Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope pro11
  • 1kcove
    Free Member

I have a hope pro11 with Stans Flow rim when i’m climbing the rear wheel starts creaking, checked spokes all are tight, narrowed it down to the floating rotor replaced it this has cured some of the creaking but it’s still there & it’s very annoying any idea’s.

nixie

Starting a little basic, is the QR done up tightly?

How old is the hub? Has it been serviced recently?

What frame are you using, does it have pivots near the rear axle, could it be these?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

freehub bearings worn allowing it to move in relation to the hub?

1kcove
    Free Member

Qr has been changed & it is tight
    The hub is 6 months old
    The frame is an Orange 5 (New) also this wheel was on my previous bike with the creaking.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Had the same problem on an old Marin. Under power the rear axle moves slightly in the dropouts causing the squeaking. A small amount of grease round the dropouts and the QR stops it. It doesn’t stop the movement but the joint is no longer dry so it doesn’t squeak

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Plenty of grease on the QR skewer? I’m always surprised by how much difference that makes.

MartynS

have a REALLY good look at the hub particulally around the spoke flanges

the result of a creak under load.

I have to say now Hope were brilliant at sorting this. It was an 18 month old hub and when contacted apparently said “ohhh sounds reet f**ked, send it back” 2 days later new hub.

I will only buy Hope hubs now!

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

My front makes pinging noises like a spokey kind of sound.

Checked all the spokes and am starting to think they are just amplifying the sound from the bearings that feel about ready for a change.

I would check bearings as just in case.

warpcow
    Free Member

Remove the wheel and clean all the surfaces between the QR and the dropouts. It’s usually the most common cause of a creaky 5-rearend.

Edit: missed the bit about it creaking on the old bike (assuming that wasn’t a 5 too). Probably bearings.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

THIS IS IN CAPITALS BECAUSE OF THE FOLLOWING!!!!

I HAD A CREAK/CRACKING NOISE UNDER LOAD FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS, TRIED ABSOLUTLY EVERYTHING, FROM NEW REAR MECH, MECH HANGER, FULL STRIP DOWN ETC ETC ETC COST ME A SMALL FORTUNE…

HAD THE BEARINGS REPLACED AND SHAZZZZAM THERE WERE TWO CRACKS IN THE FLANGE BITS (WHERE THE SPOKES CONNECT IN THE HUB) I HAD PREVIOUSLY HEARD ABOUT THIS, AND CHECKED BRIEFLY WITH THE WHEEL ON….

I SUGGEST TAKING THE REAR WHEEL OUT, CLEANING OFF ALL OF THE OIL/MUCK AROUND THE FLANGES AND LOOK FOR TINY HAIRLINE CRACKS…THATS WHAT MINE WERE…SENT TO HOPE, REPLACED FOC AND WHEEL REBUILT FOC AND POSTED BACK FOC! SUPERB STUFF!

OHHH AND CREAK GONE MORE IMPORTANTLY 😉

1kcove
    Free Member

Thanks for your thoughts? they were helpful so sending it back to Hope it’s still under warranty.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro11’ is closed to new replies.