Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Hope seat clamp… much cop?
  • alpin
    Free Member

i remember seeing threads of people bemoaning the old style (with the ball end on the lever) style seat clamps. are the new versions up to scratch?

umming and arring between Hope and Salsa.
    ~10€ cheaper from Hope.

cheers

hilldodger
    Free Member

Salsa for the win, but Hope for the 'legendary customer support' 😉

mike_p
    Free Member

A Hope one broke on me once. The 'legendary customer support' came through and replaced it without quibble. I sold on the replacement without using it because there's no excuse for that sort of thing going wrong in the first place.

+1 for Salsa

mr_mills
    Free Member

I got rid of my (new style) Hope because it didn't keep the seatpost in place even when I had it so tight I needed to hammer it open.

I've got a Salsa now and it works properly.

Jamie
    Free Member

Salsa for the win

+8089846737373

…on a Dialled Alpine btw.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Not had any problems with a hope one

robholland
    Free Member

Hope are good, just a Bit** to get undone sometimes and tighten up.

Keva
    Free Member

somebody stole a Hope sedatclamp from my bike… yep, pulled out £200.00 quids worth of saddle & seatpost nicked the Hope seatclamp then kindly replaced saddle & post !

…so I bought a new Hope clamp.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have a couple of hope (old ball end style) and salsa clamps, both in QR and bolt up flavour. They both do the job nicely, but I prefer the Hope QR. Never had an issue with it sticking, or not clamping the 'post properly. It just works.

alpin
    Free Member

yup, i've already got a Salsa clamp on one bike, but CRC don't sell Salsa, only Hope.

dizcostix
    Free Member

just thought i'd mention chromags seatclamp as an alternative. The cam system on it works a lot better than the hope in my opinion.

can't compare it to the salsa though…..

MrGoriff
    Free Member

Have had both old and new Hope and a Salsa. All worked as well as each other, but Salsa would be my choice, just felt nicer.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Had both the QR and the bolt Hope. Didn't like the QR as it slipped. Love the bolt.

allthepies
    Free Member

My Hope QR one snapped in two a few wks back, bought another one to replace it, should have gone for the customer service angle first!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mine snapped. I threw it away.

thefallguy
    Free Member

Mine snapped on the STW ride on Sunday 🙁
    it was a new shape qr version, lbs is sending it off to hope, shame really as I'd just been bigging it up to a fellow rider, saying how it didn't slip and was easy to open and didn't squeak – doh!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

+1 for Chromag. looks cool and the cam seems better. ( i have both )

Helios
    Free Member

I've snapped two old-style Hope QR clamps, neither of which were very good at keeping my seat post in place either…

Are the new ones significantly better?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Had a Hope one explode into my thigh. That hurt a bit.

dogg
    Free Member

brought mine in jan snapped tuesday night sent it back today just have to wait and see fingers crossed

knott4me
    Free Member

im saving for a crank bros one 🙂
    tbh though clamps a clamp it hold the seatpost in place .never used a clamp that deosn,t anything else is just for show.

i have a hope qr one in silver cracked through the main casting.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not looking good, is it?

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

I've got the new bolt up one with the aluminium bolt and insert. I love Hope but its pants. If you ask me, aluminium has no place in that application.

Having replaced the bolt with a steel one its been fine.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Never had a problem with Hope.

Northwind

I'm not a big Hope fan but I don't think there's much wrong with the new one, could possibly do with being just a wee bit longer in the lever as it can be a sod to undo sometimes but other than that, always been fine. Salsa works better on day one but I'm not that convinced mine will last all that well compared to the Hope.

Cronin
    Free Member

Had both Salsa and Hope. Much prefer the hope (old or new style). Salsa seems to cope less well with mud and grime becoming very stiff to open compared to smooth operation of Hope.

firestarter
    Free Member

new hope one just came thru the post looks good to me . used to have a salsa tho and had no probs with that

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

having had quite a few hope products in the past, i opted for a hope 09 qr seat clamp, and i am pretty disappointed too, it slips quite a bit unless its mega mega mega tight, and then makes it pretty hard going to get the actual clamp undone and done again 🙁 i may even go back to a bolt type one, as its probably less hassle to get an allen key and do it that way…

dogg
    Free Member

JUST GOT MY REPLACEMENT ONE BACK IN THREE DAYS NO PROB'S SEE HOW LONG IT LAST'S…….

sc-xc

You can't dip your Nachos in a hope.

timmys

Does anyone else make a clamp that has a bit that covers the frame slot like the insanely expensive Crank Bros one?

http://www.crankbrothers.com/quickrelease_seatcollar.php

Even better if it's a bolt rather than QR.

user-removed
    Free Member

Hope old style clamp on my bike since new. No problems whatsoever. It gets used at the bottom of every climb of more than a few minutes, and again before most descents, so no complaints from me.

I do wonder about the value of threads like these, because as we all know, people are far more likely to pipe up if they've got a complaint, than they are if they are just happy chappies….

jim_bob

I had the old style Hope bolt clamp, it had to be done up super tight to hold the post (and the post was a good fit). The bolt snapped when I was on a biking holiday in Spain, leaving the threaded part in the clamp so it was hard to get it out and replace the bolt.

I replaced it with a cheap one, didn't look as nice but better design (cylindrical 'nut' for the bolt so the bolt doesn't get stressed sideways when you do it up) and much better holding the post in place.

bol

I think it depends on the seatpost as to how well they hold. Always slipped with a Thomson for me, but holds my gravity dropper fine. I have seen them let people down a couple of times though, so I'd go for a Salsa if I was buying another qr clamp.

neilnevill
    Free Member

had an old style hope, snapped one 'ear' off the collar. bought a salsa….snapped the bolt – replaced with high tensile and it worked…. nearly – post slipped though. problem cured with a coke can shim (post was supposedly the right size but is Ti and seems slippy and must be on the small side)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Hope seat clamp… much cop?’ is closed to new replies.