Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hope R4 LED Epic
  • duir
    Free Member

Anyone used one? What’s the verdict?

nmdbase
    Free Member

Got one sitting here, haven’t used it yet though 🙁

duir
    Free Member

Where did you get it from? Tricky to source.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flow
    Free Member

Wiggle, the only one they had I think. I’m going to try it tomorrow hopefully if I feel better 🙂 It’s a nicely made bit of kit, very small too.

honourablegeorge

Got one from Wiggle a while ago, been impressed with it so far, ordered another for my mate on Friday, it shipped same day, they seem to get stock quickly

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for a while now direct from Hope, it’s a lovely bit of kit, incredibly wide beam, with good depth. It’s brighter than a Maxx-d, with a wider beam – but the throw isn’t as long; if you use a joystick or similar helmet light then it’s not a problem at all.

Battery life is exactly as stated on the box, I never use the highest setting, as it’s not noticeably brighter than the 2nd highest setting – which lasts for 4 hours.

The light was great during Dusk Til Dawn, and I’d buy another if anything happened to this one.

flow
    Free Member

Erm

Simon

I’ve got one. Not ridden with it yet but inital tests show it’s not as bright and doesn’t throw as far as my current light. Battery is way lighter though.

Mugboo

Simon dropped mine off on Friday.

Lovely bit of kit & should be a huge improvement over the DX torch I have been using on my head! Nice and floody.

Just need to drop my Vision 2 off for a Trout upgrade 🙂

Mugboo

Forgot to add.

Join Singletraction and come to 5 trailbuilding days and you get a very healthy Hope discount 🙂

birdl123
    Free Member

Check out magic shines 4led light. A good light for the money, very similar to the hope R4. You can get them off eBay.

nmdbase
    Free Member

I was going to do that but with all of the melting charger stories I gave it a miss. I’m not saying that it is worth £160 more though 😉

walleater

I’ve got an R4 with the upgraded battery (don’t know if that is the Epic, Endurance or whatever). The light itself is super light…..so to speak. I’d thought about mounting the battery to the back of the helmet so there are no cables going into my pack, but resisted so far as it’s not really a big deal.
    Compared to my old Rush HID, the beam is very ‘subtle’, in that it just seems like someone has turned daylight on, rather than a torch.
    I’ve ridden it on a variety of trails above Vancouver and the spread is great for techy trails and still more than enough long distance light for high speed jumpy stuff. Why anyone needs anything brighter for riding around Norfolk is beyond me….

On the lowest light setting it’s also great for commuting. Still pretty bright so anyone can see you, but not toooo dazzling.

dyls

Is the epic / or standard battery quite big? Will it fit on the handlebar or stem? Dont want a battery on my frame.

walleater

The bigger battery (whichever that is), is still pretty small and would fit pretty well anywhere I think, and comes with a velcro strap for easy mounting.

duir
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

I managed to source one from Evans with the “Epic” (3hrs on full) battery. £30 off in sale and £20 off voucher so £245. I wanted the choice of helmet or bar mount and it looks like the battery fits neatly under the stem. Being almost £100 cheaper than the exposure Maxx D sold it in the end. Should be excellent.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Just got back from my first ride and I must say it’s great 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hope R4 LED Epic’ is closed to new replies.