Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hope Pro Evo 2 F & R service what tools?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

http://www.justridingalong.com/pro-ii-evo-complete-tool-kit.html

Hi , have got acquired some of these and would like to do a service , what tools are required and are ther e cheaper versions?
    Thanks!

wwaswas

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/423/httpro2evo/hope-pro-2-evo-hub-tool-kit-complete.html

is everything bar the hub support (which is worth having)

Make the job a pleasure.

Northwind

Hammer, punch and socket set is all you need. Well, you can do it with less but this makes it easy. And it’s universal, works on other hubs

But if you don’t already have a socket set inc deep sockets then the hope kit probably makes sense, it’s pretty reasonably priced

br
    Free Member

Buy the Hope ‘blanks’ kit and a rubber mallet – and know which way the axle comes out of the rear 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Mallet and socket set plus some kind of bar to punch bearings out. I’ve always done this and the hubs have survived rather nicely.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

May I suggest that you obtain a 200mm length of 12mm threaded bar and a few 12mm washers and of course some 12mm nuts, I have found that even using the correct hope drifts you can still end up with lumpy bearings.
    Oh and a pair of 19mm spanners !

germolene
    Free Member

I too have these and wanted to give the hubs a re grease. I became stuck at the first obstacle with the outer caps or whatever you call them. One only has to pull them off no thread but they are stuck too.
    Any ideas?

oxym0r0n

Outer caps need to be pulled off with a vice or a pipe wrench – just grip the brass bit and wiggle a bit!

Northwind

Aye, mole grips and twist, don’t just pull. You’ll usually get one off easier this way and then tap out the other with a long rod.

Digby

Outer cap removal :

Park Pedal Vice (e.g. AV5) popped in a vice.

Gently nip up the end cap in a suitable slot and then rotate pulling hub/wheel in upward direction

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Mallet, socket set and molegrips it is then thanks all

raisinhat
    Free Member

Don’t 20mm end caps have a circlip inside them as well? All other adaptors are just press fit. Remember to grease them when you put them back on as well!

br
    Free Member

Eh?

Why not buy the right tools, rather than just buy ones that can do the job – if you do it right.

Northwind

b r – Member

Why not buy the right tools, rather than just buy ones that can do the job – if you do it right.

Because sockets do it exactly as well, while the Hope tools will still do it wrong if you screw it up. And the Hope tools are only good for that one job- best of luck fitting different sized bearings with the Hope set, or a bolt.

It basically comes down to whether you already have a socket set, or if you don’t, whether it’s something worth you having. If the answer to these 2 questions is no then definitely buy the Hope set. After that, it’s personal taste.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Just make sure the sockets are deep enough, my Halfords professional ones bottomed out when doing the NDS bearing.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

b r – Member

Eh?

Wild guess here…he’ll already have those tools and not need to buy anything.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ah , I only have a 16mm and 21mm deep socket , all the others are normal. Will my hope hubs die?

br
    Free Member

The kit is £21, how much is a new hub?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Tru dat

Northwind

howsyourdad1 – Member

Ah , I only have a 16mm and 21mm deep socket , all the others are normal. Will my hope hubs die?

No matter what, your hubs won’t die. Unless you’re a spectacular div anyway but then you could probably destroy them with the hope kit. The 21mm might do the job but I think i usually use a 22- it depends on outer wall thickness though.

Basically, if you use too small a tool it’ll be on the rubber seal instead of the outer bearing race and you’ll kill the bearing. If you already have the bearings you can just sit one on the socket and see how it looks.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i am a div but not in a spectacular sense. i think i’ll get the kit

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro Evo 2 F & R service what tools?’ is closed to new replies.