Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • H.O.T.S. Roll call
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I’m in. Anyone else. Heavy rain today & raining most of tomorrow, drying out Thursday & Friday and Saturday too looking promising. Hopefully we’ll get some more of this:

[/url]2016-05-04_04-23-19 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

First time for me, not sure what the signage is like, i know the Stroud side, but not the Wooton side of things so hoping not to get lost!!! – do they offer a GPX?

flashes
    Free Member

It’s well labelled. A nice event, I can’t remember how many times I’ve done this, but dropped HONC this year in favour of this one.
    Is the little café open by the old quarry (?), just after the little downhill bit? By then I need to eat…………

FuzzyWuzzy

I did the first one and much preferred it to HONC (it’s more geared towards MTBers). Not sure if the course has changed since, only bit I went wrong on was missing out the quarry section and then having to track back and do it once I realised I’d got in front of everyone :p I remember the first off-road climb bit being deep mud, if that’s still in I can’t see it having dried out by the weekend – it was all good fun though (unless you were one of people who’s shoes came off :p ).

tang
    Free Member

I’ve had to pull out 🙁 but not all bad, I live just beyond those trees in Quertys pic!

matplant
    Free Member

4th year running for us, always had good weather in previous years, 2014 was too hot if anything. Fantastic event for a great cause.

Andy

First timer. Looking forward to it 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

I live just beyond those trees in Quertys pic!

If we’re passing your door, does that mean we’ll be served high tea at noon

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

I’m back for this year.

Nice event. I wonder if those bastard switchbacks in the quarry will get me again. Probably.

konanige

I’m in, just hoping going 1×11 wasn’t a mistake!!

flashes
    Free Member

Anyone know if there’s any food to buy on the route. I struggled last time and wondered whether a packed lunch is in order……..and I’m doing the 75km on a SS, but this year with disc brakes…….

qwerty
    Free Member

Nailsworth would be good. Routes not out until Friday though.

qwerty
    Free Member

hoping going 1×11 wasn’t a mistake!!

and I’m doing the 75km on a SS

Oh – where’s the ironing?

ajantom

I’m in. Did it in 2014, and it was a scorcher. There were at least 3 or 4 food and water stops on the 75km route, so you should be ok without packing a roast dinner 😉

I did it on the SS Krampus last time, this time I’m wavering between the same bike but with an Alfine or going rigid and retro on a Pace RC200. If I ride the Pace I’ll have to try and fit into my old Mint Sauce/MBUK top (it might be on the small side these days!)

pictonroad

I don’t recall seeing a place to buy food on the last route other than the weird pseudo cafe at the quarry, it only sold warm purdeys and ‘free from’ cake type things. There’s a GPS file on Facebook today so you can check. They usually have a couple of flapjack stops and a banana stop. I did get a bit hungry last year, I’ll be nestling some comestibles about my person this time.

See you there, first time without a camper. 🙁

bimster29
    Free Member

I’m in but only doing the 50KM route this year due to lack of miles….. second child arrived three weeks ago so it’s been a bit manic!

qwerty
    Free Member

It’s not passing by Nailsworth this year. 3020mtrs of climbing, ouch! Trails currently very wet, no more rain forecast, slight wind over next few days, sunny intervals on for Sat but not hot. Fingers crossed it should dry out enough to avoid a mud bath

singlespeedstu

I’ll be there again with MrsStu.
    Done all of them so far.
    This is the only event we still do.
    Great little friendly event. 😀

3020mtrs of climbing, ouch!

You sure?
    From the GPX

By: Heaven of the South 2016
    Started in: Stroud, England, GB
    Distance: 74.3 km
    Elevation: + 1365 / – 1365 m

CheesybeanZ

Yup we’re in , water wings and wellies packed 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

SSS – I’m new to GPX/GPS I used OS Maps & imported the route & that’s what OS Maps quoted. It is rather a lot!! What we’re the previous year’s? The Dyfi was around 1500m.

IA

1500 is more like it, 3000+ would be like the selkirk merida and it’s not as hilly as that.

Looking forward to it,

flashes
    Free Member

Is the weird pseudo cafe at the quarry open? I will need to eat or take provisions, as I’m a wee person and keel over if not fed……

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

@flashes – the Yurt cafe isn’t at Breakheart Quarry now, but they’ve replaced it with a log cabin that’s got a vending machine thing in (think office style), sells tea/coffee plus some food – can’t remember if this was the case last year or not

The Quarry is one of the feed stops, so there will be water, flapjack and bananas available, the same as the other two feed stops.

If you’re doing the 75km, the Quarry will be quite a way in to the ride, but there is a feed station at the top of Uley Bury, which is about half way round, and the furthest point from the HQ. I’ll be manning that location – if it helps, you can give me your packed lunch and I’ll keep it in a cool bag for you until you arrive? I’m the bloke who drives the green van in the lead-out at the beginning of the ride, come and give me a shout on Saturday morning.

Barn

bigbloke
    Free Member

In too. Hoping for dry trails…..hoping.

qwerty
    Free Member

Think pink

[/url]2016-05-12_01-46-08 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

ajantom

Based on the weather and their FB comments I’m thinking the Alfine geared Krampus will be the best bet this weekend! Full mudguards, natch.

singlespeedstu

What a great event again.
    Cheers to all the organisers for making it all seem to run so smoothly
    Do all of them so far and that was the most chilled out and best route combo yet.

Colin-T

My 6th one and as good if not better than previous years.

As always it’s the organisers, marshals and the rest of the crew that really make the event.

Plus a big thanks to Al for sorting me out with a brake on Friday after losing my pads on the motorway.

pictonroad

What a course. Absolutely fantastic, can’t fault anything about this event.

flashes
    Free Member

Superbly organised, as always. Excellent route. Q hard with the comedy mud/porridge and the fact I really whacked my knee on my handlebars only a third in. As Arnie would say, I’ll be back (again)…..

jimw
    Free Member

Fantastic even again, the weather was perfect and the scenery just stunning.
    Thanks to all who organised and marshalled, plus the food was great as usual.
    And I even won some lube on the raffle

qwerty
    Free Member

That’s a great event, very well organized. It was all a blur of pink tape, interspersed with lovely views, lots of garlic in the woods. I was truly spent at the end. Apparently times get posted on the web site later this week. A real nice vibe, and kinda nice to recatch up with riders on the 50km whilst on the 75.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘H.O.T.S. Roll call’ is closed to new replies.