Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • House training a puppy
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Our puppy is now 12 weeks old and is doing okay – she’s started to be able to go a whole night without any mess however if we are in the house with her and forget to take her out regularly (ie, every hour or so), she still goes inside – we don’t get any signs from her and she doesn’t go to the door or anything.

Am I expecting too much too soon?

Is there anything I can do?

Help!

Wookster

Keep taking them out to wee and make a big fuss when they go as I’m sure you are already!! , and you need to watch like a hawk, there’s will be signs honest, a bit of sniffing or disappearing out of the room for example!! It’s hard going but worth it! Our fella got it, but we kept asking him to go out, or taking him out then it just clicked with him.

johndoh
    Free Member

Sorry yes – we get the signs such as the sniffing and circling, but with a busy family environment we often forget (or simply are too distracted with other things) to keep watching her.

What I meant is that she doesn’t give us obvious signs such as going to the door nor does she know to wait (she can hold all night so an hour without going is possible for her).

sc-xc

That’s having a puppy unfortunately. Those first few weeks to have to pretty much make sure someone’s watching them all the time.

It gets easier.

theotherjonv

with a busy family environment we often forget (or simply are too distracted with other things) to keep watching her.

Sadly, having a new puppy means having to always have someone on duty. It’ll only be for a week or two

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

We have a 14 week old jack Russell and we have now got her doing her business outside. First thing in the morning when she wakes up usually between 0600-0800 she is taken straight outside for a see. Then she has her breakfast wait 15 minutes to half hour and take her out again for pee and poo then it’s sleep for a hour or two. And out again when she wakes up.

Night time before bed pee and poo.

If they are awake taken out after ever meal and when they wake. Ours starts to run around like a knob or starts being a pest when she wants a wee. We started off with puppy pads and progressed outdoors.
    Has the odd accident if she gets over excited

dantsw13

Do you have a crate?

dobo
    Free Member

I think your expecting too much for your pup to go to the door as a sign to go out. Our awesome pup is still really difficult and inconsistent with if he needs to go. We take him out and let him out regularly though and never messes in side. Hes crate trained. I wouldnt put anything down inside for him to pee on, you want him to go outside not in.
    If hes pees inside every day you need to learn to take him out before he does it, they will get it eventually.
    Telling them off wont achieve anything, they just need to know where to go.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Just make going outside a big deal and fun, soon pick up on it. Also ask or give the key words. I used to use ‘Pee pee time’

epicyclo

If you’ve got kids, delegate one to watch out for the puppy needing out.

Their reward if the puppy poops or pees inside is to clean it up.

Bonus: trains kids in responsibilities as well as puppies in toilet habits.

johndoh
    Free Member

Their reward if the puppy poops or pees inside is to clean it up.

Not having six year olds cleaning up dog crap!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘House training a puppy’ is closed to new replies.