Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope Pro2 hub freewheel sticking – help?
  • bullit
    Free Member

Hi
    Last month I replaced the bearings on my rear Pro2 hub as noticing a bit of play in them – I followed the "how to" guide all went well and seemdd fine for weeks of use. However – now the freehub body seems to be tightening up on the hub and not releasing – this is happening only when the hub is "pressurized" i.e. when the QR spindle is tightened up against the framemount. It seems to be causing the freehub to stick and is intermittent. If you take the wheel out of the frame and spin it it is fine ,and the freewheel is free and all looks good – put it back in and it siezes up. I disassembled the hub the other evening , cleaned it all thoroughly, replaced the plastic seal behind the freehub body with a new one and lightly re-greased and assembled – but still it is doing the same thing. Any ideas what I am doing wrong or what is happening?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Are the two spacers swapped over? They look the same but are slightly different lengths and what you are getting is what happens if you mix 'em up

foxyrider
    Free Member

have you forgotten to put the hub spacer back in?

thomthumb
    Free Member

what tj said – odds on the washer is missing or wrong.

bullit
    Free Member

Arghh….could be ! might have swapped the spacers over by mistake and not realising they were slightly differnt sizes. The washer is definately in place correctly reehub body though. Will check it out tonight and swap over the spacers. Many thanks!
    C

foxyrider
    Free Member

If you have the end spacers on the wrong way round – not sure if you can actually do this but…… One is black and one is silver – The drive side whould be the Silver end cap/spacer:

And ND side/disc side whould be Black:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I thought there were two internal sleeve spacers? am I mixing up differnt hubs? One 14 mm long one 16?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I am not aware of any spacers apart form the end caps, hub spacer and the ring inside the freehub?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Must be me getting muddled then – sorry

coatesy
    Free Member

Yep, it'll be the old XC hub you're thinking of.

coatesy
    Free Member

Shouldn't be the end caps if that's what you're talking about,and you say you've remembered the washer.Only really two things left then-bearing siezed/mis-aligned, or the plastic seal not seated in the hub body/fitted backwards(recess should be on the inner edge).

coatesy
    Free Member

Unless, of course, you've left the spacer out from inside the freehub.

devs
    Free Member

Sounds like the spacer is missing as shown in foxyrider's pic.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Dragging up an old thread as I have the same problem with a brand new Pro 2 Evo hub.

Clamping up the QR up tight causes the freewheel to stick. Loosening the QR lets the freewheel work again. When the freewheel is sticking, the chain goes slack on the top as the wheel spins. It seems to ‘pulse’ and tight, loose, tight, loose, etc.

Stripped, checked and all pawls, washers and seals are in place correctly.

All I can think is frame alignment is causing the hub to tighten out of line, but the through axle should be keeping everything square. Any ideas?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Finally figured it out after some trouble shooting.

Whipped the labyrinth seal out and rebuilt it and it ran perfectly, so checked the seal carefully and found it had a large notch in it, looked like a flat blade screwdriver impression, maybe from fitting, which must have been catching on the pawls when clamped down causing it to lock up. Shaved the notch down, refitted the seal and all runs well now. Was like this from new so will see if I can get a new seal from Hope.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro2 hub freewheel sticking – help?’ is closed to new replies.