Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hotel recommendations near Rutland Water/Oakham?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Fancy getting away for a day or so in the near future to Rutland (did the sportive last year and was surprised how very green and pleasant the land was having never knowingly been there before!) with Mrs M, not cycling probably. Any recommendations for not-too-silly hotels in and around the area? Many thanks in advance.

bruk

Quite a few b&b in the area. Nice pubs around for food too if you want it a bit cheaper. Had a list but out of date now as was when we got married 10 years ago.

Parents in law live in Empingham. White Horse pub does do accommodation and pretty good grub. Right next to Rutland Water too.

stumpy01

I’ve stayed in a b&b in Whitwell before while at the training place opposite. I think it’s called The Noel.
    Yeah,
    Google The Noel at Whitwell, although finding somewhere in Oakham or Stamford would give you more options for places to go in the evening.
    Cosy club in Stamford does good food and cocktails.

Jamie
    Free Member

The Kings Arms in Wing always looked dead nice when I used to bike past it.

http://www.thekingsarms-wing.co.uk/rooms.html

munkster
    Free Member

Nice one, will take a look at those. Thanks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another nod for the White Horse here.

alanl
    Free Member

For food, my friend has the Fox and Hounds at Knossington, 3 miles west of Oakham. Great food at not too ridiculous prices.

To stay, I cannot recommend anywhere as I only live 30 mins away, but would agree that Oakham would be the ideal base.

BillMC

Eat at the Blue Ball, Braunston, stay at the Vaults or Falcon in Uppingham. Mon to Thu half price excellent eats in The Old White Hart, Lyddington. For off road go to Wakerley Woods. I live in Uppingham and I absolutely love the county of Rutland and the drivers are very good to cyclists.

edward2000
    Free Member

I grew up in Oakham! Moved away in 2002 to go to uni. Moved back and forth since, but settled in Manchester now. My parents still live there. Lovely place, very much a small town attitude at night though. the Grainstore pub next door to the railway brews it’s own beer. You have rutland cycles in Whitwell (I used to work in there), and the tourist office in the car park in empingham, where I also used to work. On and the Sunken church museum, I used to work in there too;). Accommodation wise, I don’t think there is anything bad in the town and the surrounding villages, as it is quite an affluent area. So go with whats already been said.

Email is in the profile if you need any advice about the area.

mrben101
    Free Member

I also grew up there – though left a few years before edward2000 🙂 I 2nd the Grainstore for the beer – it’s very good. It is very much a beer drinking pub though – no food (or at least not when I was last there) .

Rutland Water is lovely on a nice day.

BillMC

Food is good burgers etc in the Grainstore. Their beer can be found throughout the county. Lord Nelson in Oakham is a v good pub with ex pizzas.

Jamie
    Free Member

Rutland Water is lovely on a nice day.

Especially so on a warm summer evening when all the riffraff have cleared off. Used to drive up from Peterborough about 7, and do a full lap. Never used to see anyone and really chilled ride.

I’ve not been there for a couple of years, and assume all the ‘improvements’/re-routing they had started doing with gravel have been completed.

drewd

I also grew up in Oakham, but left in 2004 to go to uni and haven’t felt the need to move back.

As has been said it is a really nice area, and the Grainstore is a great pub, however I would recommend staying in Stamford if you can. My parents live in Oakham, and my brother in Stamford and when I visit I stay in Stamford as it is nicer than Oakham IMHO. It’s only 11 miles from Oakham, borders on Rutland and has more to see and do.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I grew up in Oakham and my parents still live there, this is the probably the best gastropub in Rutland http://www.finchsarms.co.uk, it has a hotel attached and overlooks the water.

Grainstore is a great pub

lol, not anymore. The beer is usually crap, the Lord Nelson is a better bet.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hotel recommendations near Rutland Water/Oakham?’ is closed to new replies.