Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • HOPE – Sort it out! (Hoping content)
  • preciousmetals
    Free Member

Having ordered a new ceramic bb through one of my relatively lbs beginning of last week.
    They don’t want to send it to my lbs until next week when they’re sending out a wheelset for someone else.

Now I booked my bike in this morning, all dropped off to do other small work on bike.
    Randomly think to phone them up just now to salvage my gritty raceface bb so I can clean and repack to find out no bb in shop for fitting so no pickup this evening.

Ok ok so bit of poor comms on lbs’ part, more concerned and flaming well shocked how Hope treat their customers and outlets for selling their kit.

Now I’m all for saving on carbon footprint but why should I wait 2 weeks for a small item!!!

Bastads stopping me from actually riding as I’m just getting my love for riding and sorting act out.

So here’s hoping HOPE will read this and please if so then I’m not paying for the bb that I should have fitted by this evening.
    So to all those riding around on smooth bbs I am dead envious.

STATO
    Free Member

Are you sure its not the LBS dont want to pay postage for your BB when they have a wheelset coming later in the week. Usually the cause of delays in my experience, but not sure if Hope charge postage like other distributors.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hope won’t send it, or LBS won’t pay the postage for one item?

[edit] beaten to it.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this

Hope have no minimum order threshold, that’s your LBS being shit.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Good point, I did not stop to think that that could factor in here.
    All I know is that my lbs is understaffed and bit over the place currently.
    I shall be having words but it’s not first outlet lbs to state that Hope are difficult to deal with in retrieving parts.

Edit) bummer! It’s not an lbs I use often if at all as it’s 12 miles xc away from me so when I go to collect bike, I’ll ask who wants the first slap! 😯 😛

rOcKeTdOg

hope are well known for sending out small parts (hub pawl springs in my case) for free to my home address so i’m sure they’d send something you’re actually paying for. suspect it is your LBS at fault, more that they should have said, “can we do it next week” and been upfront about it rather than blaming someone else

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Goes against the general consensus then. Everything from warranty jobs to brake caliper servicing seems to get turned around very quickly IME.

I’ve had pawls, seals, pad retaining pins, and even a wheel re-built for free, all posted next day.

p.s. starting a thread flaming the company rarely get’s the right response.

amedias
    Free Member

As above, ordering with Hope is normally as easy as:

…bring bring… bring bring…
    Hope: “Hello Hope here how can I help?”
    LBS: “hello Hope, it’s LBS here, I’d like X of Y please”
    Hope: “Certainly, they should be sent out today or tomorrow!”
    LBS: “thanks!”

Any delay beyond that is 99 times out of 100 down to how/when the LBS pay and whether they have an account or have to pay up front.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you need any help getting all those toys back in your pram?

😀

preciousmetals
    Free Member

So I literally just got off phone to Hope. It appears they had it in stock waiting to be sent with a wheel which is being built.

It seems it was not a split order and that lbs didn’t ask for it to be sent last week out ready for today.

Like said I shall have sternish words. I’m hobestly a no worries easy going type etc but just takes the piss this hooha!

Edit) I was entrusting in the words of my lbs which should tell me the truth on what’s actually going on with my order, it’sin their interest so flaming Hope as you lot put it was what I had been led to believe was correct.

Bollocks! I’ll pick my bike up later and order elsewhere and fit it myself like intended.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hope ordering..Ring Hope
    Them “hell’ope”
    Me “Can order x please?”
    Them “Err we’re out of stock at t’moment.’Ang on (mumble mumble shouty).Aye,they’re putting it on machine now,should be with you friday (it’s tuesday afternoon).
    Me “Err ta”.

martinhutch

Have a look on the Classifieds – i’m sure someone in your area will be selling a BB.. 🙂

CalamityJames
    Free Member

p.s. starting a thread flaming the company rarely get’s the right response.

This. Especially when the company being blamed wasn’t at fault.

dannyh
    Free Member

Hmmmmm.

Poor rant in the round.

Spelling and grammar 2/10.

Blame apportionment 0/10.

Contrition shown 6/10.

Now, order yourself something from Dave Hinde and try again properly.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Lmao @ dannyh!

Now the mess is sorted, apologies given to me.

Catchy headline sure did reel in the trolls.

Goldigger
    Free Member

So much easier to do the work yourself, order a bottom bracket and fit yourself..
    Assuming you’ve got the tools..

preciousmetals
    Free Member

I assume park bb tool for shimano raceface etc will do it then yes, you’re spot on!

I’m learning more to depend on myself to do work on bike which tbf is actually pretty straightforward for most jobs.

Just don’t lend me a bleeding kit to hav a go m8 on a set of brakes as that put me off for life. Contaminants everywhere!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don’t even need tools for a BB really, just someone off the strong handshake thread to unscrew it.

philstone

I’d understood that Hope had a minimum order requirement for bike shops – something like £500 – is that rubbish then?

edd

No minimum order but free postage above a certain order value (I can’t remember what).

bigblackshed

So OP. You come on here, flame the **** out of Hope for doing what they were asked to do by your LBS, then get all arsey at the people who go “normally Hope are pretty good with this, maybe it’s your LBS not telling you the whole story”

I think you need to look at the definition of troll. Then give yourself a stern talking to. And a slap for good measure.

