Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Horror movie fans…..suggest a horror movie that will scare me!
  • dooge
    Free Member

Hey all,

I have realised in recent months I havent jumped at much anymore. Maybe its because I have seen a stupid amount of horror movies, but there hasent been anything subtle enough yet scary enough to get my heart racing.

Recently, Ive watched:

The Omen
    The Thing
    One Missed Call
    The Ruins
    Shrooms
    Dead Silence
    Outpost
    The Orphanage
    and lots more.

They were all pretty good (The Omen, The Ruins and The Orphanage being my favourite) and I watched a Haunting in Connecticut the other night, which had some freaky bits, but nothing too terrifying.

I want to see Rosemary’s baby as thats one of the major films people seem to be recommending. Has anyone else got any others?

Doug

mogrim

The new Hannah Montana film fills me with dread.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

The Descent both scared and depressed me

waihiboy
    Free Member

there are no good horror films about these days…

the only two films that have giving me a very, very minor, very slight possible brown stain moment were…

Wolf Creek (more psychological)

The Ring – when she stepped out of the TV

The Devils Rejects – was totally not what i thought it was going to be but very, very funny

you have watched one of the best already… The Thing – Directors cut with commentary is class

kimbers

rosemarys baby is ok a bit dated these days but still quite twisted

have you seen Let the Right One In?, swedish horror film just out over here at the cinema, absolutely brilliant and very creepy

I liked the Host that was funny creepy and sentimental though not massively scary

Creep is quite ermm creepy

Michael Mans The Keep is also brilliant tho not really that scary

my all time favourite horror movie is The Thing, the john carpenter version

love the first hellraiser too and have you seen nightbreed another clive barker story

the spanish original of quarantine is supposed to be very good

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

The Ring

kimbers

there are no good horror films about these days…
    http://www.lettherightoneinmovie.com

jamesca
    Free Member

Wolf Creek

DezB
    Free Member

You need to get into Far Eastern horrors. They are the only ones made with any imagination (ie. the desire to create something horrific and original) these days.
    Recently The Host was on Film4 and was great.
    The Grudge

I’ll be back with another suggestion, but I can’t think of the name of it at the mo!

dooge
    Free Member

Ive seen Rec (the Spanish version of Quarantine), Ive seen the Ring (Jap and American) and the Grudge (Jap and American) and thought the American Grudge was still scarier than the Jap version as the storyline worked fluidly, whereas I found the Jap version jump from person to person as small stories.

I love The Devils Rejects but its definately not a classic horror. The Descent is probably one of my favourite, as its a true low budget UK horror flick. Just enough darkness, simple story line and lots of jumpy bits.

Creep is great until you see the twisted bloke who is doing it all, and then it goes to pot.

Let the right one in is definately on the watch list for me, as its had great reviews from mates.

In terms of a dark dark movie, I love Pathology too, and can wholly recommend it as a get under your skin/it could happen to you scenario based film.

For me, I reckon a good horror wouldnt show the evil thing in full until the very very last person dies (or dosent) I dont think Horror’s nowadays are subtle enough to be scary, too much in your face stuff that dosent get you into the film as much as a clever storyline.

kimbers

what i love about the thing is the fact that it has no attractive women in it, no dashing male leads,

its full of grizzled men in a crappy place that stinks of them and their own farts

its just about the horror not some naive yet very sexy young teens in an improbable situation that will innevitably lead to some breast exposure and high pitched screaming

let the right one in is similar in its unglamorous view of life

there are very few horror films where you are encouraged to think rather than just react to grizzly shocks

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the ring

Kourei (seance)

the grudge

Dark water

(original versions)

Milkie
    Free Member

Slaughtered Vomit Dolls

It’s supposed to be a horror, it’s a bit screwed up for my liking.

4130soul
    Free Member

I’d agree

youve got to go asian for a real fright nowadays, not so much scary but definately a film that will leave you scarred and possibly with a headache after grimacing for over an hour is ICHI THE KILLER.
    or

The Ring (Ring 2, Ring 0)
    Premonition
    Grudge
    Suspiria
    Tetsuo / Tetsuo 2
    Tatoo (not asian but v.dark)
    Dark Water
    Host (not scary but good none the less)
    cannibal holocaust / cannibal ferox
    and the scarriest till last…..

high school musical 1,2 or 3! aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

if you want screwed up try ‘trouble every day’. i’ve still to get all the way through that film without having to take a breather*

*i’m a complete wuss though

RustySpanner

Have you seen the original version of The Vanishing?
    Scared the gravy out of me.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I bought the original (Vincent Price) version of “The House on Haunted Hill” years ago, and still think it’s good for a couple of jumps.

