• This topic has 34 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by g5604.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Household light bulbs
  • dawson

Anyone got a good source for light bulbs?

Energy saving, bayonet fitting

Was looking on the bay but they don’t seem that cheap, and possibly dubious quality

Cletus
    Flaperon

Or Screwfix. Or IKEA.

Murray

Now that they’re mainstream, any supermarket although I really like Philips – they don’t lie about lumens.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I need to change 7 in the kitchen from halogens to LED’s. Screwfix keep having deals on.

leffeboy

any supermarket although I really like Philips

agreed. I refuse to buy any Philips products other than lightbulbs, it seems the only thing they make that work well. Probably because they don’t have any software in them 🙂

rene59
    Free Member

I just replaced an old energy saving lightbulb (one of the first ones that came out) today with an LED one from Tesco on a spur of the moment buy. What a difference, instant full brightness, not like the ‘warm up’ time of the one it replaced, much whiter light as well. Think I’ll be replacing them all for LEDs.

project
    Free Member

toolstation are the cheapest 1 year guarantee as well, write date installed on side, and return them when thy go dead within a year

cp
    dawson

Thanks, I’ve got a Screw fix close by, so they’ll do me

CountZero

I’ve replaced pretty much every bulb in the house, many of which were shitty Mercury vapour ‘energy-efficient’ bulbs with LED ones from Wilco’s, and that includes the fluorescent tube in the kitchen, those you can get for £7.99 now.
    I’ve also replaced two small strip lights that were under a kitchen wall cupboard with LED lights from Aldi.
    Wall spots from Ikea now have LED lights in, I’m pretty certain there’s only one ceiling light with an old-school incandescent bulb in.

singletrackmind

SWapped out a 30w candle filament for a 4w LED inside a ceiling rose in my bathroom. I swear the LEd is brighter than the candle bulb it replaced at 1/7th of the wattage.

Murray

I’ve still got two 100w incandescent bulbs in the attic but as they get less than an hours use a year they’re staying until they blow.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I fitted some Toolstaion Golf ball bulbs in my lounge ceiling light during the Summer and the Wife hasnt noticed so they full marks from me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

toolstation are the cheapest 1 year guarantee as well, write date installed on side, and return them when thy go dead within a year

Or pay a bit more and get something that lasts. Replaced all mine with led when I moved in 5 years ago-mostly osram bulbs

Have not replaced one since.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Don’t buy cheap ones…they don’t last…take it from me…the worst are the crap make from B&Q…..I’ve swap all mine now for Phillips

cinnamon_girl

Slight tangent – noticed a retailer was selling desk lamps with LEDs (costing up to £300) that were non-replaceable as they claim their lifespan is 20 years. Having returned several LEDs that stopped working at just over a year old I really can’t see the point of buying something like that.

spursn17
    Free Member

I replaced the bathroom halogens with LED’s and now the DAB radio can’t find a station? It’s definitely the lights as when I turn them off the radio works.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We’ve just filled a house with Ikea ones. the 1000 & 1800 lumen ones are fantastic, really bright and spot on for colour. We bought some EXPENSIVE GU10 LEDs for the kitchen and bathrooms and sent them back because they were no better then the ones that were in the units when we moved in. (They were already LEDs but I didn’t check, assuming they would be halogen)
    I’ve also got 4 Hive bulbs to go in this week, we shall see what they’re like……
    (They were free with Hive from Screwfix)

sweepy
    Free Member

Led hut for me, they had the warmest light available when I looked, and dimmable should I ever get round to changing the switch. I’ve been replacing the halogens as they go but if I had any sense i’d just change them all now. Up to a year old and no casualties yet.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I’ve done my whole house up and changed all the bulbs to the LED ones from Screwfix. Seem very good and a nice warmish light rather than stark white.

neilnevill
    Free Member

+1 for don’t get the cheap ones from b and q (diall?), or supermarkets. +1 for Philips. They last far far longer (I’ve not had a philips one go yet) and they are lovely on brightness and colour/they don’t lie so you can choose what you want.

Phil_H

I refuse to buy any Philips products other than lightbulbs, it seems the only thing they make that work well. Probably because they don’t have any software in them

Yup, we are cursed with a Phillips Dali system at work and it’s shit 👿

newrobdob
    Free Member

I’ve done my whole house up and changed all the bulbs to the LED ones from Screwfix. Seem very good and a nice warmish light rather than stark white. They sometimes do the fancy LED ones that look like old fashioned bulbs really cheaply – got a few for 99p which is a bargain and they are great for feature lights.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

2 or 3 years ago I replaced my whole house to Philips LED instant super bright bulbs, looking and performing like old bulbs used to, not sure of cost but maybe £7 a bulb. I get the impression things haven’t move on that much since (pretty sure I’ve read that LED tech has now stalled, maybe just a bit cheaper).

jamj1974

Boringly, Another +1 for the greatness of Phillips and the crapness of Dial from B&Q bulbs.

wicki
    Free Member

any one reading from France there is government scheme to give you 25 led lights for 1 euro. its simple to fill in the online form

https://www.mesampoulesgratuites.fr

Murray

spursn17, were they 12v? If so, you probably need to replace the drivers as the old ones built for 50w halogens don’t work well with LEDs drawing 3w

pictonroad

I replaced the bathroom halogens with LED’s and now the DAB radio can’t find a station? It’s definitely the lights as when I turn them off the radio works

Yep. Negated any savings on electricity use that year for me once I factored in the cost of the external DAB aerial. I’ve left the halogen in the bathroom for now for this reason.

dropoff

I replaced everyone in our house just over a year ago and theyre all doing fine, came from the pound shop total cost £37 as we have a few 5 lamp fittings. Did it just to see if they were any good really and have been pleasantly suprised.

Flaperon

pretty sure I’ve read that LED tech has now stalled,

How can you say it’s stalled when you can buy this?

DT78
    Free Member

*want*

I have a mixture of Phillips hue, ikea and some random stuff off amazon. The cheap bulbs from Amazon buzz ever so slightly and do not work with a dimmer, despite being marked as doing so.

I also have a couple of radar dusk sensor bulbs off amazon, these are awesome, replaced horiffic looking old PIR outdoor lights with nice lanterns in keeping with the house and added these bulbs. Works great, range isn’t amazing on them though. Did have one in the hall lamp, but they don’t stay on long enough really. Brand is minger

fossy

Mainly all Osram or Philips LED’s, including candle bulbs. The previous “halogen energy saving” candles used to blow all the time, and they aren’t cheap.

Changed all the bulbs in the house, especially the rooms where lights are left on for some time. The main advance has been warm tint LED’s rather than the horrible blue/white tint that was available initially.

footflaps

Most of ours are now Screwfix LED. Very cheap and seem to last OK for now. Only failures I’ve had have been LEDhut LEDs, most of which have died after 2 years.

g5604
    Free Member

I replaced all of mine with diall 4w gls filament led when the were reduced to £2 from screwfix.

Turn on instantly and give a warm light.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Household light bulbs’ is closed to new replies.