Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hope Pro2 10mm Bolt-Thru – Questions
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Whilst I'm rebuilding my Blur, I thought I'd look into making the rear end bolt-thru by changing the axle for a 10mm hollow one from Hope. But I've got a few questions.

Firstly, is pulling out the old axle etc and fitting a new one easy enough? I'm guessing its a straightforward job.

Secondly, will I notice any difference switching from a 9mm QR setup to a 10mm bolt-thru setup with allen key bolts (or with a Superstar/NC-17/DT 10mm QR)? Don't really want to spend £30 at least on something that makes no difference!

Thirdly, has anyone got any experience of which 10mm QR is worth a look? The DT ones I've head odd stories about the RWS(?) mechanism failing. On the other hand, I've heard some decent stories about the £8 Superstar one? You'd think a QR would just be a QR but after using Hopes and Shimanos, you get to know that not all QRs are created equally!

Cheers
    Dave

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh tis easy to change the axle – just pull out the old one like doing a bearing service and replace the axle.

I have a DT Swiss RWS system and I have threaded the mechanism on the rear and had to bodge it – I did over tighten it I think that is the problem. Otherwise works well on the front (9mm) and is still OK after a year!

Rickos
    Free Member

1. It's quite easy. I use an old seatpost shim to help knock the bearing off the axle and then pop it back on the new axle. I'm sure there'll be destructions somewhere on t'web.

2. I doubt you'll notice in all honesty. I've got a Prophet MX with 12mm bolt through and a Kona Howler with a QR and can't really tell which is stiffer.

3. Dunno.

Got your mail about the frame – cool that you're keeping it. A legendary frame to be sure.

retro83
    Free Member

On the other hand, I've heard some decent stories about the £8 Superstar one? You'd think a QR would just be a QR but after using Hopes and Shimanos, you get to know that not all QRs are created equally!

I'm using this, it's working very well so far.

As for the difference, it made a massive difference on my Meta 5, not so much on my RC405

StuE
    Free Member

Easy to fit (video on Hope's website)
    Have DT RWS on one bike and the Superstar QR on another, prefer the Superstar one to be honest.I couldn't tell if it,s stiffer than with a QR

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ta all. Might get all the gubbins ordered over the weekend then!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro2 10mm Bolt-Thru – Questions’ is closed to new replies.