• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by timba.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • House survey
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

We’ve had an offer accepted on a 3 year old Redrow home. The house is immaculate and having never had a home this new, I was thinking a homebuyers report will be enough? I am not 100% sure so WWSTWD??

jekkyl

A mortgage valuation will be fine.
    If the house is 3 years old it will still be covered the 10yr NHBC certificate which covers any major issues. A standard basic val will highlight any major areas of concern as well and it’s enough for a mortgage company to lend on.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Surveys are pretty much a waste of time. Have a good look and cross your fingers, always worked for me. Expect the odd bit of maintenance to crop up, owning a house is like that.

djglover
    Free Member

We are selling a 3 year old new build, all the issues were sorted in the 2 year warranty period. Are you buying detached, we are moving because of the cardboard party wall…

monkeychild
    Free Member

Cheers guys, you may have saved me a few quid :lol:. The site is due to be completed by the end of the year (luckily our plot is at the opposite end) so I can go and waggle fingers at someone if needed 😆
    It’s detached and to be fair the house is quite well soundproofed (we did not set out to buy a newer house because of such things).
    The house I’ve just sold was 24 years old so I had dealt with the major diy and was on top of the minor niggles.

br
    Free Member

If you are needing a mortgage, you’re provider will be tell you what survey THEY need.

monkeychild
    Free Member

If you are needing a mortgage, you’re provider will be tell you what survey THEY need.

Aye, it will be the valuation one.

andyl
    Free Member

As I saw on Dom’s TV show the other day check thing that are 3m from the walls of the house – ie drains and drainage as that is the cut off on the NHBC warranty.

Not sure which developer it was but the people on an estate had waterlogged gardens that the NHBC and developer initially refused to do anything about.

MartynS

b r – Member
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Not quite.
    You need a bear minimum of a valuation survey (set at desk, look on right move, agree or not it’s worth the money)
    You can then opt for home buyers then structural surveys

A two year old property properly doesn’t need more than the absolute basic survey.

Squirrel

A two year old property doesn’t need more than the absolute basic survey

You’re not in the building industry are you

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d be checking a 2 year old building far more thoroughly than a Victorian. If it has been there 100+ years what is likely to happen to it in the next 10. New build could easily have a load of hidden horrors. That said, I’m not sure a survey would tell you much.

timba
    Free Member

An independent builder did the most useful survey that we ever had, that and a chat with the neighbours

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘House survey’ is closed to new replies.