Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • *********Hope what great service********
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

I contacted Hope with a small problem with my Tech 4 brakes , asked if I could buy the parts, sent some pics, quick phone call later parts in the post free of charge, awesome services … 😀

Thanks again Nick 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

If only every company was half as good.

garage-dweller

Super service from them in the past. glad to hear its still as good

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I to, buy their stuff for this reason!

BUY HOPE STUFF

😆

steel4real
    Free Member

I’ve found their ‘service’ rather more miss than hit.

Had some duff parts supplied in a hose kit recently – took a lot of persuasion for them to send replacement parts FOC.

Never had anything else replaced that was broken without having to send the parts in under warranty – and there have been quite a few.

And I’m currently waiting for a reply to an email enquiry I sent last week.OP gets free parts yet they can’t even be bothered to press a few keys on a keyboard.

edsbike
    Free Member

99% of people seem to report great service.
    The other 1% probably just piss them off.

Steel, you’re complaining that to get some replacement parts, you had to send the broken bits back? Pretty standard.

Approach them expecting a normal experience and they’ll blow you away with how good it is.

Approach them expecting free shit because your second hand brakes need a bleeding and they’ll probably still sort you out.

Jeffus
    Free Member

looking at my bike

Hope Hoops, Hope BB, Hope Brakes, Hope seat clamp, Hope headset spacers,

etc… 😀 They are the best for me… now if they made frames 😀

steel4real
    Free Member

Thing is – the parts break in the first place.

Sure they get replaced BUT do they have to break ?

How difficult is it to design AND TEST a seatpost QR correctly in the first place ??
    Same goes for the first PRO II rear hubs. How many other manufacturers have you seen with cracked hub shells ??

Never found the service exceptional you get what you pay for.

And as for brake fittings with missed ops – no thread in shrouds or ridges on inserts – kind of says it all about their ‘standards’of control.

Hope stuff is good but not necessarily better that many other suppliers & I haven’t enjoyed being part of the product test programme either.

Gary_C

^^^ Stop whinging, Marcus!

😉

xiphon
    Free Member

We’ve got quite a bit of Hope kit on our bikes come to think of it. Brakes, hubs, headsets, BB’s.. Even their older kit works exceptionally well IME. Using old 4-pot Hopes, and their superb!

I would rather spend a bit more, and buy a good quality British product 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My fave Hope anecdote, from my own experience;
    Self – “Damn. Broken DT hub, and it’s a silly 24 spoke 6 bolt disc one. Now, who makes those, I wonder? Hmm. Hardly anyone. Why not try ringing Hope….”

Hope – “No, sorry, we don’t actually make anything like that. But, tell you what, we can if you’d like us to. What colour d’you want? Anything etched on the hubs while we’re drilling them out for you?”

No charge beyond that of just buying the hubs, not at all bad for a custom drilled set. Top service.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Never cracked a hub shell myself and I have 3 sets of wheels with Hope Hubs , all my bikes have Hope seat post QR never had a problem,

BB’s 3 years in no problems still smooth, brakes are 4 years old just had my first very minor problem which they have sorted ,

I’ve just bought a set of Tech 2Evos with cool red ano floating discs and another set of Hope Hoops will be coming shortly in 29er flavour, Hope gear is great for me and with the service I have recieved will go on buying their products.

😀

Hooter
    Free Member

Hope servicing??? I’ve got two pairs of hope hubs which have done c. 10 years service on different bikes. 3 out of 4 of those hubs have never even needed a bearing change in that time 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

They have good service because their stuff needs it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not in my experience. Only had to use their service once in 20 yrs. Had an axle in an early XC hub that broke after 2 years, replaced FOC. Had 3 sets of brakes & 2 more pairs of hubs since, not one single isssue apart from a couple of bearing replacements & I normally ride Yorkshire Dales & NYM.
    Hope every time for me.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Not in my experience either. Hope hubs on all three bikes; Hope brakes on all three bikes; Hope headsets and bottom brackets on two; seat clamps on two. No problem with any of it over 8+ years. Hubs and brakes straightforward to service yourself, spares easily available.
    AND, if it does go wrong, their service (as evidenced by the OP and many other similar threads that come up regularly) seems to be both very good, and personal – I’ve rung them up a couple of times with daft questions and they’ve provided the correct info quickly.

hillsplease

And me. Hope hubs are ‘very good things’ in my experience and shrug off some heinous abuse.

