Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Hope rear hub, why the clicking?
  • spikyjames
    Free Member

Title says it all really.

folks keep asking me at work so i thought i'd try and find out.

anybody?

RealMan
    Free Member

Just like a zip tie really. Allows the hub to move in one direction (and clicks as it goes), but not in the other. So you can drive the wheel, but you're not fixed. Basic freehub, you have little pawls pushed into grooves by springs.

Bet you have wild office parties.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Strong springs and deep ratchets makes clicky noise 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Wasn't sure on the clicking at first but now love it – handy for alerting slow/dumb pedestrians and dogs without having to shout at them.

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 surf-Mat

thomthumb
    Free Member

thats how freewheels/hubs sound naturally.

shimano have worked on quieting them (no source on that) whereas hope have not.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Chris Kings make the best noise ever. Sounds like the worlds longest, loudest zip tie being pulled tight.

walla24
    Free Member

hmm you should here the wheels i just built on superstar superlegga hubs, 120 points of engagement! 😀

jamesb
    Free Member

+1 more for surf mat; when behind walkers on trails I just freewheel and loverly ratchety sound from Pro II hubs usually politely alerts them

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it's bling for your ears :o)

spikyjames
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I had one lunatic tell me i needed to put more oil on it not long after i got them!

i do agree, very useful when coming up behind slow folks.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Alerting pedestrians? That's what a ping bell is for.

That and rating women 1 to 5 pings as you ride past.

mudmonster
    Free Member

My pro 11 normal hub sounds much louder and better than my pro 11 singlespeed hub. I tried using oil instead of grease inside but it's still not loud enough.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

That and rating women 1 to 5 pings as you ride past.

I thought you were supposed to crawl along behind panting ?

Pembo
    Free Member

jamesb – Member
    +1 more for surf mat; when behind walkers on trails I just freewheel and loverly ratchety sound from Pro II hubs usually politely alerts them

Pedal backwards when approaching old folk, it makes more noise 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

the only benefit to the otherwise vile noise a Pro 2 makes is that it alerts walkers and is less aggressive than a horn/bell/shout (even a cheery hello can make someone jump and be construed as aggressive). Otherwise I detest it (the Hope XC is much quieter).

mamadirt
    Free Member

I had one lunatic tell me i needed to put more oil on it not long after i got them!

Ha ha – guy in my lbs said the same when I popped in the other day. Told him he was just hearing the sound of quality! 😆

pegglet
    Free Member

think the pro II has 24 clickys and the xc has 48. lots of clickies=quieter…(i think!)

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

36 on XC and bulb iirc, 48 engagement points on Pro2 trials (again iirc) due to offset pawls on same 24 tooth ratchet ring

enfht
    Free Member

Can anyone with a bit of engineering skills please explain how the loud clicking doesn't translate to any added resistance compared to a silent freewheel?

footflaps

It does translate to lost energy, however not enough to worry about.

MrNutt
    Free Member

its science fact that you'll free wheel faster whilst grinning therefore god is in a hammock and all is right within the world

IanW
    Free Member

Dont like the noise either, pack em with grease takes the edge of the clicky,clicky thing.

NigE5
    Free Member

I loathe the noise, I like to wiz silently through the woods. I will be packing it full of grease as soon as I can work out how to get it apart!

stumpy01

I thought the clicking noise was so people at races who can't be bothered to say 'on your right' or perhaps the favourite of mine 'on your left' can just huff & puff behind you while letting their freehub click away at every opportunity for added 'I'm here'.

elaineanne
    Free Member

geez Nig E5 ….dont take it apart ? 😕 lol. i luv the noise…it saves having to have a stupido bell to warn pedestrians…lol 😉

spock
    Free Member

so how do you make it louder? 😀

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I've got some spokey dokeys to compliment the rear hub.

Also, got some Element Technium hubs, which seem to piss on Hope from a great height when it comes to noise.

Not sure about packing them with grease, sound like if it'll quieten the hub it'll be because it slows the pawl return movement down, which will give slower engagement and general gashness. If you like ti quiet you could try…….. pedalling perhaps?

I don't want to be an arse, but can we make sure we're typing Hope II as in Hope Pro 2 rather than Hope 11? Thanks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

louder, fill with oil (something tenacious like gearbox oil or halfords own brand wet lube), rather than grease.

Goldtech recomend oil, hope recomend grease, I've never had problems with either.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Make it louder by running it dry or thin lube if you must put something in there! OOR get a Orange Full sus to amplify the sound through your frame!

The reason the Pro2 is louder than the XC/Bulb is due to it having 4 pawls (think that's the name) as opposed to 3 on the older systems even though they had more engagements.

So less engagements but bigger surface area to slap against makes a louder noise… I'd imagine.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Hope rear hub, why the clicking?’ is closed to new replies.