Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How bad are the Midgies on WHW at the moment?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hoping to do a chunk of the West Highland Way this weekend and wondering if I need to add DEET to my already heavy rucksac. I’ve half convinced myself that because it hasn’t rained for weeks and the frosts have already started then there won’t be many about so I don’t need repellent.

Which of the three counts am I wrong on (rain, frost, repellent?)

iainc

they were fine at weekend, but there was a breeze. If it’s still they will be out in force 🙂

lovewookie

they were out a fair bit last night, but generally have been OK in the daytime unless you stop for half an hour.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Its reasoably still and pretty warm in Scotland at the moment – at a guess I would say they’ll be out in force getting some fresh blood before the end of the season 🙂

I wouldn’t Go without DEET.

lowey

Scottish Midge Forecast.

Pretty accurate.

bigyinn
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter whether Scotland votes YES or NO a week tomorrow, they will still stay no matter what.
    (That is what the vote is about, to get rid of midges, isn’t it?)

theupsetter
    Free Member

friend just doing WHW in a day at the moment – first message received “fixing puncture getting eaten by the wee bastards” – started at 3 am and just of the devils stair case 1 hour ago

robdob
    Free Member

The midges really put me off Scotland. I love the place but it’s a real problem for me as I am allergic to insect bites. Not dangerously so but even after taking antihistamines a bite will always result in an angry itching spot. Being as I seem to be a fine delicacy to the damn things you can guarantee they will be all over me the second I am out of the car.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Robdob just go between October and May. No midges then. And autumn/winter is the best if you can wait for the good weather.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The midges really put me off Scotland

To be fair you get them in the lake district too.

lowey

To be fair you get them in the lake district too.

Not to anything like the extent they are on the west coast of Scotland.

I experienced midge Armageddon in Torridon the other week. Within 5 minutes I couldn’t even see the words “endura” in white on the back of my gloves.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I did the Ben Lomond loop yesterday with a pal which eventually took us down the path to just short of the Inversnaid hotel. Didn’t see / feel / observe one of the critters. It was a glorious day, with zero wind…normally idea conditions for them.

Top of Ben Lomond loop by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How bad are the Midgies on WHW at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.