Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • hope v4 brakes.
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone seen them yet? When are they going to hit the shops? Do they use the same rotor as x2/m4?

Are they going to replace the v2 and m4? If not, where do they fit in?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Only me interested in them then?

honourablegeorge

They replace the V2 as Hope’s DH brake, AFAIK. Use the vented rotor.

As for in the shops, it could be YEARS yet. Hope take their time with proto stuff.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Shouldn’t take them as long with just a caliper change. As for the vented rotor, the v2 works with either. Surely the new brake would do the same.

bwaarp
    Free Member

The v4 vented rotor is totally different if you take a look at the pics, it looks exactly like an M4 rotor just vented – where as the V2 discs are gigantic. Therefore I don’t think the discs are going to be the same as on the V2.

Which is kind of a pain because extra modulation is always a good thing and I was considering swapping the calipers but it will mean swapping out the discs. Might as well sell the brakes in that case – but I don’t think I can justify that.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s what I thought, they look like they run on the normal non-v2 rotors. Looks like they’ve made a special vented version.

Same as you, I’m wondering if it’s worth selling it all to swap over to the v4

godzilla
    Free Member

They run a standard saw rotor and will have a vented option, Hope are totaly doing away with the V2 calipe.
    Dart at Hope said they should be out at the end of the month.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Some info here for you

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Final-Part1-Eurobike-2012.html

Hope’s faithful V2 had been in service since 2007 when it was introduced with the old Moto lever, but with the game of evolution never ending it was time for a refresh and rethink. In its place is the V4, a larger and more powerful version of the M4 and capable of accepting Hopes vented rotors. Featuring longer and shallower pads with greater surface area than the outgoing brake allows all Hope brakes to now use the same depth of rotor. The new caliper is stiffer too, controlled by Hope’s Tech Evo lever with bearing pivots and an increase in power of 15% thanks to revised geometry. The leading piston is 18mm while the smaller trailing is 16mm and stolen from the M4. Lighter, better performing and smoother acting, it should add up to a very high performance brake.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone running these yet? what size rotors and how does that compare to what you had before?

Onzadog
    Free Member

evening crowd?

maslett
    Free Member

Just got a V4 to replace the M4 I had on the front of my bike. Looks like it’ll work fine with the old M4 solid rotor. Initial up and down the road outside the house test suggests it’s a good amount more powerful than the M4 it’s replaced and the new Evo lever feels a lot smoother than the old Tech lever.

Will see what it’s like in the mud and hills Sunday but first impressions are good.

ianpinder
    Free Member

My rotors have turned up at the shop, still waiting for the actual brakes though…

snaps
    Free Member

I’m sticking with V2s & floating non vented rotors – they’ve not missed a beat in over 900 miles of lift assisted riding in the Alps – I don’t need anything more from my brakes.

empireofthefun
    Free Member

Well, I did my first uplift with my new V4’s fitted and all I can say is AWESOME

winch
    Free Member

So, 6 months on anyone got anything to add about the V4’s?

winch
    Free Member

^Nope, nobody?^

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did read a thread recently that implied someone was really struggling to get aftermarket pads for the v4. That made me glad I decided to stick with the v2.

boarder
    Free Member

We have the Hope V4’s fitted on our MTB tandem and they have been great. We have the vented 203mm disc on the front and the standard 203mm disc on the rear.

The noise the vented disc makes after a long descent is not something I am used to! I have posted a video of it here

peterfile
    Free Member

That’s fantastic boarder! You should touch it next time, see how hot it actually is 🙂

boarder
    Free Member

That’s fantastic boarder! You should touch it next time, see how hot it actually is

I will make sure I touch it next time to get the full blister experience 😉

Joking aside it would be interesting to know how hot the rotors actually were.

Clong
    Free Member

I have a pair on my bike, anything that you like to know in particular?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘hope v4 brakes.’ is closed to new replies.