Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How are the Halfords Tow Bar Carriers?
  • SaxonRider

I know we’ve discussed quality differences in carriers before, but I would like to get a 3 (or 4) bike tow bar carrier, and am wondering specifically about the quality of the Halfords products.

I am well aware of the risk to other road users, as well as to my bikes, in the event of failure due to poor quality.

Any experiences appreciated.

EDIT: And I should also ask: Are there brands other than Thule that are worth looking at?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Have a look on here Saxon.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

Cougar

What he said.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve had my halfords 4 bike carrier for nearly 4 years now. Took some setting up initially to get it to sit tight up against the tow bar before clamping on. Its never let me down, each bike is fixed via webbing type straps with sprung loaded clamp. When I first saw them I thought no way will they hold but they’re brilliant. I got probably 20 odd in the pack. It weighs a fair bit though and seems hugely overkill for just one bike. At the time thule didn’t do four bike versions and it was by far the best price.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes there are other brands worth looking at. Thule stuff is great and my usual go-to brand for stuff like this. However when I went for a 4 bike tow bar carrier I just couldn’t justify spending on the Thule or similar. I don’t mind paying the premium for something like a roof rack that will be on permanently and I know from experience Thule will last whereas other cheaper alternatives don’t, but I don’t need that level of quality for a tow bar bike rack that will just be used occasionally, so didn’t want to pay the premium – with the cost of the tow bar I was looking at the thick end of £800.

roofbox.co.uk is a good link and I eventually went with the Buzzrack Quattro, which has been great. The only downside is its weight, but using it occasionally that’s not really an issue. In fact I think the basic design of the thing is better than the Thule and similar top of the range racks too and is alot more flexible in terms of how you can mount your bikes.

If you do think you might like to keep the rack installed for long lengths of time then take a look at Whitter. They do a 4 bike rack that can fold up vertically when you’ve not got bikes loaded onto it. It isn’t cheap, but if that is a feature you might like I don’t think i’ve seen it with any other manufacturers options.

milky1980
    Free Member

If you can’t afford a Thule/Altera then go for a Buzzrack from Roofbox.

They’re a little heavy but solid as hell and work.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mates got a thule tow bar mount and the frame clamps are a nightmare when combined with our two frame shapes it’s just a pain and we end up chucking one in the back of his mondeo to make it quicker/easier.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you are getting a four one you really need to look at your static load weight limits as you will need a fairly hefty car to legally use it as the weight of the rack and the bikes will be 60-80 kg

DickBarton

Which Halford bike rack? I’ve had a very quick nosey and I see Thule and Witter…both good manufacturers of racks…

pyranha

We’ve an Atera and the only problem is that the wheel straps are too short for fat bike tyres – but I just thread a ny,in strap through.

Tracey

I’ve still got a halfords one for sale that was never used £70 collected from South Yorkshire

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-new-helmet-padded-bike-bag-tow-bar-bike-carrier-used-forks-wheels

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

I would take the rack if still available please?

Tracey

Still available for collection.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

I work in Sheff – so no issues 🙂

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Is bag still up for grabs?

Tracey

Bag also available. Email in profile to sort it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How are the Halfords Tow Bar Carriers?’ is closed to new replies.