Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hosting rec's please for kids website
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

Im waaay out of my depth here and would be glad of some proper help for my latest brainwave!

My 11y old is obsessed with computers and coding
    She can write CSS and Java and other stuff I cant follow but prefers to spend her time playing Minecraft, or even worse watching **** videos of other people playing Minecraft

Ive just been looking at domain names and I can register “her actual real name DOT com” for about a tenner for 2 years, which is where my problems started……

My plan was that if she owned “little sporticus DOT com” I could set up a website for her to build and she could mess around coding on that rather than the black hole which is Minecraft

If anyone can suggest a hosting company for a simple website then that would be great

My research so far has thrown up one or two which start at the proverbial tenner for 2 years, but by the time Ive added WHOIS anonymity, bog standard hosting, email forwarding to her webmail account, VAT and various other compulsory “extras” its adding up to well over a ton, if not more, per year making it less of an afternoons hobby and more of a big deal (yes I know thats only 2 quid a week)

All help gladly received

Cheers

EDIT: and do I want Linux or Windows hosting option at the checkout for the site? Shes using a Chromebook

Lazgoat
    Free Member

You don’t think you need a paid for domain and online hoisting just to mess about on. You can set up demo websites for testing on your computer and she can practice her code there rather than a live online environment.

As far as I can remember you’ll/she’ll need a database and something like MAMP (https://www.mamp.info/en/) does that for you on your local machine.

You can buy and reserve the Domain anyway for later.

Hope that helps.

ecksee
    Free Member

I’ve been using one.com for a while, usual introductory offer for the first year but everything you need is included.

As above, you can create websites locally for playing about with but will need domain etc if she wants others to be able to see it.

chewkw
    Free Member

Look at Virb as they provide free hosting for students. (small print at the bottom and they need school/education institution to confirm – full control if you know programming unlike me I just go for templates)

About £24 for two years using the followings:

Domain name registrar – iwantmyname – £7.50/yr
    Web hosting – Virb for students – $10/two years (1st yr free and 2nd yr $10)

If you want customised email – Thexyzwebmail …

nickjb
    Free Member

I use one.com as well. All in package is about £10 for the first year then £20 (or maybe a little more now). That’ll get you a .com, web hosting, email forwarding.

brassneck

o I want Linux or Windows hosting option at the checkout for the site? Shes using a Chromebook

depends on what code you want to write in.

You can do all of this locally on a PC or Mac without spending a penny though, I’d start there if she’s interested, and offer the hosted domain / wordpress site / whatever as a carrot

Oh and on a Chromebook:

LAMP on a Chromebook

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Thanks all

I’ve gone with One.Com for a tenner all in Inc personal email and hosting

She’s currently 2h into her build and hasn’t touched minecraft since so happy days

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hosting rec's please for kids website’ is closed to new replies.