Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • House buying and surveys etc
  • CaptainSlow

What’s the consensus on house buying surveys?

Do many of you bother with more than just the standard mortgage survey in the hope they’d pickup anything woefully obvious?

I’ve only had the standard survey before but am wondering whether it’s worth upgrading the mortgage company survey or instructing a local surveyor. I think its a low risk property, the only reason I’m considering it is that there is a small extension on it.
    (It’s a late 90s build in what seems like ok structural condition). Am I right in thinking a full survey will have a ton of caveats anyway?

djflexure

I probably would not bother unless you have grounds for concern. If you do want the added peace of mind then instruct your own local surveyor and do not use your mortgage companies ‘enhanced surveys’ as I do not think they provide the added value that you and others seek.

woffle
    Free Member

I probably would not bother unless you have grounds for concern. If you do want the added peace of mind then instruct your own local surveyor and do not use your mortgage companies ‘enhanced surveys’ as I do not think they provide the added value that people seek.

What he said.

instruct a local surveyor, pay the bank the minimum.

Our buyer did just that and I had an in depth chat with the surveyor who came and did it for them; for £500 odd they got a good few hours and a proper poke around. Followed up by a phone conversation and a good write-up, including photos.

Apparently of the 500>1000 you pay the bank / lender for their offerings (unsurprisingly) the chap who actually comes and does the survey will see probably max of £150. Generally not work the paper they’re written on either, or so I was told

cinnamon_girl

In addition I would suggest asking to see any central heating, thermostat, shower and, if appropriate, bath screen in full working order.

The scumbags I bought from claimed the house was in good working order when it wasn’t. Spent mega bucks in getting it sorted and the central heating was an absolute nightmare. 😐

somouk
    Free Member

I had a local surveyor to go in and do one of their enhanced surveys on the house I bough last year.

Turns out everything is okay but they went into a lot of detail and it would have found a lot of the problems a friend had with his house if he’d had one done. For the money it’s worth the peace of mind and potential negotiating power if there are faults.

crankboy
    Free Member

I didn’t bother , if I ever buy another house I will . And plus a million for using an independent surveyor who is local . If you use your bank one you are just giving the bank extra money not getting a better survey.

The basic mortgage survey appears to be to drive past the house to check three things a) the address exists b) it is not actually falling down c) it looks like it might be worth the valuation.

woffle
    Free Member

..and another +1 on having the services thoroughly checked – the place we bought was built / extended by a very well considered local plumber over the 35 years he was here. Consequently everything is 100% tickity-boo. My brother, on the other hand, had to do a full re-wire and re-plumb after they bought a place that’d been knocked together by a complete cowboy. I think all the survey proved was that there was a boiler / electrics in place, no testing beyond “yes, there’s radiators etc”

The people that bought our place hadn’t even considered that the heating was powered by the wood-burner. Cue some concern / questions via the estate agent after they’d moved in.

Quite how / why you’d spend such a frightening amount of money without thinking things through, I’ve no idea.

CaptainSlow

Thanks folks. Does anyone have an idea what to expect in terms of cost?

Looking here, it looks like I’d want wither option 2 or 3 http://www.rics.org/Global/Downloads/RICS_Home_surveys_information_sheet_2011.pdf

highclimber
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking a full survey will have a ton of caveats anyway?

Yes it will and the issue with building surveys is that they are non-destructive so wouldn’t be able to tell you anything other than what would be visible unless you agree with the vendor and the surveyor before hand on any specific areas you wanted to uncover.

Use the money to get a good builder to take a look for you. I wished we had done but got stung by caveats and an unstable chimney breast.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘House buying and surveys etc’ is closed to new replies.