When things do go wrong the feedback of ‘you’re right , that shouldn’t have done that’ on the 3 occasions over 15 years something has gone wrong I don’t think can be bettered.

Albeit my LBSes/s Altrincham Bike Shak and NWMTB are marvellous when my girth and clumsiness get the better of kit designed for folks who can ride.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a C2 rebuilt for pretty much postage costs (it came to about £25, with new pads and a seal kit).

I had some new pad retaining pins for mono minis for free (threaded rods with rubber o-rings).

Just had a fed-ex ‘sory you were out card’ delivered which I think is my rear wheel back from being rebuilt after the hub cracked. Again, for free.

Given a choice I’d buy Hope stuff everytime, IME it doesn’t fail anymore often than everyone elses kit but when it does it just costs you a week waiting for it to be fixed, for free. OK so other brands of hubs didn’t have the cracking issue, but AFAIK they’ve rebuilt any that failed even if wayyy out of warrenty. I even know of one person who sent in a front hub that pre-dated the XC and got a Pro2 back!

xiphon
    Free Member

Because of the reputation, and the ‘stories’ people hear about their service, is what keeps them in business.

For the cost of a wheel rebuild in the LBS, they could use that money to purchase another Hope product.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just got my wheel back, nice new shiny hub with EVO written on it, so it must be good 🙂

Whether it should have cracked in the first place is debatable, but the rest of the hub has been flawless, in the same timeframe my XT hubs ate 2 freehubs and needed plenty of re-greasings, the Pro2 was on it’s original bearings and the freehub had never been touched. Other than early Pro2’s is there any Hope products that’s had a known weakpoint?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Situation normal then 😀

stumpyjon

They support the local mtb community as well. Now if only they’d give a me a job…..

bigblackshed

Hope stuff just works as well as any other similar priced components.

Most of the time better. And the service is far and away superior to the competition.

smiff
    Free Member

I’d love to be able to break a Hope hub.

Hope have a worldwide reputation amongst mtbers, and of course are less common in other countries, adding extra “cache” (i can’t do the accent). would like to know roughly what % of their output gets shipped abroad? the falling £ at the UK recession start also helped them at home, you probably all remember shimano etc went up hugely then.
    Hope Hoops hardly cost any more if you shop around than similar spec budget wheels like Superstar, so in some areas Hope are clearly the best bang for buck around. probably not in all areas though, like brakes.

honourablegeorge

I dunno about breaking more often than other brands – I’ve had four warranty experiences with Hope. Three of those times, they’d have been well within their rights to do nothing at all for me (years out of warranty/stuff broken clumsily by me/etc) but they fixed the problem every time, no questions asked, no postage charged.

Northwind

They replaced my broken rear axle for free, which was very good, but we both know perfectly well it’ll break again because the design’s a disaster, which is less good. And they’ve designed a newer version of the part which does work, but which they won’t give you as a warranty replacement for the old hopeless part, which is not good.

birdage

Tightened up a bolt on a seat clamp which snapped and asked them where to get another one. They sent one out FOC immediately which was fantastic. Doesn’t fit though.

smiff
    Free Member

Northwind, curious which axle you’re breaking? and why would they not give out an improved part if its a drop in replacement?

