Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • how am i gonna get a disc on this?
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Kona A 2003

?

ok, so the front is no issue, but i want to get one on the back. got the bike 2nd hand back in spring, but want to run discs over the winter – currently got HS33s.

rear has track ends, and is alu.

a) get a new back end – later ones came with sliding dropouts with disc mounts (will these fit older frames? how much? where from?)

b) find someone who could weld it onto alu (again, how much, where (near st andrews) etc?)

c) any other ideas?

i know i could just get a new frame, but i can't afford that, and i like the current one…

fanks!

trail_rat
    Free Member

plate drop out adaptor by A2Z tom !

Job done -will even stay inline as you move the wheel

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

where from terry?

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm deeply suspicious of attempts to put discs on a non disc frame. The stays might not be designed for those kinds of load, however you fix the caliper on there.

Don't think you have many options.

Olly
    Free Member

like this.
    cheapest and easiest for sure.
    as molgrips says, will stress the stays a lot more, and they wont be designed for it.
    Then AGAIN, robot built aluminium is tough as hell so i dont think i would worry tooooo much, just something to be aware of…

personally i would just get a disk on the front and stick with Vs on the back, but its your bike 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

forgot about that – i remember my mate had one of the first disk compatible stinkys back in the mid 90s and kona just welded on a disk mount to the standard frame

It snapped ….

fozzybear
    Free Member

wo wo wooooo there…
    none of this is needed just get hold of the right dropouts..
    buy this
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-kona-a-frame-singlespeed-fs-frame-just-95-posted-

or ones like this

psychle
    Free Member

sorry… my frame has now been sold, so I can't help 🙁 But the A2Z adaptors look about right don't they?

Olly
    Free Member

welding will affect the quality of the alu.
    wouldnt even consider that myself.

Stick with Vs on the back, and keep an eye out for a correct back end with a smashed up front end on the bay-of-ease

fozzybear
    Free Member

if you can find an old explosive you can just swap the dropouts.

fozzybear
    Free Member

also have you contacted kona?
    they are always helpful when i e-mailed them.

nickc

If you contact Paligap, I think you'll find that the seat stays for A's are the same as some models of Kikapu. Just order some that have a mount.

oopnorth
    Free Member

I used one of the A2Z mounts on an old kona frame. I ran it for a couple of years with no problems whatsoever. Cheap & solve the problem.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

do the A2Z mounts work with track ends then??? the slot drop out type.
    from the photo above looks like vertical dropouts???

would love to add sliding dropouts, but i can't to the frame in question. will have to have a think about it, and the expense… just found out the reason i have more money in my bank account than i thought i would have is because a former housemate paid a month's extra rent 🙁

kinda666
    Free Member

My mate uses on on his ti airborne with slot dropouts with no probs!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘how am i gonna get a disc on this?’ is closed to new replies.