Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • House security and pet care whilst on holiday
  • biga1
    Free Member

With the end of my fixed term contract looming at the end of this year I am trying to decide what path to take next in my career/life.

I have explored a couple of options over the last 12 months (teaching/going back to university) but have also toyed with the idea of starting my own business.

So on to my idea…. whilst housesitting is not necessarily a new concept in the sense of someone living in your house for the duration of your holiday/work trip I think its potential as an actual business could be quite limiting i.e. one customer at a time.
    However given the costs of catteries and kennels plus the fact that the majority of burglaries take place whilst people are on holiday I think there could be a market for home security checks and pet care for low maintenance pets.

This would invovle making a house look lived in, so bins/curtains/mail etc. Checking windows and doors etc. On the pet side it could be a case of fresh food and water for animals, exercise or just general stimulation.

Welcome home packs of milk/bread etc and cleaning services could be added into the offering too.

Doing things this way would allow for 4-8 customers to be serviced per day on the assumption that it would be just myself doing this to begin with. Cost for this service, £20-30 per day dependent on what is being provided.

Sooo……good idea or back to the drawing board?

Thanks,
    A 🙂

jam-bo

Isn’t that what the in-laws are for?

Frodo

Its already being done …see pet pals.

biga1
    Free Member

Thanks for responses guys.

Not everyone has a friendly neighbour or family close by. I’ve had a look at the various pet sitting websites but this geared towards a more complete service i.e pet and home.

Cheers,
    A

hels
    Free Member

WAY WAY WAY too expensive. Did you decide how much money you wanted to make and divide it by the number of possible visit slots ?

What you have described can’t take more than 30 mins per day. I would be prepared to pay £5 per day for this service, as long as it included changing the cat’s litter tray.

And isn’t that what burglar alarms and insurance are for ??

I have a cat sitter and pay pay £7 a day for it, on the understanding that they stay for an hour and keep her company, and clear the litter tray, give cat a brush etc.

And you will need to factor in travel costs and time too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘House security and pet care whilst on holiday’ is closed to new replies.