Northwind

Smiff, Pro 2 12mm rear axle- not enough metal in them, it’s just the same axle design as the QR one but with a big hole through the middle. The Pro 2 Evo redesigned the axle and bearings to make it stronger, and all fits in the same shell. They kindly offered to sell me the parts at RRP…

Alex

I had a few issues with my old vision 4. To be fair it had been through three grim winters. Sent it back probably three times and every time it was fixed without charge and sent back the next day. You could argue stuff shouldn’t break, but it’s a pretty hostile environment especially in winter so it’s great to be able to call a proper northern bloke, and get your stuff fixed so you’re ready to ride.

Hubs are great. Lights are great if a little fragile. Headsets are good. Not a big fan of the brakes but if I can buy hope for other stuff I do.

smiff
    Free Member

Northwind, i’d just run the replacement until it breaks then ask nicely and see if you get a new set of internals the 2nd time. i’m fairly sure others have got that but maybe you need to go about asking in the right way or get the right person. it’s not in hopes interest to keep giving you new axles forever, they aren’t usually stupid like that.

not a massive hope fanboy btw i just think their hubs are great value, and stems, headsets and bbs too mainly because they’re all better sealed than most and with stainless bearings so even when water gets in they tend to keep going longer than most.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Pawl springs gone in 8month old evo hub, Just riding along where wheels built not interested, phoned Hope, set of 4 free of charge in post.
    Brilliant service, thanks Hope and thats not the first time they have been great to me either.
    😆

alex222
    Free Member

Hope are okay if you enjoy changing bearings every 5 minutes.

RustyMac

Northwind please correct me if i’m wrong but i didn’t think the Pro2 evo 12mm axle was fully compatable with the original Pro2 hub. I was of the impression that although the hub shell remains un-changed there were different bearings and a different freehub(Pro3???) to help resolve the cracking problem.

alex222 i have never had any problems with bearings in my hope hubs, over the years i have had/have xc, bulb and pro2 and in general get a couple of years out of them before they need replace which i am quite happy with.

smiff
    Free Member

alex222 (lot of people called Alex here?!)
    you’re kidding right? Hope use some of the best (stainless) bearings around and they’ve outlasted everything else i’ve used (Shimano, SKF etc.).
    headset – never changed the bearings in 6 years, perfectly smooth. bb – never changed the bearings (this one is amazing, i’m changing my other external BBs all the time). front wheel – never changed the bearings, only slightly rough now after 4 years.

Northwind

smiff – Member

Northwind, i’d just run the replacement until it breaks then ask nicely and see if you get a new set of internals the 2nd time.

Already tried that- guess it might work the third time 😉

alex222
    Free Member

I have had countless hope hubs, the first set of bearings last okay. After they go and you replace them then you seemingly have to replace the bearings after every five minutes

Also

Pawl springs gone in 8month old evo hub

Quality hmmmm okay

curvature
    Free Member

I have two good experiences of Hope after sales.

When I built up a new frame last year I needed a 150mm disc rotor. Not listed anywhere but I rang Hope and they said that they used to make them years ago and if I wanted one they could make another for me.

Ordered 2pm on the Wednesday and it arrived in LBS Friday.

Next good experience was for a rubber seal on my old Pro Levers which were at least 12 years old. I rang Hope and enquired about the part, they asked for my address and i said how much and the answer was they they were already in the envelope! No charge.

That’s why I have two sets of Tech X2 brakes, Pro II hubs, headsets and quick releases etc.

hillsplease

Alex 222 – really? I’ve been home servicing mine or over 10 yrs and the bearings last (as with most things)in line with how hard they’re used. The exception in my case being when I went with some posh bearings thinking ‘less rolling resistance’ but weren’t really upto it.

The pawl springs are nearly free and wear over time. On the bright side they tend to keep working unlike my CK hub that had a propensity to undo itself orthe Shimano ones that gave up and wore out the bearing surfaces. The DT ones (including the Trek branded ones) seem alright, but my mate’s have failed so as far as I’m concerned Hope remain my choice (and seemingly that of many) with top service for the fuller figured pedaller.

Happy Easter.

Paul

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘*********Hope what great service********’ is closed to new replies.