Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Hope Vision one light problem
  • nickc

Comes on, goes off straight away, tried new batteries, makes no difference. Anybody had this before? Is there a fix I can do at home, or does it need to go away?

anjs
    Free Member

It does this when the batteries are low. Are you sure the replacement ones are fully charged? Does it do it on all settings?

nickc

AFAIK they are, I'll recharge them again overnight, see if makes a difference. Can't change the settings, it goes off pretty much straight away.

Thanks though

Vinte
    Free Member

Contact hope, their customer service is supposed to be very good. I’ve got a hope vision 1 and I think its great, I use these batteries http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/Info_1NIM-ANS-AA285-C4.html and get close to 3 hours burn time on full power.

nickc

Vinte,
    No worries, already emailed Hope this morning, and as I only bought it in April, I'm sure they'll sort it out. I was just wondering if there was a "fiddle with this" solution is all. Bit cheesed off that a 6 month old light seems to have gone belly up after I've used it maybe 5 times, but these things are sent to try us, no?

nickegg
    Free Member

Mine did that straight out of the box, just send it back and they'll sort it.

Mine's ben working fine now for a year or so.

ahwiles
    Free Member

(Hijack) i'm very tempted by one or indeed 2 of these lights, would 2 of these on my handlebars make a good night-ridiing solution?

500 lumens for £140 sounds good to me…

(i like the versatility and AA usefullness that would give me)

any thoughts?

AndyP
    Free Member

any thoughts?
    pretty much the worst light I've ever tried. Sure you can get much, much better for your £140.

anjs
    Free Member

I have a hope 1 and a P7 from DX. The P7 is a much better and cheaper light

glenp
    Free Member

Hope service is excellent. Presumably they are serious about not getting a reputation for reliability! They have fixed my Vision 2, and they have sent me a new bracket – no fuss and very quick and nice with it!

ahwiles
    Free Member

AndyP:

any suggestions?

AndyP
    Free Member

£140's worth of candles? Some friendly fireflies, trapped in a small jar?
    😉
    The vision 2 is a much better light and you can pick that up for 140 or so, from a quick google.

Speshpaul

Call hope, emails do get answered but not that quickly.
    Batteries- does your cahrger have a discharge function? If so do that then recharge them first. A lot of modern kit requires a minimum about of power from the batteries. When they appear flat (the light, camera whatever won't run) they still have a fair amount of power left.
    They need full discharging to get the best out of them.

Personally i don't get the Hope 1, whats if for? Its not bright enough for off road and that makes it a very expensive road light.

I have a Hope hid and its been very good, i'm not hope hating, i just don't get the Hope 1.

adey205
    Free Member

i run 2 of these and never had a problem. run with hope recommended batteries and get 2-3 hours run time no prob. run 1 bar mount 1 helmet mount, gives good light spread. only got caught out once when i forgot i'd got light on my head(painful landing!)

AndyP
    Free Member

Personally i don't get the Hope 1, whats if for? Its not bright enough for off road and that makes it a very expensive road light.
    it's nowhere near bright enough for a road light.

run 1 bar mount 1 helmet mount
    a Vision 1, helmet mounted? is your neck thicker than one of Chris Hoy's thighs? 😉

nickc

It's not bad as a "chuck in the bag for summer rides when you go out for longer than you thought", and TBH it's fine as a commuting light, and for my missus's night rides round the town with her mate. Wouldn't want to do something mega technical with it, but on well worn routes, even in the woods, it's fine. (If it worked, of course…)

nickegg
    Free Member

Not bright enough for roads….are you blind?!!!!

It's more than bright enough for my commute along very dark somerset lanes!!!

Also makes a flipping good torch for camping and taking the dog out into the garden at night.

However, it's way too heavy for a helmet mounting and i found the beam too small for off-road but i didn't buy it for that.

Think of it as a funky gadget, if you have deep-ish pockets 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

Depends what you're doing off road IMO. I use it in preference to a HID when night riding, as I find the riding more enjoyable with a bit less light. Absolutely fail to understand how it's not enough for road 🙄

AndyP
    Free Member

Not bright enough for roads….are you blind?!!!!

No. I'm thinking more about the big lumps of metal careering towards me at 60mph being able to see me. Bright light needed.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Proper lol! So you find blinding oncoming traffic safer…..

AndyP
    Free Member

Proper lol! So you find blinding oncoming traffic safer…..
    [checks original post. Sees no mention of blinding oncoming traffic. Despairs for what they're teaching kids in school these days]

RichPenny
    Free Member

Let me spell it out for you, with quotes from your posts 🙂

big lumps of metal careering towards me at 60mph

Oncoming traffic, yes?