“House of 1000 Corpses” is the film Rob Zombie made before “Devil’s Rejects” and is set before it. I think it’s scarier than DJ, but not as good a film.

If you liked “The Orphanage”, you’ll probably like “The Devil’s Backbone” but it’s less of a horror and more a ghost story.

I agree with dooge on not revealing the monster/killer until right at the end – I know it’s a cliche, but the scary bit is your imagination (eg Blair Witch).

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ooh devils backbone is great, i did an interview with Guilermo Del Torro and he is truly an evil genius. Very much looking forward to ‘The Hobbit’ he could put a great dark twist on it

peachos
    Free Member

there’s a good japanese film i watched years ago called ‘Audition’. It’s directed by Takashi Miike and was released in 1999. Not really ‘jumpy’ like you remember horror films were when you were a kid but truly disturbing.

The whole Japanese horror film category is worth looking at if you dont mind the subtitles. Original Ring trilogy is miles better than US adaptation and there’s a few other’s that the yanks have shamed – dark water, the grudge etc.

jimmy

Scared the gravy out of me.

chunter

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Audition is an awesome film

best thing to do is watch it with girlfriend/a girl of some kind

the reaction of the female of the species to that film is the polar opposite to the reaction of the male

it’s great

‘killi killi killi killi killi’

MrAgreeable

Fifth the original Japanese version of Ring, a superbly nasty film.

I like cheesy 70s horror films and some of them are properly scary too – the original versions of The Hills Have Eyes and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre spring to mind. The original Dawn of the Dead is great – very silly but quite affecting too.

For a completely different style of horror, check out the old BBC adaptation of Whistle and I’ll Come To You, which has Michael Hordern (the voice of Paddington Bear) as a pompous academic being slowly driven mad on a walking holiday in Norfolk. Apart from some really cheesy special effects, it’s completely driven by atmosphere and way better than I expected. I also remember being scared to death by Ghostwatch, another BBC special, which is also out on DVD.

MrAgreeable

Have you seen the original version of The Vanishing?

Brilliant stuff. The remake was a textbook example of how to f–k up everything that’s good about a film…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you can’t go far wrong with a bit of Hitchcock as well

dooge
    Free Member

Oh I loved Rear Window by Hitchcock, what a classic!

Ill check out those Jap horrors. Ive seen the obvious ones but havent heard of some of the above.

I liked The Abandoned too. Based in Russia, it had a decent amount of n your face fright and psychological presence. A bit like The Dark but much better.

Has anyone seen a film called Seed? I was recommended it by a friend as a balls-out gore fest but I havent got around to watching it yet.

kimbers

oh yeah the original dawn of the dead is so grim and fatalistic i love it it even has a hare krishna zombie! who i met at a scifi convention!!

enfht
    Free Member

Another vote for Wolf Creek. That film is fcked up !!! 😳

enfht
    Free Member

Oh, and the first 10 mins of (the new) Dawn Of The Dead 😳 😳 😳

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Never mind Jap go back west just a little bit anc check out South Korea, ‘A tale of Two sisters’ ‘Whispering Corridors’ ‘Wishing Stairs’ Phone….

DezB
    Free Member

got it: Old Boy – not a horror, but bloody horrific!

Wolf Creek seconded.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

check out http://www.tartanvideo.com/default.asp for eastern horror and some other great films

woody2000

The Exorcism of Emily Rose is pretty good
    Wolf Creek is deffo worth a watch

The-Beard

The Ring is a must, as is Tale of Two Sisters. Thought [rec] was pretty good, especially the last 20 minutes…

MrTall
    Free Member

I still think the best horror ever made was An American Werewolf In London. Special effects still ace despite it being 1984 i think. Good black humour and great opening scenes on the moors and the dream sequences as well. Makes me jump still and if i was ever out riding at night and i heard that scary wolf howl they used i’d be straight up the nearest tree to spend the night….. Top stuff, a must for anyone who’s never seen it.

stuckinarut
    Free Member

Nobody’s mentioned Blood Trails yet? Probly because as horror goes it’s rubbish, but it does have mountain biking in it, and the first ever death-by-44t put to celluloid 😀
    Actually, I didn’t think it was that bad. And the ending left me feeling a bit miserable.

kimbers

also check out Python with wil wheaton aka wesley crusher from star trek

its about a giant killer snake and it suck donkey balls but it does have a lot of mtbing in it all canodales iirc

epicyclo

Jaws?

Go swimming in the sea after and see if it has scared you.

Drac

Don’t think I’ve been scared by a film since I was 12.

DavidB
    Free Member

How come nobody has mentioned The Shining?

prettygreenparrot
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Horror movie fans…..suggest a horror movie that will scare me!’ is closed to new replies.