Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope V2's Or X2's?
  • wisepranker
    Free Member

I’m after some Hope brakes and can’t decide between the X2 or V2’s.
    They’re to go on a Stumpjumper FSR which runs 203mm front and 185mm rear rotors. I’ll be running them with the Avid rotors that are currently on there.

Any suggestions?

Stevo210
    Free Member

Hi there, there’s a big difference in power between these two sets.
    Running the V2’s you’ll need to run the v2 specific Hope rotors as the pads are much deeper and need a deeper rotor to benefit from the extra surface area.

The V2’s have a strong bite when they’re warm. Designed as a downhill brake so it all depends on what you’re riding.

Mark78
    Free Member

V2’s have a specific rotor, you can’t use any standard rotors with them.

There have been comments about the x2’s being a little underpowered, fine for cross country duties though. Also the new evo lever should give them some more bite.

The M4’s might be a better choice, or an M4 front/x2 rear combo.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Is the M4 somewhere between the X2 and V2 then?

Stevo210
    Free Member

I’ve tried X2’s, a little under powered for me, (coming from Avid 5, i found them not as good) owned M4’s which were better by some way. Currently running V2 Evo’s and not looked back. Oodles of power and modulation (as all Hope brakes) these just pull you up fast!!!! Wouldn’t hesitate to fit again.
    No good if you’re a weight weenie!

wisepranker
    Free Member

I reckon the M4’s might be the best bet for me then. The V2 sounds like I’ll be over-braked with it!

Braided hoses or not??

Stevo210
    Free Member

Yeah M4’s in between.
    V2 specific discs come in 2 guises, standard and vented. Vented only needed for serious downhilling in my view, you’d have to be motoring to overheat them monsters.

chiefgrooveguru

Race Evo M4 would be my suggestion – lighter, more powerful and (according to those that have used both) better feedback than the Tech Evo M4. No bite point adjust but they feel incredible compared to the Elixir R they replaced! Braided hoses are more damage resistant but I don’t know if they have any other benefits.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope V2's Or X2's?’ is closed to new replies.