Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hope pro II rear hub- should it be this loud??
  • walla24
    Free Member

😀 tasty new rear wheel courtesy of STW classifieds….
    uh yeah but the freewheel 'click' is pretty noisy!
    this is normal yeah?
    just wanted to check 🙄

grumm
    Free Member

Yup.

bruneep

wot he said^

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Indeed, i had the exact first thought, and what comes across as an 'annoyance' to begin with, the click fastly becomes the greatest asset to your bike 🙂

People moveeee out your way 10meters ahead, fantastic 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sadly, yes. They all sound like a skeleton having a w@*k in a biscit tin.

AndyP
    Free Member

no, it should be louder. Think the bastard offspring of a campag freehub and a White Industries ENO freewheel. mmmm…clicky.

garyfisher
    Free Member

If you want it quieter, take off the freehub and add more grease.

btbb
    Free Member

I got used to the sound and like it now, although if you don't like the click keep pedalling

ski
    Free Member

This is what mine sounds like 😉

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfD_7m_c5Fg

(its not me singing btw, towing two singing kids in a trailer)

peachos
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Sadly, yes. They all sound like a skeleton having a w@*k in a biscit tin.

hahaha, brilliant!

i hate the noise from a proII read hub

tinsy
    Free Member

ski thats great, loved the little voices singing…

Olly
    Free Member

its not a click like a steel hub, or a tinkle like a ti freehub body.

its a football rattle.

if you open it and put heavier lube in it quietens down, if you put a blob of grease in it goes away completly.

or strip it, flush it clean, and put some VERY light lube in and youll need ear-defs

DaveGr
    Free Member

I don't like the sound on cheeky night rides but it's the greatest thing ever when you're coming up behind red socks – just free wheel 20 feet behind them and they swiftly move out of the way as they have no idea what's about to mow them down 😀 Works much better than any shouts of "excuse me"

cymohndee
    Free Member

Sorry, what was that? I can't hear you… I'm just freewheeling down this here hill. Got these swanky new Hope hoops…

ski
    Free Member

Does anyone have problems with pro2's hubs creaking?

I am 90% sure mine is creaking after trying to pin down a creak on my bike?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup they're just loud enuff to warn wandering walkers 😀

Ski -> are you sure it's not the QR's?

scruff
    Free Member

Ski- check its not cracked. Mine went from driveside flange to halfway across the shell.

ski
    Free Member

Ski -> are you sure it's not the QR's?

Well I did a wheel swap and used the original (Hope) qr's with another wheel and it stopped.

Soon as I put the pro2 back on it was creaking again, I thought it might be down to the freewheel playing up, well that's what's I am going to check next.

ski
    Free Member

Thanks Scruff, will do.

MrNutt
    Free Member

love it!!

pondering-panda
    Free Member

I've got a steel hub body on mine and I can't say its noticably quieter. I've also got a SS/trials hub which creates more of a buzz than a click (still loud though).

They are loud, but its still a price worth paying for the quality and reliability.

As an aside. I recently had a problem with my hope stem – one of the bolts snapped. I phoned up Hope and they took my adress and sent me four new ones in the post – no questions. Top customer service! Recomended!

walla24
    Free Member

😆
    haha cheers for the replies people…made me chuckle!
    everytime i ride and hear the clicking the image of a skeleton will pop into my head 😆
    peterpoddy and ski 😀

nsaints
    Free Member

I greased mine up with some water proof marine grease and it's almost silent now…kind of prefer it that way now

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Will packing the ratchet and pawls not make the hub susceptable to failure? Surely the pawls are designed to engage fully into the ratchet. If you pack the ratchet with grease you may be causing the pawls to not engage fully and thus cause possible freewheel slip or even failure.

From what i saw its for a good reason that the freehub is noisy. The springs are well designed and the pawls engae with a solid action.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Will packing the ratchet and pawls not make the hub susceptable to failure?

That's certainly the advice on the Hope 'how to service your hub' video. A little bit of grease on the pawls/ratchet, but don't pack it.

I love the sound of a Hope rear hub!

nsaints
    Free Member

sorry, this is turning into a bit of a highjack now

TheLittlestHobo-Point taken and completely agree
    I'm not talking overpacking the hub so the pawls don't engage just the lightest smear has quietened up the noise considerably
    My assumption is that the pawls have a 'softer landing' in the more viscous water-proof grease rather than some of the watery properitory cycling greases
    I'll pull the hub apart again and inspect whats going on

Oggles
    Free Member

I love the sound. In fact I don't like riding bikes with quiet freehubs. I will do, but it just feels like somethings missing!

Hairychested
    Free Member

It's so loud on purpose – you shouldn't be hearing any other rattles from your bike.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Its something i considered tbh when fixing snapped springs in mine. I dont imagine it will cause too much problems but i know when i cleaned mine out and replaced with a good quantity of grease it actually got louder 🙁 It brought me to the conclusion that in order to quieten the hub down you had two choices. Let enough crap get in there that A) The springs snap in 3 of the 4 pawls so you have no rathcet but a semi working freehub like mine was. Or pack it so full of grease that the pawls get damaged. Chances are that if you put a reasonable amount of grease in there it will in a short space of time just dispearse from the impact area that makes the noise anyhow.

End of my 'talking outta backside' session.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro II rear hub- should it be this loud??’ is closed to new replies.