• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mmb.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How are the Purbecks at the mo'?
  • matthewlhome
    Free Member

Just wondering what the trails down in the Purbecks are running like currently?

Am off to Corfe Castle area next week and umming and ahhing about taking my Cross Check rather than MTB.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

monday bump – anyone? Basically wondering if lots of mud etc about.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

no replies 🙁

i'll risk it then.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Pretty sandy at the moment although the recent rain has made it a bit better. The golf course stuff like Franks is deep sand in places. The grassy stuff like 9 Barrow Down and Old Harry are fine. Short travel hardtail or short travel full suss is ideal at the moment. Cross bike would be interesting but a bit hairy (or slow) on the downhill stuff i'd have thought.

When are you down?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

from next saturday. will probably only get 1 long ride in but hope to go along the ridge, down to old harry etc and perhaps across the heath round studland etc. Was thinking that the cross bike could enable a couple of extra sneaky quick rides out though.

Hmm. Perhaps will pack my super fat cross tyres too. What is this Franks and golf course stuff though? Sounds interesting…

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

The area from the Studland road towards Rempstone Forest upto and including Isle of Purbeck golf course. Basically the heath stuff from Studland and then keep going up in the direction of the 9 barrow ridge. Franks tank is the climb/decent from the top of the golf course to the water bowser tank thing with Frank written on it.

Big group rides on Wednesday nights (will probably need lights now), something could be arranged another evening, potentially with me, mmb, Dr P and/or anyone else who's about.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

thanks for the info rusty. I have mentioned a night ride to my wife but i dont think that is an option – 7 month old daughter is on hols with us so best not to push my luck too far 😉

will have an explore – was mostly worried about recent rain making everything sticky, but all sounds good at the moment.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Nah, it needed the rain to firm the sand up a bit. My little lad is 7 months old to, i get away with 1 night a week leaving the misses to put him and the 3 yr old to bed.

mmb
    Free Member

was out on saturday afternoon and the going is good at the mo.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How are the Purbecks at the mo'?’ is closed to new replies.