Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Horse meat !
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

Its quite clear in recent weeks according to the press,we’ve probably been eating horse meat for a while,unbeknowing to most of us.

However,I was wondering how many people,have actually knowingly eaten it,and liked it!.

As its quite common in Europe,so again,we’ve probably had it there too…

whattyre
    Free Member

Had it a few times in France and thought it was decent….had a very good stew with it too

trout
    Free Member

Yep had some excelent horsey steak at Lake Garda last year
    dont know what all the fuss is about its high quality meat .

only problem I see is the deciet in labeling

rewski
    Free Member

Yep, it’s pretty much in every burger or steak hache if you eat meat in the French alps, all animals are delicious, get over it. Can we please move onto the next crisis? Now Jews eating pork, that’s a real issue.

If it’s good enough for Mr Facebook then it’s…

Horsey liver

chewkw
    Free Member

However,I was wondering how many people,have actually knowingly eaten it,and liked it!.

No, never! I don’t even eat beef (you go mad eating them) let alone horse but then I would have McDonald burgers once or twice in a year if there is no good fish & chips nearby. The rule of thumb for me is no meat from beast of burden as a sign of respect. I avoid processed meat as much as possible.

However, I have eaten some tin processed meat from Poland/Brazil so in a way I could have eaten all sorts without knowing. Could be eating meat from long pig as far as I am concerned after all they do taste like pork …

In China they had the opposite problem someone snacking on some fried dog was horrified to find that it contained bits of prime beef.

Drac

Did they winalot of compensation?

Trampus
    Free Member
    maccruiskeen

That, and given that deceit is already taking place… whether the animals were fit to be slaughtered for food. There are plenty of drugs that would be administered to pet or race horses that are banned for use with animals for food production.

Northwind

I’m not bothered about horse meat, but it does make me wonder- I’m pretty dependant on good ingredient info for food intolerance reasons, if you can’t trust them on the meat what else can’t you trust them on?

shotsaway
    Free Member

if you can’t trust them on the meat what else can’t you trust them on?

I was just having this very conversation with my wife. So how many food (not just meat) manufacturers are mis-labelling their products? It does make you wonder.

lank45
    Free Member

I find it amusing you can get a meal with 100% horse meat in it for 99p. Would cost you an arm and a leg that in Switzerland and France! Should think ourselves lucky!

maccruiskeen

if you can’t trust them on the meat what else can’t you trust them on?

Lots

“Operation Opson in 2011 targeted ports, airports and retail outlets in 10 European countries, including the UK.

Among the products seized were 13,000 bottles of substandard olive oil, 30 tonnes of fake tomato sauce, about 77,000 kg of counterfeit cheese, 12,000 bottles of substandard wine, five tonnes of substandard fish and seafood; and nearly 30,000 counterfeit confectionery bars.”

jon1973
    Free Member

I find it amusing you can get a meal with 100% horse meat in it for 99p. Would cost you an arm and a leg that in Switzerland and France! Should think ourselves lucky!

I suspect the legitimate meat you buy in France and Switzerland has probably been subject to a few more hygiene regulations than the stuff that seems to have found it’s way in to our food chain.

Plus, that 100% horse meat, probably only constitutes about 10% of the overall contents of the lasagne or whatever it is, anyway.

Northwind

jon1973 – Member

Plus, that 100% horse meat, probably only constitutes about 10% of the overall contents of the lasagne or whatever it is, anyway.

Well I’d hope so, if they’ve been replacing tomatoes with horse meat then things are going to get very confusing

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve nothing against eating horse meat, the idea that one meat is eaten whilst another is not seems a bit daft, but I believe there’s two practical issues with the horse meat saga:

The traceability of meat products was strengthened with good reason following the BSE outbreak, if horse meat is getting used instead of beef than those measures are clearly not effective and need to be looked at again.

The other issue is the use of drugs not sanctioned for use within the human food chain (see maccruiskeen’s post above)

I was just having this very conversation with my wife. So how many food (not just meat) manufacturers are mis-labelling their products? It does make you wonder.

How dolphin friendly is the tuna?

jon1973
    Free Member

How dolphin friendly is the tuna?

I happen to know they’re very good friends.

Caher

Meat in our canteen was horse on a Thursday; Swiss would make a beeline for the place.

shotsaway
    Free Member

The other issue is the use of drugs not sanctioned for use within the human food chain

So Contador was innocent after all 😉

athgray
    Free Member

This could be good in the long run for sales of horse meat. This scandal has been bad PR for various supermarket chains and frozen food companies, but good for PR for horse meat. I personally reckon this is one of the best uses for the animal.

andyl
    Free Member

Most of our meat comes from the local vet school abattoir. All nice and fresh and not messed with and tastes great and you can see it being cut up.

Other stuff comes from Costco – again they butcher it all in store in plain view behind glass and it’s all British (but they so sell US meat).

And then a small amount, but mainly fish, from Waitrose. I did get an apology from Waitrose as apparently some of their beef mince had traces of pork in it. Not an issue for me as we only buy beef mince from the abattoir.

But as for horse meat, most of the country has now eaten it so we may as well sell it. Unfortunately I have missed out on eating it as I don’t buy all the rubbish they have been finding it in.

Cougar

,we’ve probably been eating horse meat for a while,unbeknowing to most of us.

Speak for yourself.

dannyh
    Free Member

The real worry is what else will now be found…..

I am quite ambivalent about this. Part of me says if you buy six burgers for a pound then what do you expect? It’s like buying a smartphone down the pub for twenty quid, something’s up.

On the other hand, if you stick a label on something stating what it is, you really ought to be sure, and you should be severely punished if you haven’t got your house in order.

Watch for the governmental backpedalling when their chums in charge of the plc supermarkets are shown to be wilfully negligent. Very easy to set the Mail genre running with the eastern european angle. Not so easy to explain away the lack of care to boost profits.

maccruiskeen

So Contador was innocent after all

exactly, if anything aplastic anaemia is more a hinderance than performance enhancing, rather than ban him they should have given him a head start

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve eaten horse in France, in the uni canteen. Quite good it was, strongly flavoured, low fat and chewy. Not quite the same flavour as beef.

Everybody knows they’re eaten horse; what is hacking (sorry!) everybody off is the knowledge that once again, the food industry has betrayed us.

kayak23

Among the products seized were……….77,000 kg of counterfeta cheese….

😀

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Horse meat !’ is closed to new replies.