Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • House selling and slightly ropey oil tank location…
  • burgatedicky

In the throws of selling our house.
    As part of being a (slightly) diligent gent I elected to get the boiler serviced before selling, partly for the potential buyers peace-of-mind, and partly to provide a little piece of paper saying its been done.

Slight hickup is the location of the oil tank, which is pressed into a corner behind the brick garden shed, and very much NOT 600mm from the boundary line.
    We have a piece of paperwork from our purchase saying the oil tank satisfies building regs, (even though it really doesn’t) and as kerosene isnt particularly dangerous its never caused me a moments bother.

It may not come up as a problem (as we have a building regs certificate) but if it does should we just move the blasted thing before we leave? Its on a concrete pad which is shared by the dog kennel (which we’ll be taking), so we do have enough room to move it if needed…its just going to be another expense and a ballache!

What say you?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Leave it unless somebody picks up on it.

midlifecrashes

Don’t move it, don’t offer to move it, don’t hint at paying for moving it. If someone likes your house, they will buy it, if they don’t, a tank location won’t change that. Secondhand house, sold as seen.

burgatedicky

Grand, as I hoped! Cheers!

newrobdob
    Free Member

It might have satisfied the regs when it was installed but not the current regs. This doesn’t mean you have to bring it up to date, as long as it was ok when put in that’s fine. Which if you have the paperwork it should be.

brassneck

What he said. Our tank is in no way 600mm from the boundary – didn’t worry me when I boght, and hasn’t worried the new buyer next door (moved in late last year) – not even mentioned, and he was very thorough when he asked me some stuff ‘off the record’ before buying.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i think this might be the only thing my tank meets under new regs (was there when i bought the house)

Really should update it …..

jb72
    Free Member

I wouldn’t give it a second thought. No one is going to check it!

Certainly don’t offer any information that might cause someone to look at it!!

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Nah, stop worrying. That’s not slightly ropey, it’s perfectly sound and within regs.
    We know this because of

a piece of paperwork from our purchase saying the oil tank satisfies building regs

trail_rat
    Free Member

What jb72 said.

The big hitters will use that to haggle you down with insulting offers to ensure their multi million property empire* doesn’t pay over the odds

How ever no matter how much you give off the house for them to move it – that tanks not moving !

* Doesn’t exist they lie to look like big shots to agents -see buying house thread.

flowerpower
    Free Member

LPG tank here – but I had exactly the same issue.

Except I didn’t have anywhere on the property that did satisfy the new regs (including eye line from the road for filling).

Sold the house in November last year – position of the tanks wasn’t mentioned.

Good luck

gonefishin
    Free Member

LPG tank here – but I had exactly the same issue.

An oil tank that close wouldn’t give me cause for concern, an LPG tank on the other hand is something I’d want well away from my home.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘House selling and slightly ropey oil tank location…’ is closed to new replies.