Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope Singlespeed hub
  • tangent
    Free Member

Anyone care to describe what is the engagement / pick up like on Hopes singlespeed hubs , in comparison to a Chris King?…

Have been using a King (non – disc) for many years, but the time has finally arrived to start running discs so am considering my options…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Never had a King personally, but a mate who ran one on a trials bike was impressed with the pickup on the SS hub. It's certainly better than the XC I have.

noteeth
    Free Member

Tangent – dunno about the hub, obviously… but those pics are well worth the break in Mendip protocol. 😀

tangent
    Free Member

RP…yep have some ProII hubs on my main mtb , and find the pick up a bit slack –had heard the trails / sspd was supposed to be better.

noteeth…having seen the pics, you can always just advice me on the colour!

c_klein87

Hope Pro 2 seemed the best value for money when i got mine, seems better pickup than my middleburn and they look cool and make a wicked noise……

singlespeedstu

I've got both and the Kings's much quicker and looks betterer.

Pro2 ian't bad on pickup though.

noteeth
    Free Member

you can always just advice me on the colour!

Star Wars "off-white". Or Saracen Trekker blue.

tangent
    Free Member

It is true the noise is wicked…middleburn hubs eh?…I'd forgotten they still made them!–using mostly / all British components is quite appealling to me.

Smarty
    Free Member

Don't know how they compare to CK but I can tell you that the pick up on the singlespeed hub is quicker than the standard Pro II due to the pawls in the barrel being offset in the SS.

singlespeedstu

Oh and King colours are much better.

tangent
    Free Member

smarty, so pick is better than the Pro 2s then…that's good to know, but sounds like not as instaneous as King which I really came to depended on.

ah the CK colours :D!…currently thinking of green or possibly brown (as a tribute my old now broken singlespeed frameset) choices , choices

69er
    Free Member

King = bling. Or vulgar depending on your viewpoint. And stupid money. Very pretty, bizarre noise, not without adjustment and engagement issues.

Hope = marginally slower pick up (are you doing Trials, are you really going to notice?) Really nicely made, easliy user servicable, spares are cheap, customer service is excellent too. Did I mention they were British too? 😉

Buy Hope and send the difference (£204!) to the earthquake victims. Good Karma and a good hub for you.

Smarty
    Free Member

Tangent, check out the Hope website for details of Trials/SS hub. The specific rear Trials hub is available with four pawls, offset in two pairs, offering a forty eight engagement ratchet. Standard Pro II is 24, so Trial/SS is twice as quick.
    Also I believe there is a new overhaul, it will from now on have needle roller bearings in the barrel.
    http://www.hopegb.com/voir_rhpr32btr.html

tangent
    Free Member

no hopping (yet!) Kona_ona, but some desperate manouvers are required to keep going along cleanly, mostly it was that I really did the difference when I stopped riding my King hub and started back on the gears…and your point about the cost difference in this time of earthquake crisis is spot on.

been studying the spec's some more now, thanks for link Smarty – there's so much stuff on the Hope site I never quite know what am looking at, and understand that Hope's singlespeed / trails hub offers more points of engagement than the regular Pro 2 I've become used to.

Lastly seems you can get possibly get them in green…decision made! -thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope Singlespeed hub’ is closed to new replies.