Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Houmous who's is the best ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Apart from home made stuff…

What brand tastes the best ???

Quite like Tesco chunky style

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You’ve answered your own question there….. 🙂

franksinatra

Do you like having sex with chickpeas? Are you a homousexual?

mikey74
    Free Member

Sainsburys smoked jalapeno houmas is nice. Tescos do a similar one as well.

Joe

Just to up the ante a little bit. Who makes better hummus? Palestinians or Israelis?

My own take is that Israeli Hummus and salads are better, but both Palestinian pitta and falafel far trump the Israelis take on things.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I like the Sabra brand you can get in Saintsbury’s.

scaredypants

how far are you willing to travel for it ?

I’d suggest testing the types on sale in each of your usual supermarkets and then, after spending that tenner, carrying on

namastebuzz
    Free Member

+1 for making it yourself.

THen you can adjust the amount of Tahini/Garlic/Seasoning you put in plus you can add other stuff that you want.

If you don’t fancy boiling up a whole bag of dried chickpeas just get canned ones which you use straight away.

They’re pretty cheap at LIDL/ALDI.

tomhoward

Who makes better hummus? Palestinians or Israelis?

This is the sole cause of all the rather ugly business down there.

Of course the answer is neither, its all rank.

LoCo
    Free Member

Waitrose organic, although the Morrisons low fat stuff is what we usually have that quite tasty

skellnonch
    Free Member

Houmous… thats not man food

Bacon is where its at

fasthaggis

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

No accounting for taste. Homemade all the way. For convenience then go with whatever you can get yr hands on.

grahamg
    Free Member

My attempts at multiple recipes never lived up to supermarket. Call me heathen if you wish. My absolute favourite was a brand that was impossible to find outside the odd health food shop or in London – can’t remember the name but came in quite a sturdy pot (compared to supermarket stuff) with a white lid and north london address on.

kayak23

mikey74 – Member
    Sainsburys smoked jalapeno houmas is nice

I’m a bit of a Houmous-purist. I like to take mine 100% pure, uncut.

I’ve tried making it several times, and it’s always seemingly a little too garlicy or a little too bland or whatever. Just find the supermarket stuff pretty lush really.

Saino’s for me… 🙂

freddyg
    Free Member

Tried most of the supermarket stuff – the co-op’s own wins hands-down.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Aldi is pretty damn good

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per @freddyg’s post we where very pleasantly surprised by the co-op one (and we eat quite a lot of it so have tried many)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I like the M&S ones but they are £££ I normally buy the Sainsbury’s low fat either red pepper or tomato and basil.

thomthumb
    Free Member

lidl one with pesto is good.

ahwiles
    Free Member

houmous is unique.

anything else, and you can make it yourself with better results than buying it.

cake, curry, soup, bread, etc.

but i can’t make houmous that tastes half as good as the cheap stuff in the supermarket.

the best houmous comes from NZ, there’s a brand called ‘food by chefs’ or something.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Tesco Caramelised Onion Hummus in my Huus.

simonbowns
    Free Member

it’s another one (like peanut butter) where variety is great. smoetimes chunky, sometimes smooth, sometimes tahiniey (?!)

Aldi one is decent. Our local middle eastern/polish/bit of everything shop has decent, cheap too. chunkier and more chick peas than supermarket ones.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Crispy roast potatos tossed in Houmous and sprinkled with coriander leaf.
    Yum!
    Or as a dip for sliced Coxs apples….
    Waitrose organic from the deli counter for me.

sbob
    Free Member

skellnonch – Member

Houmous… thats not man food

Bacon is where its at

Try both. 💡

steve-g
    Free Member

I had always suffered from the “homemade not as good as shop bought” issue until the other day, I was making some when I realised there was no cumin in the house, went to the shop, none ther either, a rummage through the collection of stuff in the cupboard revealed that the only source of cumin was the Blackend Cajun Spice mix I got from Costco, chucked that in in lieu of cumin and it is immense. Might knock up some more later, idieting again.

Andy_B

Yarden, the deluxe one with the big dollop of stuff that looks like pesto but I think is actually cucumbers.

Israeli, for the record. Failing that go and buy a pot from a takeaway. Persian ones tend to be good.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Houmous who's is the best ?’ is closed to new replies.