Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope Pro II Rear Bearing Relacement
  • greasystain
    Free Member

I've found the bearings. I've seen the video.

Is it really nessasary to buy the 'special tool' or is this something else that can be done with a bit of initative?

nosedive
    Free Member

do you mean that block of metal they use to drift the bearings in ? I did a front bulb without that tool but for the sake of the £10 or so it costs I would probably buy one next time, saves the risk of damaging the hub or bearing. I'm sure you could knock something up if you have a lathe, but I dont

br
    Free Member

TBH While it is perfectly feasible to do it with whatever bits 'n pieces you have lying around, just buy the kit – then its very easy.

greasystain
    Free Member

OK so the tool is a htt174. Any idea where I can buy one?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

18bikes

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whe you do it heat the hub. tie a rag around it and pour boiling water over it – it makes it much easier

cynic-al
    Free Member

put lots of grease in the bearings too.

SBrock
    Free Member

Buy the whole kit from 18bikes @£19.50 and you get all tools to do F & R Pro IIs,also they are the cheapest for SKF bearings for said hubs!

DrP

I'm sure the correct tool does it easily enough, but I found that a bench vice, plank of wood with a 22mm (i think) hole drilled in it, and some 16mm sockets worked a treat….

DrP

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Just did mine. With a bit of silicone lube the bearings slipped onto the axle easily enough with a just bit of body weight behind it, and then only a gentle tap to get the bearing to seat in the hub body.

I was surprised at this, since changing the bearing in my old bulbs was rather more difficult – the interference fit must be a little looser on pro2s.

SBrock
    Free Member

I'm sure the correct tool does it easily enough, but I found that a bench vice, plank of wood with a 22mm (i think) hole drilled in it, and some 16mm sockets worked a treat….

16mm sockets are chamfered……the correct tools are not so you will risk damaging the new bearings

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I used a seatpost shim that was the right size.

cynic-al
    Free Member

the interference fit must be a little looser on pro2s.

erm I'd guess it's more about tolerances…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II Rear Bearing Relacement’ is closed to new replies.