000, it is in good condition, almost full service history.

Woffle thanks I did put it on STW classifieds but no one looked!

spence
    Free Member

almost full service history

For a car with less than 50k miles isn't so good – missed one in four. Saying that the offer seems a tad low but as stated probably reasonable. However the "best" way to sell a car ie get rid of it, is to reduce the price.

The 107 is built buy a joint venture company in the Czech Republic with the others mentioned and has been tarred with the same Toyota brush, rightly or wrongly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Woffle thanks I did put it on STW classifieds but no one looked!

Keep trying.
    I've sold a £1k car, a £5k motorbike and a £3k motorbike through the STW classifides by various means. It's faster, easier and cheaper then Autotrader or Motorcycle News IMO.
    Yes, I did bung STW some wedge for the adverts too.

You need a nicely written, but above all HONEST advert, with a link to some decent pics of the car, from all angles inside and out, on Photobucket or similar. Price, contact details etc.

And NEVER EVER EVER put 'ONO', 'OVNO, 'offers' in your advert because you're immediately ripping yourself off. It's surprising how heasy it is to sell for asking price if you've priced corectly and got a nice clean shiny car to sell!

DezB
    Free Member

STW classifieds again – then Autotrader.

I sold my old Saab in 5 minutes on Autotrader. Lots of decent pics, paid for a 2 week ad and an hour later had the cash in my hand!

STW generated some interest, but it was the wrong time for people to come looking (snow!)

hora
    Free Member

bumley I used to own a Aygo. Whats wrong with it/when you say 'almost'- elaborate please!

Also- pics and loads more info???

mcmoonter
    Free Member

STW is a great place to buy a car from.

I've bought two at very reasonable prices. I've done 20k miles in a year in the C5, and I'm off to France tomorrow to deliver a Passat I bought for my sis.

bumley
    Free Member

Hora – When I say almost, I mean its had 2 services from new. There is nothing wrong with it, I have a company car now so I don't need it. It did have a big scratch in the drivers door (got keyed) but thats in being re-sprayed now! Hence no pics at the mo.

Its black, Mot and taxed til Oct, and yes you can get a bike in the back with the back seats down!!!!

jedi

oh is that the black one i saw you in last year? nice!

bumley
    Free Member

Yeah Jedi thats the one! 😀

hora
    Free Member

Two stamps? At what mileages?

bumley its the same as my old Aygo.

Email in profile for all info.

juan
    Free Member

Put one of this swimming pool shot in the ad and say you'll deliver the car in person….

Ok Ok Ok

IGMC…

bumley
    Free Member

Lol at Juan!!

bumley
    Free Member

Hora – Can't see you email in profile?!?!? I'll check the details for u and send u a message on FB

alwyn
    Free Member

PISTONHEADS

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How best to sell my car?’ is closed to new replies.