Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • How are your New Year fitness goals going??
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Noticed a lot more people back in the gym adn pool today trying to reinstate their resolutions.

How are you getting along?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Bad shoulder + too much cake = pretty shite 😐

derekrides
    Free Member

Fine thanks how are yours?

warton
    Free Member

not bad, put on a few pounds over christmas, just doing a bit of base work till end of feb, then I’m going to pick up the intensity in time for crit / TT season

iDave
    Free Member

pretty badly here. nobody’s fault but mine.

weeksy

pretty well, i’ve done 200 miles off-road this year and am on a healthy eating regieme…. time will tell if it gets rid of some of the lard.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Pretty good thanks Derek. Went a total of 13 times last week plus three bike rides.

Not lost any weight but my stomach measures smaller than I can ever remember.

Kevevs
    Free Member

It was going great till I met some mates on friday and got stupidly pissed. Oh whell!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with getting drunk Kevevs.

MSP

Going fine, entered a half ironman in august for motivation, upped my running mileage but won’t be going to the pool until feb, hopefully most of the new years resolutioners will have given up by then.

soobalias
    Free Member

riding is up, running is down

rest are progressing nicely

kudos100
    Free Member

Shite. My shoulder is still knackered, so I’ve been out of the gym for a month. I’ve still got an nagging cough and cold, so no riding for the past week. Roll on February……….

RustyMac

Not really a New year fitness goal but a continuation from you winter fitness goals tread –

Things were going well, had bee riding once/twice a week through the cold weather then the most annoying cold got me in mid December, the damn thing wouldn’t go away. My fitness has dropped off big time, not aided by the excess of the festive period.

Time now to re-double my efforts so I have decided i’m going to do a bit of running to supliment my riding to help with my lack of endurance. The hope that by spring time i’ll be able to run the few miles into work and back each day then look to exetend the runs every now and again.

So does any one know any good training plans to get me into running – going from never having run any distance to being able to run 5-10K.

molgrips
    Free Member

A bit better than before Christmas, to be honest.

Struggling not to go and get a cake and a latte though. Mostly down to my mood being rather low. My body is actually fine with the black coffee and the iDiet lunch it had.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Running is my major weakness at the minute… concerned that I don’t want to wind up with an injury, I’m just running relatively slow 5-10k, but looking for resources as to how to progress?

MSP

So does any one know any good training plans to get me into running – going from never having run any distance to being able to run 5-10K.

Do you have an alternate method for getting home?

My suggestion would be to get a heart rate monitor and run in keeping your heart rate below 80%, if it goes above walk for a while. Once you can do that, add an extra day running in for a couple of weeks, but still using an alternate method of getting home. Then add the run home ect.
    Up to 20 – 30 km a week you can progress quite quickly if you already have biking fitness. Then you need to build slowly from there.

molgrips
    Free Member

TSY – flat shoes. It’s the true way, it’s hard at first but you will run without injuries… At least that’s the theory 🙂

I find running slowly introduces biomechanical issues that can cause injuries. Better to run fast and have breaks than to plod, imo.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got Nike Lunar glides or something at the minute… how flat are we talking?

andytherocketeer

Badly. Need to do about 3x more to get back on target. Although the target is totally arbitrary and meaningless anyway (aka a nice round number that was higher than last year).

finbar
    Free Member

I came third in a hilly five miler on New Year’s Day, haven’t done anything much since.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Cycling has increased, swimming going well, as are long mountain hikes and scrambles.

Unfortunately food intake has increased due to (a) biking with girl friends so cafe stops are essential; (b) meeting a rather nice chap who insists on supplying me with chocolates (well, it would be rude to refuse, wouldn’t it …)

So if the energy input continues to increase, then the energy output needs to increase too – unfortunately my legs are somewhat knackered!

RustyMac

Do you have an alternate method for getting home?

I currently walk to and from work 95% of the time, only ever take the bus if the weather is really crap. It is only a 30-40 minute walk at a couple of miles. As i get into running and I am comfortable at that distance i can go a different way and head to a park on my way in and then build up to doing a lap of the park on my way to or from work.

I have always been rubbish ar runnung any distance, i used to play squash a few years back that is very on off sprint stop sprint stop which is hopeless for any distance and always struggle by going too quick then needing to stop.

Klunk
    Free Member

put on half a stone in three weeks over christmas even though i rode more than usual 😕 😳

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Exercise good – averaging 10 miles a day on the bike. Going to try to get that up to 100 miles a week.
    Drink – OK. Sainsbury’s having alcohol-free Erdinger Weissbier on offer has largely helped me stay off the beer, a perennial Achilles heel for me.
    Diet bad. The missus is studying for exams and has stuffed the kitchen with biscuits and choccy bars which are proving difficult to resist.
    Only half a stone off my target weight of 12 and a half stone though, and seeing gradual improvement in time, speed and endurance on the bike.

The real test will be when the winter finally brings some wintry weather as I am the definition of a fairweather cyclist.

Keva
    Free Member

the only goal I have at the moment is to sucessfully rebuild my injured left calf muscle. It seems to be coming along ok, I’m at the walk /run /walk stage but it’s going to take a few sessions of A.R.T. (Active Release Technique) to hopefully get rid of some unwanted scar tissue that appears to have built up, start that on Wednesday. Apart from that swimming is ace, I’m still riding to work and as usual no weight gain 😉

Kev

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got Nike Lunar glides or something at the minute… how flat are we talking?

I’m talking no support. Make your feet do some work.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s that a picture of? I just get a red cross.

I’ve wondered about bare foot running shoes… would need some suitable for quick tranisitions for triathlons.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Absolutely bobins. Injured my knee a week before Christmas doing matial arts so haven’t been out mtbing since the middle of December. Stuffed my face over the holiday period and put on 7kg. Managed to loose 2kg since then by just dieting alone. Hopefully back on the bike this weekend. As for goals I’ve got some Brazilian jiu jitsu comps this year ( first one in April ) and I want to fight at middleweight so I have to get down to 80kg ( currently at 86kg). Should be able to do it, I hope 😐

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pretty good ta, completed 1650(k’s) so far on the roadie, not touching the mtb’s yet, hope to do 2500(k’s) bythe 15th of Feb.

13thfloormonk

Getting better… Was still struggling with really painful tension behind my shoulders, but some expert advice from SBZ and a subsequent relaxing of the position on my road bike (thank god Realman isn’t around to see it 😉 ) has got me inspired to get out a bit again. Just focusing on short rides and lunch time laps of Arthur’s Seat at the moment, not managing much consistency though.

Had a good December in the mountains, but after 3 weeks out we did 3 munros on Saturday which totally wiped me out! A little alarming but I’m putting it down to being kept awake by someone snoring in the hostel.

Now not sure if my goals are

– get sub 5hr fit for some sportives in spring/early summer

or

– try to reach 100 Munros before September.

Currently the second goal is looking more achievable…

mazz
    Free Member

Pretty good thanks.

Been to gym a number of times (a necessary evil – not something I look forward to). Been out on the road bike couple of times, and hope to do more. Back in the pool next week.

Only downer is feeling a little under the weather today – so haven’t been to gym.

Put on 4lbs over Christmas eating, drinking and not going to gym. Lost it again now – just over 11.5st

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘How are your New Year fitness goals going??’ is closed to new replies.