🙄

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Someone teething!

It’s moi the customer here, or are you forgetting that, it’s Hope and my lbs who have jointly messed up causing quite an inconvenience.

It was sorted to some degree all within a few hours today of lots of phone calls.
    End of:

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’ll be sure to update this thread with the outcome of a 1year 10 month old hope pro 2 evo SP hub/Stan’s flow ex, that I sent back to them on Monday.
    It’s been through 3 sets of axle bearings, the last set didn’t even do 100 miles.
    Mind you I had to pay £18 to post it to them…does that mean I can dish hope?

bigblackshed

Goldigger

Hope Pro 2 on mavic open pros. 9 years old, 10k miles roughly, 6 years of those commuting year round. Still on original bearings.

Hope Pro 2 on Sun Singletrack with a SS hub. 5k miles, ridden in shit weather year round. Still on original bearings.

OP.

So, was it Hope or your LBS at fault?

njee20
    Free Member

I’d understood that Hope had a minimum order requirement for bike shops – something like £500 – is that rubbish then

Completely. They always used to charge something like £5 postage though, so unless you were ordering a few bits you’d lose all your margin.

Very few brands have minimum order thresholds of anything like that magnitude (often £50), except brands that are (or are trying to be) a bit exclusive and high end – Assos, Oakley etc. Even then once you’ve done the ‘stocking in’ order they’ll let you order piecemeal for the rest of the year/season/arbitrary account period.

mattyfez

Must be a fitting error, seal not on or something… I really can’t see how you’d trash any hub nevermind a hope in 100 miles..

ratherbeintobago

I’d understood that Hope had a minimum order requirement for bike shops – something like £500 – is that rubbish then?

Depends on distance from Barnoldswick. One LBS I used was the first van stop on the way into Manchester.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Must be a fitting error, seal not on or something… I really can’t see how you’d trash any hub nevermind a hope in 100 miles..

Yeah must be…strange how it’s happened 3 times in a row.
    Besides the hub hasn’t been trashed.

golo
    Free Member

Hmmm. I heard the same story whilst also waiting for a BB tool from Hope. This LBS wouldn’t be in Gloucestershire?

mattyfez

I was kinda refering to the fact it’s happened 3 time’s in a row.. and many people abuse hope stuff for years without issues, somethings obviously amiss bit I suspect it’s not the hardware!

benpinnick

Actually the OPs experience sounds about right. hope won’t part ship so if you order something in stock and something out of stock then you wait for the in stock items. Not the lbs’ fault… Or at least not entirely so. And cancelling / changing an order can be a pain so I understand why they’d opt to wait.

Right now any order with wheels in it is taking longer than the normal 3 days. I guess they can’t make them quick enough at the mo.

jkomo

I emailed Hope to find out if I can get a small part for a hope item. They posted it to me FOC, I offered to pay for postage, they said no need, and it arrived later that week.
    I’m guessing the LBS forgot to order it.

Lifer
    Free Member

It could be the hardware, if it’s damaged or something’s misaligned then that could explain why the same thing keep happening, fixing the symptom rather than the cause.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh golddigger im with you”

15 years of hope hubs , inc original big uns. Still going strong

My new pro 2 evo bought in september lasted 2 weeks before the bearings fell apart. The replacements didnt last much longer so i bought some fancy ones from bearing shop which have been in for 6months .

The third freehub bearing under the pawls before the inner hub bearing breaks up.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Most of the distributors we deal with have a caridge free threshold. Somthimes 4 bikes or maybe £200 at trade price for parts before vat ,

Hope will send even the smallest part out on its own but like many charge postage if you don’t reach the right value
    There are a few exceptions , madison ( shimano in the uk ) will send shimano spares no matter how small post free to shops

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

As said above if you want a small item sent from Hope say a set of Quick releases Hope will charge £9 to send it to LBS so you have to wait till LBS orders something over X-amount then they get free postage just the way it is that’s what happen to me with LBS bit strange on Hopes part as it only costs £2.85 second class with Royal Mail and they would get that at a cheaper rate maybe they just don’t think it worth doing sending small items to bike shops.

Ben_H

Hope Pro 2 (2008): 10,000+ miles on original bearings, used for all kinds of MTB and commuting.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I had some pro 2’s for 5 years and never replaced the bearings, they were still perfectly smooth after all that time.

Even when I bought the pro 2 evos they felt a bit rough out of the box..

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’s only a bit strange if the shipping box/envelope is free and the part teleports itself from stores to despatch and sorts the labeling and packing out. Then does it’s own entry into whatever system Hope use for sorting postage out.

I suspect 9 quid is their *actual* cost for getting something from their stores to the shop. The postage bit is quite possibly the lowest cost of the whole thing.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I hope this is lesson learnt op. One bike is never enough, get yourself a new bike
    And use the excuse, that’s my winter bike, full sus bike, Hardtail bike, fat bike etc etc

Two bikes allow for a ride when one bike just isn’t right

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘HOPE – Sort it out! (Hoping content)’ is closed to new replies.