Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope XC hub bearing tightness – new bearing time?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I made up a rear hub using some used parts as I couldn’t find a 36 hole hub complete.

When I clamp the wheel in the frame, the wheel rotates but there is a lot of resistance in the free hub body.

I think I have reassembled the hub correctly, could the resistance in the free hub be the bearings within it?

Where best to buy new bearings from?

wwaswas

If it spins freely outside the frame then you have the spacers in the wrong order, whatever you think about how you put it together 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I just checked the Hope exploded diagram, I can only see the one spacer. I didn’t touch the one inside the free hub body. I think I have put it back in order. Ive ordered some new bearings I will see what difference that makes.

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/XCRearHubExploded.pdf

wwaswas

seriously, if it spins fine when it’s not clamped then there’s an error with the assembly – either a spacer wrong or a bearing not pressed in correctly etc. There should be no side load on the bearings just by clamping them in the dropouts.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Maybe your right, one of the bearings may not be seated properly.

ransos
    Free Member

I had this with a campag cartridge hub recently – one of the bearings wasn’t pressed in properly so it fouled when I did up the QR. Solved with a hammer and a spark plug socket.

RustyMac

I had a similar problem with a Bulb hub a while back. Turned out to be a bearing not seated properly. It was a real pig to get it set right.

If the wheel is not built then i would suggest heating the hub up and cooling the bearing to ease fitment.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I stripped the hub back down just now. I must have knicked the seal to the drive pawls reassembling it. 😯

There was still some friction in the axle with the free hub body removed. If everything is seated properly I can’t see how there should be any unless there is wear in the bearings or the axle is bent.

Am I missing something?

wwaswas

isn’t there a spacer between the bearings on the hub with Hope XC’s – is it possible that’s somehow causing some drag?

Edit: actually that’s in the freehub isn;t it.

errrm, I’d be looking at knocking the axle out as that takes one bearign with it and then seeing if the bearings feel notchy etc.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I knocked the axle out and the bearings felt fine. when I reassembled it with just the two bearings in the hub body, there was resistance and a slight notchyness. Notchyness may not be a real word.

There is a spacer that sits outboard of the ratchet ring to space out the free hub body.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The question is:

Does my Hope hub need servicing?

The answer is always

Yes

No other information is needed to answer the question.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Update, I have just fitted a new bearing set (hub body and free hub body), a new axle and drive ratchet seal. The drag has reduced a little but the free hub body still doesn’t revolve with the wheel when clamped up into the frame. Will it free up in use or do I need to press the bearings in further still? I was fearful of damaging the hub by hitting any harder. Amazingly I still have the proper bearing drifts from early 80’s Specialized hubs which used the same sized bearings.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Try fitting it to the bike and go for a spin, does it ride ok? Sometimes things that feel wrong in the hand feel fine while riding!

Too much grease? Just a light coating is required for the ratchet ring.
    Over filled the bearings with grease?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I used the minimum of grease just to stop the pawl springs from springing under the bench.

It’s for the Fargo which I need to build up, hopefully I will get to it this week. I will run it as is for a few rides and see if it improves.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope XC hub bearing tightness – new bearing time?’ is closed to new replies.