• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • House insurance – Help! Anyone insured an empty house?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I need to insure an empty house (building, not contents). Any idea which companies to approach re insuring it?

As mentioned before, my friend abroad has inherited it. It has insurance at the moment but soon the insurance company will be taking money for what is effectively no cover at all as almost every eventuality will soon become excluded – the property will have been empty for 60+ days and the executors (one of which is my friend) cannot rent it or sell it until probate is completed, some months yet probably.

We have offered to have friends or myself stay in it overnight or for several days running fairly frequently but the insurance company says having people stay in it will change noting about the poor level of cover, saying it still counts as ‘uninhabited’, plus if we get any paid person on the premises (ie fix a broken light socket or whatever) we have to inform them as the insurance will be even more compromised, though I can’t see what else they can stop covering!

Not sure what to do. After the next few weeks, if someone breaks in and vandalises it or sets it on fire there will be no cover at all.

DrP

Yeah.. Doing building work on an empty place at the moment..
    using fresh insurance..
    Give them a call.

DrP

footstomper
    Free Member

Doing same as DrP but using Renovation Plan, its usaually more expensive than normal insurance but there are a few companies out there which specialize in this type of insurance. I just searched through Google.

sandwicheater

Shameless plug: I run a small insurance brokers and can arrange full cover for unoccupied premises, pm me if you want a call.

kcal

Yes. Insuring my folks house, currently empty since mum has moved into sheltered housing and I clear it – so little / no contents worth insuring.

Her/our current insurer wouldn’t play ball as we couldn’t say it would def. be occupied again within 3/6 months, our own insurer were wary for the sam reason – ended up getting quote from local insurance broker – remember them? – which was not too cheap but peace of mind – it was £200-320 IIRC. Can dig out the actual insurance co. if you like — Vasek insurance..

DrP

It is pricey to insure an empty house isn’t it!
    About £150 every 3 months!

DrP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘House insurance – Help! Anyone insured an empty house?’ is closed to new replies.