Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope XC rear hub – what's gone wrong… after service…?
  • chalkstorm
    Free Member

Evening….

One of my good mate kindly serviced my rear XC hub and freehub (new bearings). Spins very nicely now…. thanks you!

Anyway… just dropped it in the frame…. tightened up the read QR – and the tighter I did it the slower the wheel got. Basically – the wheel won't turn when the QR is tight.

It isn't fouling the frame.. must be pressure on a bearing caused when the QR is done up.

Without stripping it down – anyone here know what has gone wrong….?

Cheers

spooky_b329

There are two alloys spacers on the freehub. They both look the same, but they are slightly different lengths. This is almost certainly the problem…you just need to swap them round.

qwerty
    Free Member

missed out a spacer?

spooky_b329

In the above diagram, items 5 and 11. According to that, one is 14mm, one is 16mm.

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Bum…

The reason I didn't do it as last time (a couple of years ago) – I buggered up part 11 trying to refit it… so am not looking forward to trying to get it back out!

Think I damaged 2 spacers and 2 bearings with my big hammer….

Cheers all for your help….

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Mmm – just checked – the spacer in the outer freehub is the 16mm… as per the diagram….

The other one (14mm I presume) is tight in between the 2 freehub bearings…..

spooky_b329

edited as I'm unsure about what I said 🙂

nbt

Yep, done it myself, you've got the spacers in the wrong way round

chalkstorm
    Free Member

All sorted. Nothing to do with those spacers – as I said.. I measured one and it was spot on.

I'm running it SS – with a spacer kit…. and my mate had kindly swapped the last spacer for one approx 1mm narrower. Seemed that the lockring when tightened must have been causing some friction in the freehub when the QR was tightened. Odd though as it is was fine out of the frame.

Anyway – cassette spacer swapped – and all is good….

🙂

nbt

Ahh, I've had the same problem when using an 8 (poss 7 )speed lockring on a 9speed cassette

spooky_b329

Ahh see, didn't tell us it was SS 😉

I've had the same problem except I lost a spacer completely. Having no spare, I decided to use two singlespeed cogs separated by one of the remaining spacers. Without realising, I created a duo-speed, the slidy dropouts of my Explosif have enough adjustment to move the chain between the 16 and 18 tooth, which helped when I wanted to pop down town on it 🙂

neilb67
    Free Member

So….. can I have the spacer back and also the hours of sleep I lost last night thinking WTF I had done wrong….? 😉

chalkstorm
    Free Member

lol… cheers Neil…..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope XC rear hub – what's gone wrong… after service…?’ is closed to new replies.