Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Hope TRex 40T
  • onlinebully
    Free Member

Tested out the Hope TRex cassette convertor tonight in the mud didn’t miss a beat. Easy to fit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

good to hear, SRAM or Shimano and more importantly what colour?

onlinebully
    Free Member

Black, looks sweet

mikewsmith
    Free Member

gold coming here as soon as the mail gets down under, just got the replacement grips for when I take the twisties off (the hardtail may get an X0 upgrade or 1x) just need the damm ring now and the blanking plate for the front mech direct mount.

MTFU and gone 34 despite the terrain here, 32 probably better but I’m not a fast spinner so I still need something top end.

teethgrinder

Anyone know of a shop local to Newcastle with the T-Rex in stock?

MadBillMcMad

Possibly Daft question.

Is the SRAM/Shimano option to fit an SRAM/Shimano cassette or an SRAM/Shimano chain ?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

the cassette

jonnyrockymountain

mine arrived this morning many thanks 18 bikes, should be set up and riding tomorrow

LoCo
    Free Member

Have a few arrive for my bikes, however they’re next door and my neighbour is out on site 🙁

christhetall
    Free Member

Another possibly daft question

Would it work with a 2×10 setup with a medium cage rear mech, or would you need a long cage

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member
    Northwind

christhetall – Member

Would it work with a 2×10 setup with a medium cage rear mech, or would you need a long cage

It’ll need a fantastic amount of chainslack if you want all the gears to be usable. And mainly what it’ll do is give you a gigantic overlap of the big and little rings.

legend
    Free Member

2×10? so 22/24 x 40t gear? Surely that’s just slower than walking?

Northwind

I’m assuming you whack on a much bigger front pair… 32/44?

carlphillips
    Free Member

just googled them…..how much!… 😯

GolfChick
    Free Member

Got ours installed, tested mine last night and yep perfect, couldn’t even tell I’d altered it from standard.

teethgrinder

Just fitted mine as of 5 mins ago – going to give it a good run out after a bacon sarnie

campfreddie
    Free Member

Fitted this morning. Still a bit of tweaking to do but it works. Fitted the longer b-screw which was supplied as with the standard screw, the cage of the mech was rubbing. Added one set of links to the chain length too.

This is now on my 29er with a 32t narrow/wide on the front. Should be good for pretty much anything now.

twistedpencil

Was thinking I could live without this until I saw the gold version…
    Damn you Hope with your shiny parts 🙂

legend
    Free Member

carlphillips – Member
    just googled them…..how much!…

dinnae worry, Shimano will have their own version out before long to bring things back into perspective

gazb74
    Free Member

Tested mine out yesterday,as smooth as butter very happy with it

chopchop
    Free Member

First ride on mine today, great piece of kit and didn’t miss the 17t gear at all

bikeneil
    Free Member

Do you need an SGS rear mech or would a GS be ok with a 32t chainring?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Going to try mine with a Zee. If that works, GS should.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

It says compatible with XT or XTR cassettes – anyone know why it wouldn’t work with SLX?

Is it because the cog you need to remove is part of the riveted lump on SLX – instead of separate on XT/XTR? – if so, what’s to stop you splitting the cassette down by removing the rivets and re-assembling?

Have done that on other cassettes before to tweak gear ranges/steps.

teethgrinder

It’s easire to split the XTR and the XT as SLX is riveted, yes.

OneUp say theirs will work if you split an SLX on the smaller cogs, so no reason to think a T-Rex would be any different.

Lummox

Quick one for those that have fitted one, mine seems to drop down if I back pedal, frustratingly can’t seem to sort it on the stand. Perhaps an issue with chain line and bigger sprocket.

teethgrinder

Mine does that too, but I’d rather the rear dropped as there are other cogs to catch the chain, than have it drop off of the front (32tNW).

Lummox

Good point 🙂

dirtydog
    Free Member

andysmiff1 – Member

It says compatible with XT or XTR cassettes – anyone know why it wouldn’t work with SLX?

Probably because SLX cassettes are only available in 11-28,32 or 34 and not 11-36.

edit: sorry wrong info I was thinking 9 speed 😳

That was close! 😀

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Zee FR mech and Hope T-Rex work on my Trance X. Used the longer B screw and had no issues.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Just got in from Swinley. Gearing worked really well, except for where I have replaced the 16 with a15……? I can always put the 15 back in, I suppose.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Sweet

riddoch

andysmiff1,
    Arent xt and xtr cassette the ones that let you take out the 17t cog. I think the SLX cassette may be formed of different blocks.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I have a gold SRAM one on order. My 40t General Lee adapter is now pretty worn so I’m going to re-instate the unused top spider on my PG1070 cassette along with a T Rex.

AlexSimon

andysmiff1,
    Arent xt and xtr cassette the ones that let you take out the 17t cog. I think the SLX cassette may be formed of different blocks.

There’s a hack to do it.
    Instructions here:
    http://www.oneupcomponents.com/pages/slx-1080

mcnultycop

Glad it seems OK with a Zee. I’ll be looking at one soon, I reckon.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Just got in from Swinley. Gearing worked really well, except for where I have replaced the 16 with a15……? I can always put the 15 back in, I suppose.

I’ve put one on my wife’s bike, after running a General Lee and putting up with average/poor shifting over half the block, this seems better.

I have noticed they same, the shift from the 15-19 isn’t great, it’s a big jump low down the cassette, so I guess it’s just a bit lazy as the gap is too big for the chain to get picked up on the pickup ramps.

It needs to be feathered with the shifter to work. Everywhere else is mint though.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I also noticed today that after a ride everything is a bit smoother than it was on the stand last night when I fitted the components. Bearing in mind that that involved a new frame and two new cogs into the existing setup,then what I am hoping for is that once everything has bedded in together shifting might be fine across the entire range. I used a KMC X10 chain, but have a niggling doubt that an XT chain might be better. I’m going to try that next. All in all, I must say I’m pleased that the Zee mech works and think the 40T is a good idea. It didn’t really get much use at Swinley, but I know it will in the Alps…

mattjg
    Free Member

Fitted – had to add 2 chain links as was already running a single on the front and 36 at the back. 1 link was insufficient.

Seems to work fine on the stand and up the street, though I am getting the “dropping on backspinning” issue. Likely that’s a set up issue rather than the TRex.

I had to use the supplied longer B-screw, wound all the way in. RM is Shim M786 XT 10 speed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Hope TRex 40T’ is closed to new replies.