Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • House insurance claim Q
  • ade
    Free Member

I smashed my iPhone a few months back and claimed on my house insurance for the replacement value through apple (£140). They said at the time it would put my premiums up a bit, but it’s tiny – maybe £3/month.

Being a clumsy muppet, I just managed to smash the screen on my iPad. Doh. What are my insurance company likely to do for a second (scarily similar) claim in a short period? I’d be tempted to ring them and ask before making a claim, but I’ve heard that they even if you’re just asking questions and not asking them to pay out, they can count it as a claim. (Sounds a little bit like BS to me, but I don’t want to risk it yet)

althepal

If you call to enquire they’ll prob keep a record of it.. Most do. Just in case you “decide” to upgrade your policy or claim in the future. Used to get a lot of that but then I worked in the fraud dept.. You’ll prob have ad cover to home entertainment items whilst at home, or outside if you have personal possessions cover outside the home.
    If you want to check the details of your policy you should be able to look at the policy wording or exclusions on line as well as your renewal notice will give basic info on your cover. If you’ve already made a claim and it put your policy up expect more of the same only more.
    Not sure what your insurers underwriting dept are like but you’ll prob be looking at an increased premium/increased xs for similar claims or poss both!
    Prob still worth claiming for tho.

althepal

Phew.

totalshell

? you claimed for something that was only 140 quid.. what was your excess? ours is 500 quid.. ( voluntarily)
    thier not going to want your business next time..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘House insurance claim Q’ is closed to new replies.