Bright light needed.

A Hope Vision 1, if used at full power, at the angles required for fast road use, will dazzle oncoming drivers. Suggesting something more powerful? I'd suggest blinding….

Does that help?

AndyP
    Free Member

absolute tosh. Are you trying to tell me that a Hope Vision 1 is brighter than a set of dipped headlamps on your average car?
    If so, you've got a special prototype that hasn't been released on the market. Or, you're talking shite.

And why would the 'angles required for fast road use' for a Vision 1 be any different to the angles required for fast road use on a car? See how cars drive towards each other at night without regularly blinding each other.

Commute every day with a helmet-mounted L&M Arc and two bar-mounted SL2s. Never dazzled a driver. Is fast road use faster than 84kph? I got up to that speed on the big downhill on my commute last night. Several cars came towards me. None of them drove seemed to have a problem.

Incidentally, I work in vision and we're currently doing a lot of research about driving at night, glare and so on. You'd probably be surprised to know that some people use facts rather than idle speculation.

stumpy01

erm…..aren't dipped beams on a car……dipped to point the light onto the road not into oncoming drivers eyes? Whereas the light from a Hope 1 comes out in a symmetrical beam – as much up as down? That being so, I can see how a Hope1 might dazzle people.

And when you are looking towards a light it doesn't have to be very powerful to be seen from a long way off – but that doesn't mean it's putting much light on the ground for riding purposes. I've got an 'emergency' light for riding that is a cheapo 3 LED thing (perhaps by a company called Smart?). On dark roads, it barely makes an impression on them – it's just about enough to make it useable as an emergency, but looking straight towards it from the other side, you can see it from bloody miles off…..

AndyP
    Free Member

aye…dipped beams on a car are dipped towards the road. Bike lights are adjustable on their mounts. If you point them upwards into someone's eyes, you may dazzle them. Surely you have to apply a modicum of intelligence.

stumpy01

Bike lights are adjustable – wow, sounds like you really are an expert in vision. Do you sell TVs or perhaps you are an optician?

I am not saying that either of you is right or wrong so there's no need to get narky & sarcastic – how do you know that none of the drivers you pass are not dazzled? Do you ask them all? Perhaps you do dazzle them, but it's not enough for them to flash you with a dose of full beam or maybe they can't be bothered?

I think what RichPenny is getting at is that fast road use requires a longer beam throw – and he sees the only way to achieve that (I am assuming) is to set the downward angle of the Hope 1 a little shallower).

Even with an adjustable angle for a cycle light, if you have a cone of light being emitted from a source point then even pointing the axis of the cone downwards you may still have the edges of it pointing upwards (depending on the angle of the cone and consequent spread). Obviously a spot type light will have a tighter angle so you won't have to angle the entire light downwards that much for it all to hit the road. With more of a flood style reflector,then even pointing significantly downwards the cone of light will still reach upwards into the trees (which dipped beams on a car don't do). Presumably it is this light that has the potential to dazzle.

This can be easily demonstrated with a set of Lumi halogens with a 12w spot/20w flood. It is possible with only a slight downwards angle on the spot for very little light to be cast upwards into the trees (most of it stays below handlebar level), but with the flood light it has to be pointed a lot further towards the ground before the light is completely aimed downwards.

Surely anyone with a modicum of intelligence can understand this? Or am I missing something?

Vinte
    Free Member

stumpy01

vinte – I think the biggest problem with bike lights is that you end up always wanting more light….

When I first got my Lumi's I was amazed how bright they were. I used to use just the spot for 90% of the time & then spot/flood combo for really tricky stuff.
    Then I started using both lights more & more often as I never used to get close to running the battery out – so that is the new 'baseline' for me. When I go back to using just the spot, it doesn't seem that bright.

EDIT – In reponse to a post that has now strangely disappeared…..

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Why would anyone consider a Hope 1 when the dx light is SO MUCH more powerfull. I have a similar spec Dinotte 140l and even though i paid a lot more for it than the DX light i am not stupid enough to say it even remotely competes. Actually i have to use it as a head torch so that it gets a chance to work on its own sometimes. Otherwise it is completely outshone by its bigger brother.

Speshpaul

Anyway Nick, what did hope say when you rang them up?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Have a look for the thread on here approx 2 weeks ago – exactly the same 'won't switch on' problem.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Hope Vision one light problem’ is closed to new replies.