Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hope Pro II hub – Pulled Spoke
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Spoke the the nice chaps at hope and I think even though they are 4 year old wheels they are gonna replace it for free 🙂 They said "they would sort me out" 🙂 Good old Hope 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yay! Our products fail but we replace them!

foxyrider
    Free Member

In their defence I have 3 wheelsets with hope hubs and they are all fine apart form this one. The other wheelset is 5 years old and still going strong 🙂 YOu live up to your name Cynic-al 😉

whytetrash

Yep..new hub after 4yrs…don't think I'd be complaining 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

My point is they get lots of praise for this but 've never seen a Shimano hub fail in this way – and that is more deserving of praise.

slowrider
    Free Member

ive bust a few shimanos cynic-al, plus a ringle and a chris king, and yes a hope too, like the one above only three spokes instead of one. hope were the only ones i had any warranty luck with, they had it back to me fully built up and ready to go in 3 days.

i dont expect stuff to last forever, i break stuff all the time. its such a bonus to not have to pay for replacements though!

whytetrash

Yeah see your point on that Cynic al..bust a couple of Hopes, couple of ringle's too, but all back in the day and radially spoked…all replaced under warrantee…I assume Shimano are maybe tougher cos there's a bit more material (and therefore weight) to them. Got some Mavic road hubs on an old winter bike that must be 20plus years old and still going strong!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think its cos Hopes are machined and not cast.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I guess thats the price we pay for lightness over strength – well its the first hub I have ever busted in 17 years of biking (6 of which with hope hubs ) 🙂

foureyes
    Free Member

Foxyrider – who made the wheel? them or someone else? if its not them then thats great service. actually, did they do the hoops thing that long ago?

wonder how many hubs theyve made now? its a magic formula theyve got there

sorry that made little sense having my friday tipple today

foxyrider
    Free Member

I made the wheel after re-building (DT Swiss spokes and 5.1D rim) it when I mashed the rim of a pre-built one. They didn't ask about sending the wheel so I took the wheel apart (again) and shall re-build another if/when they send a replacement 🙂

No they didn't doo the hoops thing – they were all custom builds in those days 😉 (well I think you could only get hand built wheels with hope Pro II's or factory built ones but not from hope – I stand to be corrected 😉 but these were OEM on a marin MV )

nickegg
    Free Member

They'll replace it IME.

I did the same thing to an XC hub about a 18 months ago. That hub had come on my 2007 Marin Wolf Ridge and wasn't even made anymore and they still replaced like for like so you should be fine.

Cynic-al: Pretty sure the basic billet is cast to approx size then machined as with most 'machined' hubs.

Marmoset
    Free Member

They did the same for me with a 5 year old xc hub last year. Can't complain about that kind of back up…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I've got a 15 year old hope ti glide hub in daily use. So don't knock hope too much.

MartynS

do I win??!

Bike shop rang Hope who apparently said "sounds like its reet f@cked, send it back and we'll sort it"

angryratio
    Free Member

Hope are brill..
    my pal has a hope xc they replaced free of charge.
    It was 10 years old, he said "i've ridden trials, downhill, xc, jumps and a trip to les gets on it, the body has cracked"

Fine, erm, just bung it in post with a note..

Cue new, shiney silver xc turns up 2 days later.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Machined components should, all else being equal, be stronger than cast ones. Machining work-hardens the machined surfaces, giving significant improvements in strength. Forging is stronger again as it effectively work-hardens the whole component. Casting is generally the weakest manufacturing method.

All very general of course and going on some now pretty old engineering school memories!

18bikes

and current hope hubs are forged, then machined – so a win win there?!
    piccie here and more of the factory here

18bikes

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hope sorted my big un hub from the tandem FOC outside of warranty. Terh only hubs that don't break on tandems are the chris king tandem special and rohloffs. I couldn't afford either

foxyrider
    Free Member

Update: A new Pro II Rear hub is on its way back to me today 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty sure that Hope (and most other machined brands) are machined from billet while Shimano are made from a forging which is one reason why they fail less (but I've still broken one…)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Bikemagic quote 1 year ago:

We've only just found out that Hope hubs are now machined from forged blanks, with all the grain alignment (and reduced waste) benefits that that brings. Apparently this has been happening for months, but in typical Hope style they didn't really mention it at the time.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah right, good news then

foureyes
    Free Member

18 bikes – thanks for the tour link, really enjoyed that. great stuff

nickegg
    Free Member

Foxy…Glad to hear they sorted you out, hoped they would! (sorry!!!).

It's that reason i love Hope stuff, it doesn't have to be faultless when customer service is so good. The fact they can replace something like for like when they don't even sell that particular item (an XC hub) is great.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II hub – Pulled Spoke’ is closed to new replies.